Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I worry about that myself. I havent started looking for a traineeship yet waiting for the result of these exams, if i get them that will be 5 under my belt. However im almost 32 and have 2 children - 22 month old and 5 week old and am worried with all the competition do i have too much baggage.
    On the plus side i have 7 years experience in the finance and motor industries so hoping this might set me apart. It something i have always wanted to do but wanted to have children first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mwalshe

42 years old, have 7 out of 8 passed, waiting for Torts results........still intending to get a training contract and practise.........it ain't over until it's over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 YBIWSI

Attention Fe-1 students

Three-day work experience position available in large Dublin City Law firm from Monday 7th December to Wednesday 9th December inclusive.

Role involves court filings together with bank, post and general admin duties.

Would suit individual sitting or planning to sit FE-1 exams.

Please PM for further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

i.e your looking for someone to do three days free work for you?!

Number of solicitors with no work... loads
    Number of people with Fe1s that cannot get a traineeship.....loads
    Unemployment 12% or that?

The look on your face when a bit of legal experience comes along....... :confused:

for gods sake fair play to this person for having an opportunity of some description and going to the bother of posting it, I'm sure this is long gone if I were in Ireland i'd have taken this like a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

i.e your looking for someone to do three days free work for you?!

We get a cv every other day looking to do my job (legal exec/apprentice) for free. I'd well imagine he'll have more than enough applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Wow congrats mwalshe on getting 7, and hopefully you will get the 8:-) Results out soon. I have to reiterate, it is great to see older people going for these exams:D
    mwalshe wrote: »
    42 years old, have 7 out of 8 passed, waiting for Torts results........still intending to get a training contract and practise.........it ain't over until it's over!!

YBIWSI wrote: »
    Attention Fe-1 students

Three-day work experience position available in large Dublin City Law firm from Monday 7th December to Wednesday 9th December inclusive.

Yes, I might be interested. Can you supply more details please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PC021

It aint over till it's over...quality statement!!
    thats put me in the right frame of mind there now for getting that dreaded A4 brown envellope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mwalshe

dammit, if you want to do something, do it!
    doesn't matter if you're 32, 42 or 52, does it??
    even with 7 passed, still dreading the old envelope..........probably didn't pass either, but there's always next march??

Right on:D Yes there is always next March, good luck next week.

mwalshe wrote: »
    dammit, if you want to do something, do it!
    doesn't matter if you're 32, 42 or 52, does it??
    even with 7 passed, still dreading the old envelope..........probably didn't pass either, but there's always next march??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smurfness

Rocker wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake. I meant the ones at the start of October.

Law Society told me today they're hopefully posting them tomorrow (Friday)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 YBIWSI

YBIWSI wrote: »
    Attention Fe-1 students

The above position has been filled.

Many thanks to all who emailed expressing interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Just got this email...

"Dear All,

The Law Society has confirmed that the results will be sent out by post tomorrow evening, so you should receive them early next week.

Best of luck!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

- Commission v Council (“ERTA”) [1971] ECR 263;A
    - Amministrazione deel Finanze dello Stato v Simmenthal [1978] ECR 629;
    - Brasserie du pecheur v Germany and Factortame iii [1996] ECR I-1029;
    - Schmidberger v Austria [2003] ECR I-5659;
    - Commission v Council (Validity of Framework Decision 2003/80/JHA [2005] ECR I-7879;
    - Metock and Others [2008] ECR I-NYR (Judgement of 25/07/2008);
    - Microsoft v Commission [2007] ECR II-3601.

Thanks for that!

Looks like for the first time the examiner repeated cases in this question. Personally i think its a ridiculous question, way too much to expect the candidates to have read every case in such detail (or in any detail!) to be able to answer three casenotes.

The ones that he did repeat though were three of the "bigger" cases so it may be a case that he'll ask three bigger cases, and three smaller, less well known, more recent ones.
    Last time out the he repeated ERTA, Simmenthal and Microsoft. Can't see him asking those for a third time so I won't be doing them. I'm going to cover the other more famous cases that he has yet to repeat (so have only come up once in the 4 sittings) which are:
    Factortame,
    Van Gend en Loos,
    Laval,
    Francovich,
    Costa,
    Faccini Dori,
    France Telecom

I'll also go through the smaller cases and pick one or two in the hope that he repeats some of those. THere's no other way to prepare for this question that I can see, how can he expect us to read and write casenotes on hundreds of cases? Hopefully by just doing ones he's already asked and so are examinable I'll be able to answer 3, as it would be a very handy question if you had them prepared (even being able to answer 2 of the casenotes would be handy to do the question if you only had 4 other questions to answer on due to it being a dodgy paper!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Oh but after saying all that, can someone refresh my memory as to where to find these cases! I cant remember my undergrad ways of accessing EU cases :o

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Jicked wrote: »
    Oh but after saying all that, can someone refresh my memory as to where to find these cases! I cant remember my undergrad ways of accessing EU cases :o

You can mess with curia.europa.eu, http://curia.europa.eu/jurisp/cgi-bin/form.pl?lang=en

Or for earlier cases eur-lex - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm

Or just bailli.org, which I find a bit nicer - http://www.bailii.org/eu/cases/EUECJ/

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Results have arrived, I have absolutely no idea how I passed Property but I did. Obviously that exam was a disaster, I only answered 3 and a half questions, then did bullet points for another question (which was utter crap) and didn't even attempt half one question (and also one third of question one if I remember correctly). There's no way I should have passed it, but obviously there's been big issues with the ridiculous exam he set, so some how I end up with 56! Ah well, I'm not complaining. Best of luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

results out and oh my god was i nervous.......... passed all of them, what a feeling! im with you vote4pedro, examiner seemed to give nice marks in property. best of luck everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Yeah same for me with Property lads, was convinced I'd badly failed it but just sneaked it, delighted. I was not relishing the prospect of studying Shelly's Case and fee tail estates again! :)

I hope everyone did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Got my results this morning too.

Just wonderin if anyone has any advice on the merits of appealing a result. I got 42 in Tort, a subject I hate granted, but I have to say I am surprised to have failed by that much. I have passed the other seven exams between March and October this year and hand on heart I didn't think that Tort was the worst exam I did.

Anyone know from experiance whether its worth appealing. I don't mind having to do it again only that i'm not sure where I have to make up all the marks from to pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

God almighty I'm shaking like fúck, could barely get the envelope open! Passed all thank god, although a few were close to the pass mark but hey, who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Passed property (58%) and criminal (66%) so thats 5 put of the way, im so delighted.:D

Art of Noise i appealed a 48% mark in Constitutional and it wasnt changed, AFAIK its very difficult to get it brought up and 8% is a lot to make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daly300

Thats the second time i sat tort and thought i nailed it and failed. dont know where im goin wrong in it! does anyone else find it a tricky one to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brendan101

Got my results this morning too.

Just wonderin if anyone has any advice on the merits of appealing a result. I got 42 in Tort, a subject I hate granted, but I have to say I am surprised to have failed by that much. I have passed the other seven exams between March and October this year and hand on heart I didn't think that Tort was the worst exam I did.

Anyone know from experiance whether its worth appealing. I don't mind having to do it again only that i'm not sure where I have to make up all the marks from to pass!

I got a 42 in company before and went upto 50! I managed to fail contract this time round which is embarrassing as its probably the easiest subject and i really thought i passed it but i got a 45. If you think there is a possibility you passed then get it checked I know I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PC021

i failed tort-should have been my strongest result-
    dont know what happened there-only got 38 in it and definately having it re checked- I'm devastated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

I failed criminal! 38%. I was sure it was my best exam and knew my stuff the best for it. Can't believe it. Don't know how I failed it. Maybe I didn't have enough case law in there. What about getting it re-checked, would it help?

Then again, I passed contract (53%) after only studying for it the day before and hadn't a notion on the day, only managed 4 questions and one of them was atrocious.

Passed tort too (53%) which I am delighted about as I found it tough and could barely remember any case law.

Makes no odds though when I have to re-do them all again as it was my first sitting. Sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

As far as Tort goes, i thought it was marked extremely hard, thiought i'd done very well and only got 51. Contract is marked notorioulsy easy so i wouldnt be optimistic bout rechecks there but tort certainly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Hi All,

Was in the horrors all weekend thinking id failed my final exam, EU Law.. got the results this morn and passed... cant believe it... so over joyed. Was 100% sure I Failed.. perhaps it was marked easier than previous exams... anyone else pass EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mongoninty

Jimbobby wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm desperately seeking access to the Past Exam Bank from Griffith
    Moodle for Constitutional and Company. I'm currently taking Tort and
    EU courses in Griffith and find the solutions invaluable, so would
    really appreciate it if anyone who has downloaded the Constitutional
    and Company exam solutions could get in contact with me.

If anyone needs the Tort and EU solutions il gladly forward them on.

Cheers,

James.

HI there,

Do you by any chance still have anything available for Eu and Tort, desperately trying to get my hands on manuals and solutions for both, any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

mongoninty wrote: »
    HI there,

Do you by any chance still have anything available for Eu and Tort, desperately trying to get my hands on manuals and solutions for both, any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

I have an EU manual and exam papers from April 08.
    I failed criminal! 38%. I was sure it was my best exam and knew my stuff the best for it. Can't believe it. Don't know how I failed it. Maybe I didn't have enough case law in there. What about getting it re-checked, would it help?

Then again, I passed contract (53%) after only studying for it the day before and hadn't a notion on the day, only managed 4 questions and one of them was atrocious.

I could have written that, I got 38 in criminal too and it was definitely my best exam. Is it worth appealing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement