Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

rubensni wrote: »
    OK, so the Lisbon treaty is in force since yesterday but the Law Society still haven't announced whether it's on for next April yet. Presumably it is going to be on, otherwise they surely would have announced it isn't on already?

Therein is the issue. If you have bought the past examiners reports, you'd have your answer (the only place its been discussed), but its not been put up on the site. Property is another issue as well. The "new" syllabus doesn't appear to be up yet. Its far from ideal, but there you go...

pandas wrote: »
    Anyway on the questions about the rechecks from earlier I WOULD 100% RECHECK THEM!!! i got 43% in my company last october 2008 and got it rechecked and passed it!! its worth it!! i was querying whether to re check it at the time coz it really is a collossal amount of money so i asked my lecturer in independent and he said it was unlikely that i would come up that far but ya never know so if ya can actually afford it to defo do it!! best advice i ever took!! i know its alot of money but if you pass it even only to 50% its worth it!! so im going to recheck my Tort this time even if there is no hope but its worth a chance!! so defo recheck them!

Best of luck to all!!

I've heard of higher upgrades on re-checks, so I think they are worth it if you really believe you think you did better than the grade. It's stunning that the paper can be rechecked with such a "change" - any time I have re-checked papers (fe1 unrelated) I've actually found I was probably too generous and most lecturers I know anguish over marks - i.e. you'd never find that you made a mistake by 7% or more. But there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

That's the thing Brian_Foley - I don't think i deserved a better grade but i'm still thinking of chancing my arm to see if i can make up the 8%...

ohhh 120 reasons to not bother... will someone make the choice for me please?! I'm very indecisive...

should i appeal??

One stinger bar (classis 80's child I am!) to the first person to make my decision for me!!

Amigone wrote: »
    That's the thing Brian_Foley - I don't think i deserved a better grade but i'm still thinking of chancing my arm to see if i can make up the 8%...

ohhh 120 reasons to not bother... will someone make the choice for me please?! I'm very indecisive...

should i appeal??

One stinger bar (classis 80's child I am!) to the first person to make my decision for me!!

A stinger bar? And 10p crisps? And a "who put the ball in the English net tee-shirt? And crippling depressing recession...oh....wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Will you regret it if you don't appeal? It is a lot of money and no one can make up your mind for you [especially if it turns out to be the wrong advice!]. Not an easy decision to make. You have another few days before you have to send in the form I think, so sleep on it some more. Btw, what is a stinger bar?

Amigone wrote: »

should i appeal??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

Hi im thinkin of gettin 2 repealed, a 48 in criminal and 33 in property. i kinda am chancing my arm, i thought i cud hav pulled it off in crim, and with all this talk im hearin aout people passin property i really think i could hav passed it (even tho i did only get 33) but even though the paper was horrific i gave a great stab at 4 Q's. €260 :( and then €110 to sit it again, total money racket!!! also the way im readin it we wont get the result of the repeals till february so we hav to keep up the study for the ones ur gettin repealed especially property ie - the new bill. :mad::mad::mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

April 2008 wrote: »
    I have EU 2009 Griffith plus exam papers with loads of extra sample questions and answers.

Also Constitutional 2009 Independent plus exam papers.

Dublin area.

HI, i would be interested in your EU 09 grif book, past exam papers and sample answers if you still have them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Becky55 wrote: »
    Hi im thinkin of gettin 2 repealed, a 48 in criminal and 33 in property. i kinda am chancing my arm, i thought i cud hav pulled it off in crim, and with all this talk im hearin aout people passin property i really think i could hav passed it (even tho i did only get 33) but even though the paper was horrific i gave a great stab at 4 Q's. €260 :( and then €110 to sit it again, total money racket!!! also the way im readin it we wont get the result of the repeals till february so we hav to keep up the study for the ones ur gettin repealed especially property ie - the new bill. :mad::mad::mad::eek:

appealed?

Defo go for the 48 in criminal but the 33 in property is probably a bit too much of a stretch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

Jamie-b wrote: »
    I've never asked for a recheck but in this case maybe it would be worth it? A lot of the time you seem to know whether you've passed or not, so there might be something wrong if you get 38% on a paper you think you did well on. Maybe go through the paper again with someone else, r even post here, just to make sure you didn't totally identifiy the wrong issues and if not I can't see how a 5 good answers gives you 38%.
    I failed 1 today which I knew I had- pretty much waffled 5 questions, no cases, no real structure, no clue basically and got 44%. Doesn't see right that I can get 44% knowing nothing and you get 38% of the back of a decent paper.
    They could have made a mistake???

Well, I had another look at the criminal paper and my prep notes around each question and here's what I have written. On the day I did a fairly decent expansion of these points:

Q2
    Complicity, outside scope of common design, inchoate offence, aid, abet, counsel, offence satisfied when agreement is made, irrelevant that party did not know exact details of offence, DPP v Murray, AG v Ryan, DPP v Egan, DPP v Eccles, DPP v Cumberton, S. 3 assault - 40 yrs, capital murder, eggshell skull rule, recklessness, accessories before and after fact. Advised all 4 parties in question.

Q3
    What is a crime - punishment, wording, prodedure, crime against society, moral culpability, minor/indictable, arrestable offences, s.186 Customs Consolidation Act 1876, S.500 Income Tax Act 1972, O'Loughlin v Tuite, O'Sullivan v Hynes etc

Q5
    Mens Rea, element of crime, AG v Hardy, look at circumstances, infer intention, foreseeability, may be rebutted, natural and probable consequences, presumed intent, strict liability, DPP v Murray, DPP v Hyam, recklessness - subjective/objective

Q7
    Due course of law, "Golden Thread"- Woolmington v DPP 1935, Art 38.1, Art 6 ECHR, right to silence, may be rebutted, AG v Dwyer (IRA Calls the Shots), AG v Heaney, S.6 Offences Against the State Act 1939, S.4 Explosive Substances Act 1871 (offers an additional defence), avoids miscarriages of justice, proportionality, right of State to step in, no right absolute, can be a basis for evidence only, mandatory nature of s.56 aims to prevent statements given under duress, internationally recognised concept of right to trial in due course of law

Perhaps didn't "critically discuss" as much as was required.

Q8
    Intention, intention to kill, defence of provocation, cumulative provocation, reasonable force must be used - at odds with concept of "complete loss of self control", DPP v McEoin 1978, R v Aluhalia (1991), R v Falconer (1985), timing important - immediacy, Irish position - can reduce to manslaughter, UK position - cannot reduce to manslaughter, aquittal only or else murder. Advised Margaret.

Not sure I could have done much more than I did other than if I studied for another couple of weeks.. 38! Am gutted. How are you meant to pass these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

well thats the worst thing you could do chilliflake!!! dont do it to yourself! its crazy!! unleass your weighing your options on rechecking it!!!

amigone i think ya should recheck it!! the minute the deadline is passed you be driving yourself mental wondering if you had rechecked it would u have passed it!!

i want my stinger ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

pandas wrote: »
    well thats the worst thing you could do chilliflake!!! dont do it to yourself! its crazy!! unleass your weighing your options on rechecking it!!!

amigone i think ya should recheck it!! the minute the deadline is passed you be driving yourself mental wondering if you had rechecked it would u have passed it!!

i want my stinger ha!!

I am gone crazy ha ha

well, it's the difference between getting three passed first time round or else having to sit all three again...that's what killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 legaleye

Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone has a GCD or Independent contract manual which they are willing to sell? Would also purchase a photocopied version if available.

PM if you are interested in selling.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

legaleye wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone has a GCD or Independent contract manual which they are willing to sell? Would also purchase a photocopied version if available.

Thanks!

Don't say the photocopy word! :eek:
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

Hi all,

I have the FE1 Company acts for sale (1963-2006) by Tom B Courtney and Mc Cann.(Purple Book - Newest edition) 65 euro brand new only a few words highlighted.

Also I have manuals in Contract, Criminal, Company and Equity & Trusts.

If anyone is intrested drop me a PM.:)

Thanks,
    Daz23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I have the consolidated version of the company acts for sale 65 euro including postage. Also have 09 independent colleges tort manual for sale, 55 including postage. Please pm me if interested.

legaleye wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks!
    Legaleye,

I have Independent colleges Manual and papers from Oct '09 (ie Summer course) if you're interested!

colonel1 wrote: »
    Btw, what is a stinger bar?

Amigone, pandas....put this person in their place! Or just look here (not the classic packaging)

Recently attended a dinner party where the topic of discussion shifted to a heated discussion over whether full size bounty bars were once sold as a solid long bar, or whether they always came in two pieces. Historical confectionary - the next specialty.

Off topic, but worth it. Back to fe1s

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hi,

I'm a first year law student (mature student at that)

Anyone any tips for remember the names of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

rbag wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a first year law student (mature student at that)

Anyone any tips for remember the names of cases?

try here,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62472141&highlight=memoryacademy#post62472141

decent discussion on it earlier on. good luck!!S

guys,

i have an independent colleges EU manual from october 2009 exam and the Blackstones EU legislation also if anyone is interested.

pm me if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jtothesums

Hey all! Gives me great pleasure to finally be able to post here saying that I've finally passed all 8 FE-1's :) I started them in Oct 2004 & only got 2. I got 3 the next time around and have been chipping away at them since. I had to sit my last one, EU on its own 3times!! Then this time around I got 57% when I thought i failed it. I think earlier comments about it being marked easy are perhaps true.
    For those of you who are struggling my advice is to hang in there. If i had known in 2004 when i was fresh of out college (aged 22) that it would have taken me 5years to get them all I would never have taken on these exams. I've been working as a legal executive in general practice since '04 and like the job so it gave me the desire to complete them despite the occasional defeat.
    For anyone starting out and thinking of sitting the FE-1's I can only say to think very strongly about it. The exams are very very tough and employment prospects are not what they used to be. I have several friends who have their fe-1's passed 2or more years ago but cant find an apprenticeship. I also have 2 friends who are newly qualified solicitors and have recently been made redundant. I am really lucky in that the firm where I work promised me an apprenticeship 5 years ago and are still willing to honour it. Two solicitors have moved on from the firm in the past year and one of the partners is nearing retirement. The firm is keeping on their current trainee and hopefully I will have a long and distinguished career here too!
    I think Brian Foley of Griffith College deserves a special mention. I attended his constitutional law lectures via videolink in waterford in 2008. They guy is superb and has a real passion for what he does. The fact that he willingly, and without reward I assume, posts here helping students out is testament to this. I've seen him on the south eastern circuit a few times but have never introduced myself. Perhaps one day I'll have a case that will warrant his assistance or Counsel of his calibre :D
    Congrats to those of you who like myself have reached a milestone and good luck to the rest of you with your remaining exams.

and remember....Winners never quit. Quitters never win ;)

well done jtothesums!! and your post is rather inspiring so thanks..even though your prospects are alot better than most peoples at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Nice post jtothesums, congrats on having the apprenticeship sorted as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Hi I have griffith company and contract 2008 manuals for sale plus past papers and griffith sample answers- 50 euro each manual. I also have griffith criminal manual 2009 plus past papers and sample answers- 100 euro. Will be in dublin mon and tues if interested. Pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aimee34

Hi,

Have Independent Manuals for sale: Company and Constitutional Oct 09. Tort April 09. Dublin area, 50e each. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 radioface

Hey guys, I think the FE1 timetable might be up soon - the Oct one has been taken down today....

radioface wrote: »
    Hey guys, I think the FE1 timetable might be up soon - the Oct one has been taken down today....

The March 2010 timetable came with results... dont know it off top of my head but I can tell you that Const is 23rd March and EU 25th so think they start 17th and end on 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 radioface

Thanks Amigone....another sombre Paddy's day so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

March 18th - 29th:

18th Tort
    19th Company
    22nd Equity
    23rd Constitution
    24th Contract
    25th EU
    26th Property
    29th Criminal

Strange that criminal runs into a third week, probably nicer for those doing it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

18th Tort
    19th Company
    22nd Equity
    23rd Constitution
    24th Contract

25th EU
    26th Property
    29th Criminal

That is going to be a rough 3 days for me :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement