Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Jev/N wrote: »
    No offence but I wouldn't be getting bogged down in such detail, as it will gain you very little in the exam - you need breadth not depth!

No offence taken, but does anyone know the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

Hopefully someone can help me.....studying for criminal law fe1 (among others) on my own....

1. I dont seem to have any notes on the Nally case - lawful use of force/self defence....if anyone has any they would like to pass on, would appreciate it as I have minimal time!

2. Has s52 of the 2001 Children Act been enforced as of yet? I know most of the other provisions in this act were but has this one? it concerns the age of criminal responsibility.

3. Also, have registered for Griffith one day revision course and was given access to moodle but cant seem to find anything on it! no notes, sample answers, homework questions Nothing......nada.....zilch!

Would really appreciate the help here peeps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PC021

I'm totally depressed and in no mood for studying my last FE1's...no hope of an apprenticeship/legal traineeship- so I ask you, WHATS THE POINT?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

so I ask you, WHATS THE POINT?!!
    If you ever figure it out, please let Legal Eagle know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pansoul

PC021 wrote: »
    I'm totally depressed and in no mood for studying my last FE1's...no hope of an apprenticeship/legal traineeship- so I ask you, WHATS THE POINT?!!

There are at least two points:

1. You have a better chance of getting a traineeship if you have the FE1s in the bag. (and you have to pass the FE1s before starting a traineeship anyway.)

2. There is always a point to educating yourself. Widening your knowledge base is one of the most valuable things you can do for yourself. Learning should not be viewed solely as a means to an end. Maybe try to enjoy the learning aspect without getting bogged down in the career thing - it may just liberate you. If you start struggling with that after a while, then switch back to the career as your motivating force. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

i know alot of people are down about the whole no jobs thing but can we concentrate on what somepeople feel might come up in oct 2009 exam, no point in thinking about a job if you do not do well in the exams! my tutor thinks for equity injunctions (quia timet or mareva) proprietary estoppel, it no alot but maybe it is some help, any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Does anyone know what the best way to dress to a trainee interview is? (female)

Hair up/ Hair down?
    Trousers/skirt?
    Grey Suit/Black suit?

I noticed recently that solicitors wear allot of black....and i just bought my first suit and its grey.

I know this sounds very superficial but just want to fit in. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

macy9 wrote: »

Hair up/ Hair down?
    Trousers/skirt?
    Grey Suit/Black suit?

I noticed recently that solicitors wear allot of black....and i just bought my first suit and its grey.

I know this sounds very superficial but just want to fit in. :o"

I’ve a few suggestions but I think its better I keep them to myself. Why don’t you try the ladies lounge

O and never try to fit in try to stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Legal Exec wrote: »
    Hi People,

You should be aware that the above aren't that hard to obtain- the snag is that many solicitors are being paid to tutor/enroll trainees by the trainees or the trainee's family- some of these trainees are experienced legal execs!!

The trainees then work pro bono between the PPC 1 & PPC 2 & recieve tuition.

It's actually this new form of contract that is keeping struggling solicitors going and the trainee's dreams alive.

I don't know if this is good or bad news to some of you but it's certainly happenin, just don't ask me to reveal were as that would breach people's right to privacy....

Legal Exec,

Are you telling the truth in the above statement?

You make it sound like one merely has to walk into a solicitor's office and offer payment to secure a training contract.

I've mentioned to a good few solicitors that I'm willing to pay a 'tuition fee', but none of them were interested. Some even seemed to be taken aback at the suggestion that I would carry out the apprenticeship on an unpaid basis. Maybe I'm unlucky or else I'm not looking in the right places. Can you pm me the names of some firms engaged in this practice as I'm desperate to start in Blackhall at this stage.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Hair up/ Hair down?
    Trousers/skirt?
    Grey Suit/Black suit?

I know this sounds very superficial but just want to fit in. :o

Dress smartly and concentrate on what is in your CV so you can answer questions, not on what you are wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

panda142 wrote: »

3. Also, have registered for Griffith one day revision course and was given access to moodle but cant seem to find anything on it! no notes, sample answers, homework questions Nothing......nada.....zilch!

Brian Foley from GCD here. I'm sorry about this and I'm more than annoyed its happened. You should have no moodle access for this course, as all the material is provided hard copy on the day - i.e. the past papers with all the past solutions. I have no idea why the office is giving out moodle access which would only serve to infuriate a student when they see nothing on it. My only guess is that once you are on moodle, you can receive central communications easier so that yu could be contacted if needs be. All the material advertised is provided, don't worry about that.

EDITED - I've checked with office. This seems to relate to the system of student registration. A GCD student is automatically given a moodle username and the moodle sections for the One day courses were generated *simply* for that purpose. It must be really frustrating to pay your money and then see a blank page, but they never, ever, should have lead into that blank page in the first place. I hope this makes some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

Hi Guys,

I've just been flicking through the thread and starting to get a bit worried... I am about to embark on FE1 study today (or tomorrow...) and I am wondering if I have really left it too too late? I have already done 2 of the subjects which I am going to sit in June as part of my degree and am doing two others. I am abroad at the mo but have materials with me and and will be home the month before the exams, so I figure if I really work hard (no job) and put my head down I can do it from manuals (2 subjects) and class notes (other 2)...right?
    Just wondering if I am a bit mental or if it's doable.

Cheers :-)

JoannN wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've just been flicking through the thread and starting to get a bit worried... I am about to embark on FE1 study today (or tomorrow...) and I am wondering if I have really left it too too late? I have already done 2 of the subjects which I am going to sit in June as part of my degree and am doing two others. I am abroad at the mo but have materials with me and and will be home the month before the exams, so I figure if I really work hard (no job) and put my head down I can do it from manuals (2 subjects) and class notes (other 2)...right?
    Just wondering if I am a bit mental or if it's doable.

Cheers :-)

Dont make the mistake of thinking that notes from a degree course will be of much good to you for the fe-1's. what kind of degree did you do where you did not cover all of the fe-1 subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

Sorry, what I meant was that I am sitting two subjects in October which I have studied THIS YEAR (i.e. which were part of my final exams in June) - the other two subjects I studied in first and second year therefore I decided that the added extra of the manuals would give more structure to my studying as I havent really looked at those two since then (i have a law degree). In some cases my lecturers have written the leading books on the subjects, so I figured that the manuals couldn't really add much to that...:D

JoannN wrote: »
    Sorry, what I meant was that I am sitting two subjects in October which I have studied THIS YEAR (i.e. which were part of my final exams in June) - the other two subjects I studied in first and second year therefore I decided that the added extra of the manuals would give more structure to my studying as I havent really looked at those two since then (i have a law degree). In some cases my lecturers have written the leading books on the subjects, so I figured that the manuals couldn't really add much to that...:D

I have a law degree i also have my fe-1s passed :D. make life easy for yourself get the indep or griffith college manuals. you have loads of time.

sorry had another think about it dont bother with the manuals. since your only slightly pressed for time why dont you sit down with km kelly on the constitution learn it off and do the same with the other leading books your old lecturers have written. I'm pretty sure the manuals wont add to those books. maybe next you can expalin to the law society about the books you lecturers have written and they might let you set the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I'm quite sure that is breaching one of the conditions of your attendance at the lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

enry wrote: »
    I have a law degree i also have my fe-1s passed :D. make life easy for yourself get the indep or griffith college manuals. you have loads of time.

sorry had another think about it dont bother with the manuals. since your only slightly pressed for time why dont you sit down with km kelly on the constitution learn it off and do the same with the other leading books your old lecturers have written. I'm pretty sure the manuals wont add to those books. maybe next you can expalin to the law society about the books you lecturers have written and they might let you set the exams.

Ignore this pile of nonsense, this thread is full of this sort of crap, why are you being so sarky with this guy? Hes not yet finished his degree and never done an FE1 and your patronizing the s$^t out of him? if you've nothin good to say buzz off imo. Could you not have offered some help or something, to hell with your attitude anyway.

OP learn the manuals, learn how to apply the law to a problem question - its not about writing all you know, state it clearly - make a decsion on what would happen, or what might happen or what can happen in the question - explain the grey areas of the law if they apply, raise issues and dismiss them if they dont apply there will only be three to five major issues - be decisive and know what you know no spoofing - do that and you can pass FE1s. Its obviously a little different for the essay questions. Also as someone posted earlier on the thread its quantity not quality - again though a high quantity of good quality knowledge will stand to you!, dont get too bogged down in the minute detail of it - thats why the minute detail is'nt really in the manuals - it will be in the texts your talking about.
    ___
    I always thought it a good idea to have a couple of topics where you had extra knowledge from a text book just a few extra cases or something other than that the manual is the only job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lawstudent85

• I'm studying property law using an independent colleges manual that is about 6 months old.
    • It contains loads of reforms from the Land and Conveyancing Reform Bill 2006.
    • The Bill seems to have gone through the Dail and some of the sections are changed (should I be studying this version instead??)
    • http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2006/3106/document1.htm
    • The Bill was signed into law last month: http://www.linexlegal.com/content.php?content_id=99530
    • but doesn't seem to come into force until October or december?
    • In the exam should I be discussing upcoming reforms as set out in the Bill that came through the Dail (and ignore the stuff in the manual)
    • Or should I be discussing it as if it is current law? if it is current law why can't I find a copy of the Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

• I'm studying property law using an independent colleges manual that is about 6 months old.
    • It contains loads of reforms from the Land and Conveyancing Reform Bill 2006.
    • The Bill seems to have gone through the Dail and some of the sections are changed (should I be studying this version instead??)
    • http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2006/3106/document1.htm
    • The Bill was signed into law last month: http://www.linexlegal.com/content.php?content_id=99530
    • but doesn't seem to come into force until October or december?
    • In the exam should I be discussing upcoming reforms as set out in the Bill that came through the Dail (and ignore the stuff in the manual)
    • Or should I be discussing it as if it is current law? if it is current law why can't I find a copy of the Act?

A "please" or a "thanks" may go a long way to getting you answers to your queries. All ill say is that you dont need to know the act for this sitting though knowing the more relevant provisions may earn you brownie points. However, it will be compulsory for next sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Anybody know how many cases they did for Constitutional law? There seems to be 100's in the manual.

I know all of the major cases well but that's unlikely to be enough.

Do people learn everything? I almost understand Separation of Powers perfectly now but it has taken me hours. Chapter 8 alone (Griffith 09 manual) mentiones around 25 cases.

I know the really long chapter about unspecified rights is really important too.

Is EU law easier than Constitutional? I find Constitutional very interesting but it's difficult and time consuming.

Can anyone suggest how many hours a day they worked on Constitutional in order to pass it?

I'm stressed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

sunnyside wrote: »
    Anybody know how many cases they did for Constitutional law? There seems to be 100's in the manual.

I know all of the major cases well but that's unlikely to be enough.

Do people learn everything? I almost understand Separation of Powers perfectly now but it has taken me hours. Chapter 8 alone (Griffith 09 manual) mentiones around 25 cases.

I know the really long chapter about unspecified rights is really important too.

Is EU law easier than Constitutional? I find Constitutional very interesting but it's difficult and time consuming.

Can anyone suggest how many hours a day they worked on Constitutional in order to pass it?

I'm stressed!

Im having a similar problem. Have you looked through the constitutional papers yet? boy do they ask questions on anything and everything. It is a very interesting subject but extremely time consuming and saturated with cases. The due course of law chapter which is very important has some 50 cases and any piece of that chapter can come up.

Im basically learning as much as i can but im doing 3 or 4 more subjects too so time is of the essence. What i am concentrating on is SOP, due course of law, the president(due to come up) and as many rights as i can learn. It is a subject where there is frequent mixing of topics within the questions for example inviolability of dwelling crops up now and again in due course of law and rights, right to livelihood and privacy often play a small part in a few questions therefore i wouldnt devote huge hours to one specific topic, try and cover more topics but perhaps dont learn as many cases, you really dont want to be in a situation where you can answer 4 ques and have no material to answer a 5th!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Does anyone know what the story is with the Charities Act 2009 in relation to charitable trusts? Is the Act published yet and if so do we apply it in a question using the common law caselaw and citing the provisions of the act??

Any help would be much appreciated..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Does anyone know what the story is with the Charities Act 2009 in relation to charitable trusts? Is the Act published yet and if so do we apply it in a question using the common law caselaw and citing the provisions of the act??

Any help would be much appreciated..

Yes the act has been enacted. It has been so for quite a few months so i would say its applies. The main points of interest to take from it are that Lord MacNaghtens 4 categories have been specifically included so it is statutory law that such a trust must fit within one of these categories. It also expressly states there must be a public interest. Aside from that I would just apply as the normal caselaw etc and not worry about it too must besides the aforementioned provisions.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Lads I'm just reading the 'pains' some people are having with constitutional.

My advice (and this goes for all of them) is understand a bit about everything. The caselaw can be volumous but the key is not to try and remember a ream of caselaw but just the more important ones. The rest merely reiterate or back up the seminal ones.

You will know which ones are the seminal ones because they will be discussed the most in the textbook/manuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tevez101

Hello, how much of a disadvantage would it be for me to become a solicitor with a Finance degree from UCC rather than a Law degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

Not that much of a disadvantage, people from all walks of life take FE1's successfully, I have a Law degree and was out of study for 3 years before embarking upon FE1's, so I found it all almost new , get a plan together and materials and you will be fine,

Two to do, Company and Equity any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yellar

Tevez101 wrote: »
    Hello, how much of a disadvantage would it be for me to become a solicitor with a Finance degree from UCC rather than a Law degree?
    i think its great that you'd do the fe1s with a finance background! the firms love anyone who is different... i should know. ive a degree in law & masters in commerical law and still cant get a traineeship!!!!

re exams - have all but constitutional passed. the one exam in mar/apr i came out of and thought i did ok in that and failed miserably... im going to hit panic mode as i cant seem to firgure what the consitutional examiner looks for. maybe is something "different" too :-)

re the company exam - the course is kinda short! its an ok one.
    re equity - study estopple. comes up everywhere you have it covered from land!!! dont quote me on that tho. think one or two other bits overlap with land aswell. cant really exactly remember. you should check you notes out. might save some time for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yellar

enry wrote: »

Hair up/ Hair down?
    Trousers/skirt?
    Grey Suit/Black suit?

I know this sounds very superficial but just want to fit in. :o"

I’ve a few suggestions but I think its better I keep them to myself. Why don’t you try the ladies lounge

O and never try to fit in try to stand out.

i went to an interview coach for a traineeship interview there about two years ok. its all well and good to stand but dont do it with your clothes! the look at you an think will i send her to meet a client. first inpression by appearance! i wore a brown suit to this mock interview and he told me that was immediately the first thing wrong! i think grey is a good choice tho. and your hair can be up or down but out of your face ( that was his quote) make up and jewelery - understated. hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

Thanks for advice, Its the changes in Company Law I'm worried about and possible questions arising therefrom, any advice there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

errrrr...what changes??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement