Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Mongoninty, i'd love the EU Moddle stuff, i have the manual but they would be invaluable

Would there be demand for a "Lisbon" update course - pure and simple Lisbon update?

On buying and selling moodle stuff - it's your own decision (i.e. the vendor's to sell), but I think its viewed as in a different ball game to the manuals, but I'll leave that there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dancinintherain

Hi all,

Congrats to all who received good news in the post yesterday!

I have recent manuals, past papers and legislation for all subjects for sale. Willing to sell at a reasonable price. Please pm if interested.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Would there be demand for a "Lisbon" update course - pure and simple Lisbon update?

I would be interested anyway. I wouldn't need a crash course for anything else in EU, but knowing how to re-work answers on things like the Institutions as well as others would be good. A one-day course some day in January could be good, especially if you get some good notes/handouts since there's no textbook up to date enough for these exams.

vote4pedro wrote: »
    I would be interested anyway. I wouldn't need a crash course for anything else in EU, but knowing how to re-work answers on things like the Institutions as well as others would be good. A one-day course some day in January could be good, especially if you get some good notes/handouts since there's no textbook up to date enough for these exams.

Therein lie all the interesting questions - what acceptable legislation can one bring into the exam if Lisbon is examinable, but not published in Blackstones by the time of the exam? Is it really fair to make the syllabus dependant on something which may or may not happen by by the 1st Jan 2010? How would anyone know this unless they had the previous examiners report? One could be studying alone, doing a good job and then find out that suddenly you have to know Lisbon (no new syllabus is posted yet). All very difficult for a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

sarcastra wrote: »
    I havent received my results. What the hell's that about?!

Neither did I... was not a happy camper after driving out to my parents house after work. No one at home so I don't know if they've arrived today or not. Really annoying - I want to be put out of my misery!!

"Same here, I was convinced I'd failed EU, I've never written such a load of rubbish in my life and I got 65! The examiner must have been in a really good mood when he was marking them."

God I hope their good mood lasted for when they marked my paper!! So annoying not knowing when everyone else does!!

• Advertisement

UPDATE - got results passed criminal and EU (good mood obviously lasted!!) so I've only tort left!! Wahooooooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

So i got 42% in EU and i'm considering appealing it... not because i actually think i'll get the 8% because i can't believe they found anything worth 42% on the paper in first place but because i want to chance my arm and then i'd only have one exam left

BUT

it's €120... so what do you's think?! Worth my time (and money!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pansoul

Sat my first five this time, only passing one owing to serious lack of application. Like others, I got a surprisingly decent mark in Contract (58%), but was disappointed that my next best was 43%. Not to worry.

I'm now ambitiously considering trying to do them all next time round. So I'm just wondering if anyone here sat all of them in the last sitting and how they got on, and whether the scrunched-up timetable was an obstacle too high? I'm finishing up a job after Christmas and have a reasonable grounding from last time so reckon it might be worth aiming for. I'd muchly appreciate any feedback on your experience. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 very worried

Thought EU was marked very easily and Tort really hard...I thought it was a reasonable paper on the day and answered well and just scraped a pass. They really are the most unpredictable exam results!

Past papers and reports available at 3e each...please pm if interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danoli2009

mandz wrote: »
    Neither did I... was not a happy camper after driving out to my parents house after work. No one at home so I don't know if they've arrived today or not. Really annoying - I want to be put out of my misery!!

"Same here, I was convinced I'd failed EU, I've never written such a load of rubbish in my life and I got 65! The examiner must have been in a really good mood when he was marking them."

God I hope their good mood lasted for when they marked my paper!! So annoying not knowing when everyone else does!!

I still haven't recieved anything from the Law Society.
    I'd signed up to sit my last 2, but had a job offer from a solicitor with the job due to start the week of the exams. I felt it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, so decided to take the job and not sit the exams.

As far as I#m aware, if you fail to turn up, you're just marked "Absent" on your results letter, and the results letters are all sent out at the same time.
    Should I be worried? Has anyone else not got their results yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hi danoli2009,

Yes that is correct, you are marked absent, on the results letter, for the exams you don't turn for as happened in my case with three of the exams. Hope the new job is going well.
    danoli2009 wrote: »
    I still haven't recieved anything from the Law Society.
    I'd signed up to sit my last 2, but had a job offer from a solicitor with the job due to start the week of the exams. I felt it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, so decided to take the job and not sit the exams.

As far as I#m aware, if you fail to turn up, you're just marked "Absent" on your results letter, and the results letters are all sent out at the same time.
    Should I be worried? Has anyone else not got their results yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Whats the feedback on the constitutional exam? Got 43 and although i thought it hadn't gone overly well i'm considering a re-mark. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

pansoul wrote: »
    Sat my first five this time, only passing one owing to serious lack of application. Like others, I got a surprisingly decent mark in Contract (58%), but was disappointed that my next best was 43%. Not to worry.

I'm now ambitiously considering trying to do them all next time round. So I'm just wondering if anyone here sat all of them in the last sitting and how they got on, and whether the scrunched-up timetable was an obstacle too high? I'm finishing up a job after Christmas and have a reasonable grounding from last time so reckon it might be worth aiming for. I'd muchly appreciate any feedback on your experience. :)

hi, i was thinkin of doin the same, sat 4 last time round and passed one - but really lookin back on them i did not apply myself at all. just want to no peoples opinions on EU and constitutional, im definately going to sit the other 6 in march but was half thinkin of giving the other 2 a hit aswell. is EU and Constitutional as bad as people say??? with some of the comments im readin i think these exams are pot luck, I for one started studyin my criminal notes the day before the exam and got 48%, id luv to get my hands on the markin system. But if anyone out there sat 8 in one go, id luv ur advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bruxelles

Hi I'm looking for recent manuals (ideally 2009) in Contract, Property, Equity. Please PM if you have any of these for sale..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 April 2008

Therein lie all the interesting questions - what acceptable legislation can one bring into the exam if Lisbon is examinable, but not published in Blackstones by the time of the exam? Is it really fair to make the syllabus dependant on something which may or may not happen by by the 1st Jan 2010? How would anyone know this unless they had the previous examiners report? One could be studying alone, doing a good job and then find out that suddenly you have to know Lisbon (no new syllabus is posted yet). All very difficult for a student.

Hi Brian,

Do you have any feedback on constitution, was the pass rate up from last year.

bruxelles wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for recent manuals (ideally 2009) in Contract, Property, Equity. Please PM if you have any of these for sale..

Property course has changed for March due to the new legislation so an old manual may not be of use to you but I may be wrong.

April 2008 wrote: »
    Hi Brian,

Do you have any feedback on constitution, was the pass rate up from last year.

Hi,

I haven't taught constitutional on the fe1 for a while now, so I haven't been receiving direct communications from students in relation to it. Re pass rates generally from what I have been told in relation to contract marks appears to have been very good, with very high marks coming in and most emails have been about students passing etc.

I certainly have my views on the paper and I didn't really think it a "bad" one in any sense, but a classic "you can't leave stuff out" paper, like with the attorney general, exec. priv/disclosure, privacy / trials in public, article 26, natural justice all re-emerging alongside the more "traditional" problem questions. All stuff I would have done when I was doing it, but with the side effect that I could only give people 5 minute breaks in class - just so much to cover.

You can pm if you want to talk about it in any deeper way than that.

Regards

mandz wrote: »
    Property course has changed for March due to the new legislation so an old manual may not be of use to you but I may be wrong.

Dead right. But one could just read up on the Act independently.

http://www.prai.ie/eng/Legislation_Page/Legislation_1/Land_and_Conveyancing_Law_Reform_Bill_and_Explanatory_Memorandum.html

A solicitor I know, however, wasn't very happy that the explanatory memorandum didn't appear to always make perfect sense nor appear to really relect what was in the Act itself.

Neil Maddox's commentary will be out soon on Round Hall and it looks very good (from what I've seen / heard), so that should help.

Wylie's commentary will be out on Tottel (it may be out already, I don't know) and that should be helpful also.

As a student you might be able to a get a discount for some of the innumerable CPD sessions that will surely be held on this in the next few months, but you'd have to look around for that.

I certainly know Emma Callanan in GCD is supplementing the manual as we go along in relation to changes, and the same would be done elsewhere I assume.

It wasn't the best sitting to decide to do property and EU together!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

I think I'm being obsessive... but 50% is a pass yes??

Yes it is Amigone. Well done:D
    Amigone wrote: »

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention that the required pass mark is in the Law Society regulations that came with your results. :o
    Amigone wrote: »

Whoops Amigone, Just saw your previous post [this is a long thread!!]. So I assume your 50% refers to another subject you sat other than EU.:o

colonel1 wrote: »
    Yes it is Amigone. Well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

Becky55 wrote: »
    hi, i was thinkin of doin the same, sat 4 last time round and passed one - but really lookin back on them i did not apply myself at all. just want to no peoples opinions on EU and constitutional, im definately going to sit the other 6 in march but was half thinkin of giving the other 2 a hit aswell. is EU and Constitutional as bad as people say??? with some of the comments im readin i think these exams are pot luck, I for one started studyin my criminal notes the day before the exam and got 48%, id luv to get my hands on the markin system. But if anyone out there sat 8 in one go, id luv ur advice

havent done constitutional (next sit all going well) but I have passed the E.U. exam twice now, both times mid 50's so its very doable and in my case the markings definitely been consistent with performance.
    With E.U. i found the structure of the answers very important as theres so much in it and so much overlap thats you have to make it clear exactly what your talking about, some of the GCD and independant colleges sample answers are good for that. the exam has 3 pretty much set questions; one good tip is done be disheartened when you start a chapter, they can be long so you'll need to cut out a lot of the chaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

hey, people anyone out der have past griffin college sample post bank answers in EU, Constitutional and Contract to sell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LawyerGirl

Hi Guys,
    I have manuals in tort, property, company, constitutional and criminal to sell if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

OK, so the Lisbon treaty is in force since yesterday but the Law Society still haven't announced whether it's on for next April yet. Presumably it is going to be on, otherwise they surely would have announced it isn't on already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

i passed EU (Shocked) and failed Tort by 6 % (shocked) i so thought it would be the other way around.

i did my last 4 exams in April and got two and that was shocking because i just did terribly had barely three questions in most them and i passed constitutional and contract GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW!! anyway out of all them i thought i did the best in Tort and i failed that by the most so anyway i did Tort and EU again in September and thought Tort was great and EU was a bit iffy!! Before i got these results i would've told anyone EU was the hardest but now i think Tort is the worst god damn one!! the marking is soo bloody hard!!

but hey bright side at least i only have one left now even if it does take me forever to pass it which is looking likely at this stage because i honestly don't know how i could improve on what i did in September in the Tort exam to be honest i'm not stupid but im not a ****ing genius either and i really couldnt have learned more for it (all i left out was defective products and premises and knew everything else to a tee) and thought the questions were all fairly alryt like and i answered them etc. I dont know!!

Anyway on the questions about the rechecks from earlier I WOULD 100% RECHECK THEM!!! i got 43% in my company last october 2008 and got it rechecked and passed it!! its worth it!! i was querying whether to re check it at the time coz it really is a collossal amount of money so i asked my lecturer in independent and he said it was unlikely that i would come up that far but ya never know so if ya can actually afford it to defo do it!! best advice i ever took!! i know its alot of money but if you pass it even only to 50% its worth it!! so im going to recheck my Tort this time even if there is no hope but its worth a chance!! so defo recheck them!

Best of luck to all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

pandas wrote: »
    i passed EU (Shocked) and failed Tort by 6 % (shocked) i so thought it would be the other way around.

i did my last 4 exams in April and got two and that was shocking because i just did terribly had barely three questions in most them and i passed constitutional and contract GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW!! anyway out of all them i thought i did the best in Tort and i failed that by the most so anyway i did Tort and EU again in September and thought Tort was great and EU was a bit iffy!! Before i got these results i would've told anyone EU was the hardest but now i think Tort is the worst god damn one!! the marking is soo bloody hard!!

but hey bright side at least i only have one left now even if it does take me forever to pass it which is looking likely at this stage because i honestly don't know how i could improve on what i did in September in the Tort exam to be honest i'm not stupid but im not a ****ing genius either and i really couldnt have learned more for it (all i left out was defective products and premises and knew everything else to a tee) and thought the questions were all fairly alryt like and i answered them etc. I dont know!!

Anyway on the questions about the rechecks from earlier I WOULD 100% RECHECK THEM!!! i got 43% in my company last october 2008 and got it rechecked and passed it!! its worth it!! i was querying whether to re check it at the time coz it really is a collossal amount of money so i asked my lecturer in independent and he said it was unlikely that i would come up that far but ya never know so if ya can actually afford it to defo do it!! best advice i ever took!! i know its alot of money but if you pass it even only to 50% its worth it!! so im going to recheck my Tort this time even if there is no hope but its worth a chance!! so defo recheck them!

Best of luck to all!!

Great Post. I too only have Tort left and I'm sending off my Re-Check Application today even though I only got 42%. I think that unless you are very very good or very very bad there is an element of luck in the results you get in these exams. While I don't think I could say I definately deserved to pass Tort I thought I had a live chance and, like you say, passed other subjects I hadn't thought i'd performed any better in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 farcelona

This may seem like a terribly stupid question but today someone told me that if you sit four exams first and you dont pass a certain number say 2 or 3 you have to sit them all again. Surely this isnt true... is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

farcelona wrote: »
    This may seem like a terribly stupid question but today someone told me that if you sit four exams first and you dont pass a certain number say 2 or 3 you have to sit them all again. Surely this isnt true... is it?

Very true im afraid. You must sit 4 to start and pass three in order to "keep" the passes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement