Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

Companies Amendment Act 2009 , Is that examinable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

I dont know, how long has it been since its been passed? Ive heard of it but havent looked at it yet. Is there anything major in it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Dante09 wrote: »
    I dont know, how long has it been since its been passed? Ive heard of it but havent looked at it yet. Is there anything major in it??

It was enacted on the 12th of July I think so you should be ok but is a link to a nice short summary of the changes:

http://www.landwellglobal.com/ie/publications/landwell_the_companies_amendment_act_2009.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DryBlanket

Tevez101 wrote: »
    Hello, how much of a disadvantage would it be for me to become a solicitor with a Finance degree from UCC rather than a Law degree?

I have an Engineering degree and have passed all 8 exams. Not having a legal degree is not a significant disadvantage. Once you get through FE1's you should be so well immersed in legal knowledge as to be comparable to a law degree.

DB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Just wondering does anyone have any FE1 griffith or independent manuals for sale from 2009. Need company and constitutional! Drop me an email at sjred1@googlemail.com

• Advertisement

legallad wrote: »
    It was enacted on the 12th of July I think so you should be ok but is a link to a nice short summary of the changes:

http://www.landwellglobal.com/ie/publications/landwell_the_companies_amendment_act_2009.pdf

Thank you kindly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Does anyone remember what issues came up in the last sitting of Equity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

legallad wrote: »
    Im having a similar problem. Have you looked through the constitutional papers yet? boy do they ask questions on anything and everything. It is a very interesting subject but extremely time consuming and saturated with cases. The due course of law chapter which is very important has some 50 cases and any piece of that chapter can come up.

Im basically learning as much as i can but im doing 3 or 4 more subjects too so time is of the essence. What i am concentrating on is SOP, due course of law, the president(due to come up) and as many rights as i can learn. It is a subject where there is frequent mixing of topics within the questions for example inviolability of dwelling crops up now and again in due course of law and rights, right to livelihood and privacy often play a small part in a few questions therefore i wouldnt devote huge hours to one specific topic, try and cover more topics but perhaps dont learn as many cases, you really dont want to be in a situation where you can answer 4 ques and have no material to answer a 5th!

Thanks, I think I've done around 100 cases, there's around 20 seminal cases, the 25 from Chapter 8 and quite a few others but I think I'm going to stop at this. Hopefully the seminal ones cover most things. I looked at the due course of law chapter too. A lot of the cases are repeating from other chapters. From now on I'll concentrate on exam questions I think.
    I'm just going to read the book as much as I can and concentrate less on details.

QUOTE]
    yellar wrote: »
    re exams - have all but constitutional passed. the one exam in mar/apr i came out of and thought i did ok in that and failed miserably... im going to hit panic mode as i cant seem to firgure what the consitutional examiner looks for. maybe is something "different" too :-)

This is why I'm so worried, why do so many people fail it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

As a practising solicitor I am a little worried about people studying for FE exams who haven't already properly studied a course in the usual legal subjects.

There seems to be a culture of trying to guess or work out what will come up in the exam, and then just preparing those topics. Not the best preparation for the practice of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Legaleagle123

Hi,

I'm just wondering how people are getting along with Consitutional? I'm finding it very difficult. I did Consitutional in college years ago but you seem to have to know alot more for this exam. I'm finally on my last 2 FE-1s and really want to get them out of the way this time so I can go to Blackhall next yr!!! I have the manual for Independent Colleges but it's massive!!! I'm considering doing the intensive revision course at one of the colleges, any advice???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Hi, I'm doing constitutional this time and im currently waiting on my manual to come from griffith so hopefully i wont get a shock when i get it. The intensive revision courses for griffith are over now but i did them for other subjects and found them useful. They highlight the important topics and main aspects of each and tell you what subjects you can skip. The independent courses are starting on 17th September so maybe you could go to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Legaleagle123

Hi,

Thanks for that. Pity they are over but I will look in to the Independent one but it's very expensive €175.00!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

Craig and DeBurca EU Law for sale,
    Nutcases EU Law,
    EU treaties and Legislation 2007-2008,

Friel - The Law of Contract

also make that grade - Tort

Richard Stone - Contract Law

De Burca, Drunken Driving and The Law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rumpole

Hey Guys,

Looking through the boards and you guys seem an awful lot more clued in about this process than I am, this of course does not help my already dangerous level of panic, however I thought that I should ask you guys for some help as opposed to walking the plank...

My request is simple, can anyone offer some tips/advice/predictions on the following:
    • contract
    • constitutional
    • criminal
    • tort
    Thanks guys, keep it country!!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

rumpole wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Looking through the boards and you guys seem an awful lot more clued in about this process than I am, this of course does not help my already dangerous level of panic, however I thought that I should ask you guys for some help as opposed to walking the plank...

My request is simple, can anyone offer some tips/advice/predictions on the following:
    • contract
    • constitutional
    • criminal
    • tort
    Thanks guys, keep it country!!

Big ask dude :rolleyes:, theres a whole pile a stuff in there ya know, my 2 cents - learn as much as you can and know how to answer the questions, ( i put up a post kind about how to answer a while back but its fairly common knowledge im sure you have a study guide from GCD or someplace with that in it ) you cannot really leave much out if you want to go in there with any comfort, there is no pattern forget the prediction thing spend the time learning the extra bits its time better spent, you have a good mix of subjects id recommend getting Criminal learned asap as the key there is the legislation the case load is low enough for it and constitutional and tort are a step above Criminal and contract ( contract prob to a lesser degree ) in that they are more difficult so you'll end up putting more into Tort and Constitutional, some find Criminal a pain, it is a walk in the park in comparison to Con. or Tort imo. That said I had to repeat Criminal and passed Constitutional first time but it was all down to how I spread my time.

Best of luck, another thing is get the legislation and the Constitution as early as possible you might not use it ( i never used them much and have 7 fe1s ) much but can put you off if you only get it the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Beeinmybonnet

I'm screwed in Const, the book is SO long and in-depth. Not long left to go now and I'm just trying to skim over everything without getting bogged down but easier said than done. The exam papers are so tough, I'm really starting to panic now. It's taking me hours to read the material let alone learn it!! It's definitely the worst one of the lot. I used to hate Tort but I don't mind studying it this time as it's so much clearer than Const.

I'm screwed in Const, the book is SO long and in-depth. Not long left to go now and I'm just trying to skim over everything without getting bogged down but easier said than done. The exam papers are so tough, I'm really starting to panic now. It's taking me hours to read the material let alone learn it!! It's definitely the worst one of the lot. I used to hate Tort but I don't mind studying it this time as it's so much clearer than Const.

Im studying for it too. At this late stage id say you're best off focusing on learning off:
    1) as many rights as you can,
    2) all the criminal related stuff
    3) separation of powers (including non justiciable issues)
    4) constitutional interpretation
    5) president (due to come up)
    i dont know because i havent sat the exam yet but I reckon knowing the above should get you through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Hi All,

Hope the study is going well. i did the griffith college distance prep course and looked at the lectures on moodle.... can anyone enlighten me as to whether Jennifer gave any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dromineen

Hi

If anyone is interested in Independent College Manuals for the next round of exams please contact me.

I have Criminal, Company, Contract, Equity, and Land Law manuals plus exam questions from Sept. 2008.

I have EU, Tort and Constitutional Law manuals plus exam questions from April 2009.

If interested I also have copies of Blackstone books, nutshells and other forms of legislation.

I am based in Cork if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

You're not screwed. Look, the examiner doesn't require dissertations at all. It's knowing primarily enough to be able to say "oh this is a question about Article 38.1 and I know enough about that to know that it permits be argue that (a) a prosecution can't be too late in the day and (b) unfair pre trial publicity may be a bad thing and knowing a few cases on each.

Essentially, you need to get the point where you can look at the table of contents and would feel confident about giving a brief "radio interview" 30 second explanation about all of the topics and sub-topics. If you can do that, and know a few cases on each, you'll be fine. It's mainly about the ability to see the issues in the paper, which is just something that people are not doing.

The reason people fail constitutional is because they just don't spot the issues. At most (at this point) try learning about 1-2 lines per case. Each topic can be reduced to an A4 page of skeleton notes.

And, in any event, this close to exam, go get yourself a shorter text - Fergus Ryan second edition nutshell or something to that effect and it may help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Dante09 wrote: »
    5) president (due to come up)

I really, really, really wouldn't be thinking like this. Of course, now I've posted this it will obviously come up to make me look silly, but there is no such thing as something "due to come up". The examiner doesn't look at past papers when setting exams, he just sets exams! He doesn't pour over his patterns to see what is "due" and what is not. Rather, the exams have tended to reflect (as is reasonable) what is "hot" in the examiners mind whether that is because of topical issues (e.g. election question in election year in 2006 etc), or his own specialties (media, privacy) or matters on which he has written (balance in family). Those are the only rational guides. Sure, on the basis that something can be said to be "due" to come up, how does one explain the (I think) October 2008 essay on Article 45? And when is that "due" again?

Don't want to put you off, but just don't gamble such an important exam on those kind of assumptions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nr46

Hey guys,

im new to this thread and just wondering if anyone has any advice re the company exam? i have the griffith manual but there are 24 chapters in it!!! Im not sure what to study and what to leave out? any tips/advice for me?

also anyone know what came up in the april company paper?

thanks for your help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anybody know the dates for the FE-1's after christmas? Tried the law society site but the only list the ones in Sept/Oct...

If they havent been released yet what dates roughly will they take place, like guessing from previous years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anybody know the dates for the FE-1's after christmas? Tried the law society site but the only list the ones in Sept/Oct...

If they havent been released yet what dates roughly will they take place, like guessing from previous years!

March/April - usually the week between. Why do you need them so early??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jev/N wrote: »
    Why do you need them so early??

Just for planning a trip away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PC021

Can anyone please tell me if anyone got any tips for Tort maybe from the Griffith lecturer or whatever...thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Hey guys, where can I buy the official companies acts, and also anyone know about how much they cost?

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Hey guys, where can I buy the official companies acts, and also anyone know about how much they cost?

you can buy them in university book shops (or in shop in the four courts i presume) I think its around 70/80 eur

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

vote4pedro wrote: »

Buy it in Hodges Figgis....It'll cost you 78€ for Courtney's consolidated version, but importantly at the moment, they have that stamp saver scheme, whereby you get one stamp for every 10 euro spent...so you'll get it for 68 euros in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

is it possible to sue Blackhall under Article 40.4 of the Constitution for breach of my right to liberty?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement