Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

mongoninty wrote: »
    HI there,

Do you by any chance still have anything available for Eu and Tort, desperately trying to get my hands on manuals and solutions for both, any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

I have 2009 Tort Manual and past papers. Also have suggested solutions for Tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

As far as Tort goes, i thought it was marked extremely hard, thiought i'd done very well and only got 51. Contract is marked notorioulsy easy so i wouldnt be optimistic bout rechecks there but tort certainly

I agree about Tort. I came out of the exam quite confident and got result of 53%....! Not that Im complaining.. but I do think it was marked extremely hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Hey all,

Results passed three n failed eu by 8%! but i don't care cos i knew i bombed it! So just two exams left yay! Got two by skin of my teeth - Tort 50% and Company 50%... but they way i look at these exams is you pass or fail and to me 50% is as good as 90% cos they all a pass!

Anyway... congrats to all!

I've now company, tort and contract manuals and exam papers from Oct '09 sittings for sale... will sell the lot for 120e plus p&p (negotiable!). Pm me if interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

Currently in independent colleges and out of pure curiosity handed up an essay which was word for word a Griffith College sample answer and got a terrible 11/20!!!!! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 examfe1

Question for all...

Missed out on third exam, got 38% in Property, thought did a really good paper, answered all five questions.

Worth a recheck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

gatorade wrote: »
    Currently in independent colleges and out of pure curiosity handed up an essay which was word for word a Griffith College sample answer and got a terrible 11/20!!!!! :pac::pac:

Ouch, but you might see the proviso that says something along the lines that "these aren't to be used word for word since they are just skeleton suggestions and in no way represent the English you should use in the exam". Hence there is hardly any "linking" English used in those suggested solutions because then I'd run the risk of having people learning them all of by heart. They are just skeletons - and 11/20 is 55% which seems quite good for nothing but a skeleton answer coupled with the fact you assume that prep. courses mark harder to encourage hard work.

I assume then if you'd not used it word for word, but as GCD students are encouraged - to put the required narrative and English around it, you'd have done a bit better - i.e. over and above 60, which a lot would be happy with.

Indeed, when students submit them word for word even in GCD (i.e. as a homework answer) they get a bad mark, because they're not intended to be word for word answers. If they were provided in lovely flowing English, they would have just killed students who would have learned them word-for-word making examiners take notice, and probably failing them - i.e. see that old contract examiner report comment about students using the same phrases.

Which one was it out of interest; from the exam bank, or from the old past paper booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Ouch, but you might see the proviso that says something along the lines that "these aren't to be used word for word since they are just skeleton suggestions and in no way represent the English you should use in the exam".

Was about to say that.. my first couple of homework queations in Griffith were pretty much copies of the sample questions (because I didn't have a clue!!) and the Griffith tutors themselves gave me 55%.

Regardless of whether they are essays or bullet points I don't think they like to give you a good mark- no point getting 70% in your homework, thinking you're great and then failing your exam..

Jamie-b wrote: »
    Was about to say that.. my first couple of homework queations in Griffith were pretty much copies of the sample questions (because I didn't have a clue!!) and the Griffith tutors themselves gave me 55%.

Regardless of whether they are essays or bullet points I don't think they like to give you a good mark- no point getting 70% in your homework, thinking you're great and then failing your exam..

If great answers are done they get great marks. But there is a point to what you are saying. We simply don't know *how* the exams are marked but it certainly seems like the prevalence of 1st's wouldn't track that which may exist in a proportionate group of undergrads in third level. Hence "good" fe1 marks tend to be 60-64 and really good above that. 55% is just 5% percent away from a really good fe1 mark, but equally 5% away from a fail - that's just the nature of these exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brendan101

Shinners23 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Was in the horrors all weekend thinking id failed my final exam, EU Law.. got the results this morn and passed... cant believe it... so over joyed. Was 100% sure I Failed.. perhaps it was marked easier than previous exams... anyone else pass EU?

yep passed EU aswell and did a terrible exam...thank god i dont have to repeat that one!

I failed criminal! 38%. I was sure it was my best exam and knew my stuff the best for it. Can't believe it. Don't know how I failed it. Maybe I didn't have enough case law in there. What about getting it re-checked, would it help?

I've never asked for a recheck but in this case maybe it would be worth it? A lot of the time you seem to know whether you've passed or not, so there might be something wrong if you get 38% on a paper you think you did well on. Maybe go through the paper again with someone else, r even post here, just to make sure you didn't totally identifiy the wrong issues and if not I can't see how a 5 good answers gives you 38%.
    I failed 1 today which I knew I had- pretty much waffled 5 questions, no cases, no real structure, no clue basically and got 44%. Doesn't see right that I can get 44% knowing nothing and you get 38% of the back of a decent paper.
    They could have made a mistake???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 RachTheRage

Mongoninty, i'd love the EU Moddle stuff, i have the manual but they would be invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Thanks to everyone for their comments on appealing exams. After these comments so far and glancing through the paper I think at this stage I will appeal my 42 in Tort. I know €120 is a lot of money but I feel I can't just let this go. I did all five questions and don't believe I made any major errors. I wouldn't be at all confident I could do that much better if I sat it again either (even though its my only one left now) so a Recheck may be just the ticket? Maybe.

So to the person who got 38% in Property, it might be worth rechecking it if you felt confident. Perhaps look at the Property paper first to make sure you didn't make any fundamental error on the day.

Thanks to everyone for their comments on appealing exams. After these comments so far and glancing through the paper I think at this stage I will appeal my 42 in Tort. I know €120 is a lot of money but I feel I can't just let this go.
    Good move. I'm not appealing since my failing paper was rubbish, but if I had failed one that I thought I did well on I would do it. If you pass other FE1s you kind of know what it feels like to sit a passing paper.
    Then again, my two better papers got me the lower passing marks so I'm not sure how that works!
    By the way, does anyone know if contract is classified as a bad paper this year? (I know property was) I was convinced I failed it and got my highest mark in it despite doing that estoppel question that I still don't understand! I reckon if it was bad the high failure rate must have pushed me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 April 2008

mongoninty wrote: »
    HI there,

Do you by any chance still have anything available for Eu and Tort, desperately trying to get my hands on manuals and solutions for both, any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

I have EU 2009 Griffith plus exam papers with loads of extra sample questions and answers.

Also Constitutional 2009 Independent plus exam papers.

Dublin area.

Any feedback on the Equity paper? Failed it with a 43% but i knew that i balls-ed it up so no big surprises there

Any feedback on the Equity paper? Failed it with a 43% but i knew that i balls-ed it up so no big surprises there

Me too.. see you in March!

I was considering a recheck - coz ya never know! but i don't think i can stomach giving the Law Society any more money

It costs more for a recheck than to sit the exam?
    If you get a recheck it's 120, if you still fail you have to pay the 120 plus the 110 to sit it again. Its my last so at least it will prolong the 5 year count down!
    Plus mine was rubbish, I reckon 44% was generous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 examfe1

So to the person who got 38% in Property, it might be worth rechecking it if you felt confident. Perhaps look at the Property paper first to make sure you didn't make any fundamental error on the day.[/quote]

Went through the property paper after the exam and again a few times since, i knew i did good in my other ones and felt I did well in property too but the result i got doesnt really make sense when i compare this to the other results i got? Got the five questions down with caselaw and understood it and i was right in my answers! Anyone else feel the same about property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

brendan101 wrote: »
    yep passed EU aswell and did a terrible exam...thank god i dont have to repeat that one!

Same here, I was convinced I'd failed EU, I've never written such a load of rubbish in my life and I got 65! The examiner must have been in a really good mood when he was marking them.

• Advertisement

Mine was also muck but i'm trying to be optomistic! I've only that and EU left so i might get the head down early and make sure i get these b*$!@#%s finished with for once and for all. Then roll on Blackhall.

Went through the property paper after the exam and again a few times since, i knew i did good in my other ones and felt I did well in property too but the result i got doesnt really make sense when i compare this to the other results i got? Got the five questions down with caselaw and understood it and i was right in my answers! Anyone else feel the same about property?

Honestly, I think a lot of people felt property was a bad paper and are relieved they passed. If you did 5 good questions and are surprised you failed it sounds like there is something wrong. I would go for a recheck to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brendan101

Jamie-b wrote: »
    Honestly, I think a lot of people felt property was a bad paper and are relieved they passed. If you did 5 good questions and are surprised you failed it sounds like there is something wrong. I would go for a recheck to be honest

Thats how I felt after a 42 in company i mentioned earlier. I figured maybe the examiner missed a question or added up incorrectly and lo and behold i went up 9% after the recheck. I dont think 2 examiners could find such a discrepency between the same paper...that may have been the case here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Despite passing all the fe1s i sat in october i cant get my head around the marking. I loved the equity paper, answered 5 really good questions and know i didnt leave out any part of the questions, i felt it was definitley my best yet it turned out to be my worst. Contract i thought was a tricky paper and wasnt too happy with how i performed yet got 69%, same with criminal so i really dont have a clue how these are being marked.....?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smurfness

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Results have arrived, I have absolutely no idea how I passed Property but I did. Obviously that exam was a disaster, I only answered 3 and a half questions, then did bullet points for another question (which was utter crap) and didn't even attempt half one question (and also one third of question one if I remember correctly). There's no way I should have passed it, but obviously there's been big issues with the ridiculous exam he set, so some how I end up with 56! Ah well, I'm not complaining. Best of luck everyone.

I know the feeling, totally stunned I passed property - almost left it early I thought it went so badly but somehow managed to get 54. Only EU left for me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 karlpilkington

Hey All,
    Well done to those who passed any/all Fe1 exams, Fair Play they aint easy, Im looking to trade 2 up to date griffith College Manuals Constitutional and Criminal, for 2009 Tort and Equity manuals, anyone interested?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarcastra

I havent received my results. What the hell's that about?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

HI Folks i was gutted with my equity results 43%, i got 60 in tort and 62 in EU, Const 40%. What do you think on a re-check for Equity, is 7% a big ask ?

Also this is my first time so since i did not get three must i now attempt 4 again and pass 3 or can i now go for less than than that ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Very happy, was full sure I'd be resitting four again as this is my first time and I thought the only one I'd pass was equity. Was sure of the other three tort was my best with criminal very poor and contract worse again.

As it turns out I got 61 in contract, 60 in criminal, 51 in equity and 38 in Tort.

The only explanation I can come up with is that in all my panic and double guessing myself with Issues in Contract and Criminal it may well be that the solutions accidentally read in a more focused and directed manner, when really i was struggling to develop any points and I may well have over thought the other two.

Or perhaps the answers being more disjointed in Criminal and Contract appear less rehearsed. There may be a real danger here that the examiners are criticising perfectly good answers on the basis that they are generic in that a well practiced candidate may unintentionally grind out an answer the result of large amounts of personal study that in the end resembles a poorly recited Griffith College/Independant Colleges pre-prepared solution.

Do we get the examiners report in the Post Soon?

Don't anybody dare tell me that isn't a freebee at this stage.

Fair play to everyone who sat the exams, I'm delighted for everyone who passed and sorry for the rest, but Alas the road is long for us all.

• Advertisement

Or perhaps the answers being more disjointed in Criminal and Contract appear less rehearsed. There may be a real danger here that the examiners are criticising perfectly good answers on the basis that they are generic in that a well practiced candidate may unintentionally grind out an answer the result of large amounts of personal study that in the end resembles a poorly recited Griffith College/Independant Colleges pre-prepared solution.

Excellent point. Contract this time around required some "on the fly" thinking to deal with the discursive essays. If you knew the material (as you clearly did) you were more than capable of adapting. The side effect, is that one would expect a far greater range in the format of answers. The other point is that people doing these fe1's usually know a lot more about law then they believe and can get really "down on themselves" and rely on that recitation of solutions you mention. I suppose it's a bit like Tyra telling the model who's been terrible for the last 4 weeks "this shoot really made you come out of your shell". *Ahem* (it's on the background on a Monday night).
    Do we get the examiners report in the Post Soon?.

It can be a long wait until they're done, and I'm not sure they send them out to students - I just don't know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement