Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

is it possible to sue Blackhall under Article 40.4 of the Constitution for breach of my right to liberty?[/quote
    Please state your case..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

just wondering is anyone doing 5+ fe1s, if so how are ye getting on study wise? my brain is fried.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Well if its of any consolation, im "only" doing four but because 3 of them are on on the trot, that kind of means that there wont room for inter-exam revision....ergo....my brain is also fried. You should try it with maple syrup..its quite yummy:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rocksteadykk

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone out there has a second hand copy of the consolidated companies acts for sale? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone out there has a second hand copy of the consolidated companies acts for sale? Thanks

Cleaning out my drawer today, need to get rid of the following:

• McCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963 – 2006, Student Edition, Tottel -- €50 + P&P.
    • The Compiled European Community Treaties, including the Single European Act and the Treaty on European Union -- €25 + P&P
    • Succession Act -- €25 + P&P
    • Exam Papers & Exam Reports from April 08 & April 07; Exam Reports from October 08, October 06 and October 05 -- €20 + P&P

Based in Meath if anyone wants to collect.

• Advertisement

They're 68 new! How are you going to justify selling them second hand for 60 + p&p????!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

They're 68 new! How are you going to justify selling them second hand for 60 + p&p????!

Haha, by using market forces to determine the price I can sell it at! (I thought they were €80 new; my mistake.)

Farcear wrote: »
    Haha, by using market forces to determine the price I can sell it at! (I thought they were €80 new; my mistake.)

I could give you 35 euro for them if you still want to get rid of them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Anyone selling a Tort Fe 1 manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lougem

rbag wrote: »
    Anyone selling a Tort Fe 1 manual?

No, but I'd love to swap a sample answer or two I've prepared with you or anyone else, just to see if I'm on the right track...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MickCD

Hi,

I've got a copy of the McCann & Courtney Tottel Student Companies Acts 1963-2006 for sale. 50e (+ p&p if outside Dublin)

Its in perfect unmarked condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LawyerGirl

Hi Guys,

I have griffith college manuals for EU, property, company, constitutional, criminal and tort for sale. PM if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Anyone else doing EU? I'm having a look at the syllabus now and trying to cut out a few topics, thinking of covering:
    • Sources
    • General Principles
    • Supremacy / Direct Effect / State Liability
    • Institutions
    • Legislative Procedures
    • FMO Goods
    • Quantitative Restrictions
    • FMO Workers
    • Fo Establishment
    • FTP Services
    • Citizenship

That look enough to get away with 5/6 questions on the exams, or am I going to have do the hllish Competition Law and stuff like Equality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Post deleted by Mod

I think I speak for everyone in this forum when I say that we got the idea after the first 3 posts! Also it's a blatant breach of copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Jev/N wrote: »
    I think I speak for everyone in this forum when I say that we got the idea after the first 3 posts! Also it's a blatant breach of copyright.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Farcear wrote: »
    Cleaning out my drawer today, need to get rid of the following:

• McCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963 – 2006, Student Edition, Tottel -- €50 + P&P.
    • The Compiled European Community Treaties, including the Single European Act and the Treaty on European Union -- €25 + P&P
    • Succession Act -- €25 + P&P
    • Exam Papers & Exam Reports from April 08 & April 07; Exam Reports from October 08, October 06 and October 05 -- €20 + P&P

Based in Meath if anyone wants to collect.

Hi,

I was wondering if you still have the McCann & Courtney Comapanies Acts and the succession act? is the succession act the official gov copy?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Dante09 wrote: »
    +1

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Beeinmybonnet

Does anyone have the Constitutional Law Nutshells for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rumpole

Hey guys,

Is there any new law/legislation to crop up in tort or criminal, Im thinking of the legislation aimed at gangs, any predictions for crim or tort would also be greatly appreciated, thanks guys, this thread is a life saver!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

I'm sorry if this has cropped up ten times in this thread but I've read as many pages as my eyes allowed me before going crosseyed, and didnt find an answer also the search function keeps cutting out words and just giving me results for the word 'prep', even google didnt give me any results for 'sitting fe1's without prep course'

Anyway, I am just wondering if it is realistic to pass 4 fe1's in April without a prep course if I started studying now? I finished 4 years legal studies in college in May if that makes any difference. I can get law books from the college library and also plan to buy some Independent college manuals

I dont see much point spending 1500 for four subjects to read from books you can buy for a couple of hundred and study at home, the fact I can get homework corrected etc doesnt really make up the price either

Maybe I'm wrong but 1500 is alot of money to me

Also what is the usual four that people sit first?

• Advertisement

SteJay wrote: »
    Anyway, I am just wondering if it is realistic to pass 4 fe1's in April without a prep course if I started studying now? I finished 4 years legal studies in college in May if that makes any difference. I can get law books from the college library and also plan to buy some Independent college manuals

Also what is the usual four that people sit first?

You'd be absolute fine, if you started now you'll have a huge amount of time, most people would start studying around Jan/Feb and despite a few miserable weeks in March get through it. And with all the extra time you could get by without doing the courses, but it would be worth picking up either recent Nutshells books or the manuals (wait about three weeks and I can sell you mine! ;) )

Most people seem to sit the likes of Constitutional, Contract, Tort and Criminal first in my experience, but its up to the individual. Keep in mind the first sitting is the hardest, you have to pass 3 subjects. After that you can pick them up in ones and twos. So it's not a good idea to do all your hardest subjects first, most people would start with their personal better subjects so to make sure they get over that 3 exam pass limit.

vote4pedro wrote: »
    You'd be absolute fine, if you started now you'll have a huge amount of time, most people would start studying around Jan/Feb and despite a few miserable weeks in March get through it. And with all the extra time you could get by without doing the courses, but it would be worth picking up either recent Nutshells books or the manuals (wait about three weeks and I can sell you mine! ;) )

Most people seem to sit the likes of Constitutional, Contract, Tort and Criminal first in my experience, but its up to the individual. Keep in mind the first sitting is the hardest, you have to pass 3 subjects. After that you can pick them up in ones and twos. So it's not a good idea to do all your hardest subjects first, most people would start with their personal better subjects so to make sure they get over that 3 exam pass limit.

Thank you for your reply Pedro

I didnt know that about passing the first 3 exams. What are the nutshells books you mentioned?

Im gonna wait until the September exams are over then I should be able to get the manuals and use them for the april exams

Do the manuals change at all between exams or are they always pretty much the same?

SteJay wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply Pedro

I didnt know that about passing the first 3 exams. What are the nutshells books you mentioned?

Im gonna wait until the September exams are over then I should be able to get the manuals and use them for the april exams

Do the manuals change at all between exams or are they always pretty much the same?

There's not usually a great deal of change in the manuals from one sitting to the next, as there simply won't be a huge change in laws across various issues in a 6 month period. This time EU manuals might change a bit, if Lisbon is passed it'll mean a bit of re-working to be done (and if I were you I'd put that off until the law becomes a little more settled and sit next Oct instead).

Nutshells are like Rapid Revision books for each Fe1 subject, available at Hodges Figgis or any college bookstore. And yeah, the first time you sit the exams you need to sit at least 4, and pass at least 3 of those. So if you do 4, and only pass 2, they don't count and you'll have to resit those exams next time and hope you pass 3 at the same time.
    Once you pass the initial 3, you're allowed to 'keep' a subject if you passed one and failed the other 4 for instance.

There's not usually a great deal of change in the manuals from one sitting to the next, as there simply won't be a huge change in laws across various issues in a 6 month period. This time EU manuals might change a bit, if Lisbon is passed it'll mean a bit of re-working to be done (and if I were you I'd put that off until the law becomes a little more settled and sit next Oct instead).

Nutshells are like Rapid Revision books for each Fe1 subject, available at Hodges Figgis or any college bookstore. And yeah, the first time you sit the exams you need to sit at least 4, and pass at least 3 of those. So if you do 4, and only pass 2, they don't count and you'll have to resit those exams next time and hope you pass 3 at the same time.
    Once you pass the initial 3, you're allowed to 'keep' a subject if you passed one and failed the other 4 for instance.

Thanks again for your help pedro
    I think your spot on with the EU law, I'll definetly keep that until next october. Thats the one I'm dreading the most anyway! I'm going to start studying in October.
    One more thing, Is the syllabus list on the law society accurate as a study guide?

tbh I never looked at it once. I just go by the chapters in the manuals, looking at past papers and some exam grids (avail on the google fe1 group). THat gives you a much better idea of what's actually examinable, what the major topics are and what some minor, short answer questions are, I'd imagine.
    Like I said send me a PM in a couple of weeks if you want some of the manuals going cheap!

tbh I never looked at it once. I just go by the chapters in the manuals, looking at past papers and some exam grids (avail on the google fe1 group). THat gives you a much better idea of what's actually examinable, what the major topics are and what some minor, short answer questions are, I'd imagine.
    Like I said send me a PM in a couple of weeks if you want some of the manuals going cheap!

Will do pedro

What manuals will you have? I'm thinking of doing Equity, Crimnal, Contract and Tort first
    There's no point in me really starting study then until I get some manuals so maybe I'll wait until mid-october to start

Sure drop us a line when your finished with them and what you want for them etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

Does anyone have the Constitutional Law Nutshells for sale?

I do ,

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

can you highlight your copy of the Irish Constitution for the exam, it says unmarked on the law society website but it also says that for the EU Treaties also.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kd28

can you highlight your copy of the Irish Constitution for the exam, it says unmarked on the law society website but it also says that for the EU Treaties also.:confused:

Yes you can highlight and can use tabs, coloured tabs etc but no writing numbering etc.

• Advertisement

kd28 wrote: »
    Yes you can highlight and can use tabs, coloured tabs etc but no writing numbering etc.
    is that the same with the EU treaties? So you can stick tabs in, but cant label the tabs "FMO Goods" or anything like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement