Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Just to confirm, the Defamation Act 2009 will be examinable in the March 2010 exams?

http://www.cearta.ie/2009/12/defamation-act-2009-commencement-order-2009-si-no-517-of-2009/

Above shows the commencement order has been passed so this act is fully effective from 1 Jan 2010 so i would say the act is examinable.

Here is a good summary version of it which im using, its not too long so its worth learning:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:ZaB-hAwEIwQJ:www.algoodbody.ie/GetAttachment.aspx%3Fid%3Db8103e1b-1270-409c-803d-c2ad85cea77a+summary+of+new+defamation+act+2009&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

I am selling the newest Griffith Constitutional manual. It was for the 09 October sitting so its the updated version from the march sitting. I'll sell for 60 euro. I also have the Companies Acts 1963-2006. It is the 2008 student version. It was never used because the publishers were late sending it to me so seriously, it has never even been open. I'm thinking of selling that for about 60 as well. Please pm me if interested. Thank you!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Becky55 wrote: »
    Hey guys, could anyone tell me what are the main topins that need to be covered in EU and Constitutional??? Id really appreciate any tips

Just on constitutional, there aren't really any uber reliable core topics in the sense that just because something has been on 4 times in a row, doesn't mean it will be on for the 5th time. Further, with constitutional there are "sub-topics" which have recurred a few times.

That said, what has tended to be profitable has been (I'll put a star where I know where the examiner has written on the issue, or has some research interest in it):-

Note that I may exclude matters here simply by forgetfulness.

General Matters
    • Constitutional interpretation
    • Natural law*
    • Article 45
    "Institutional" Stuff
    • The Attorney General
    • The Presidents (as, and aside, Article 26 - should we have it - what's its effect on locus standi rules etc?)
    • Executive "Privilege" / Public Interest Immunity*
    • Non-Delegation Doctrine*
    • Dail constituencies
    • Judicial Independence
    • The nature of the judicial power - McDonald etc
    • Conducting cases in private / public (apparently this is being missed by a ton of students - avoid it at your peril - Irish Times v Ireland and its progency - source out great article by Grainne Duggan BL for some recent case-law- actually here it is)
    • General separation of powers discursive essays - be able to talk intelligently about justiciabilty - i.e. don't say "Sinnott means you can't have socio-economic rights etc". Examiner quite hard on students getting the precise ratio of TD wrong etc.
    Criminal Due Process
    • This has recurred several times - i.e. all the basic issues - delay, publicity, retention / seeking out of evidence.

Rights
    All the rights we enjoy are examinable. However, some have been more frequent than others - and ones regular on the exam are
    • Privacy*
    • Freedom of Expression (including a media tint)*
    • Natural and constitutional justice (one left out by a lot of students)
    • Property Rights
    • Equality
    • Liberty
    • Family* (be able to discuss the balance between parental autonomy and children's welfare..maybe.read this to know a bit about the position re children etc)
    • Freedom to association / of assembly
    Really, I thought that I may have a short-list - but just looking at the above which I think is the minimum to do to be comfortably able to hit 5 questions, its not really a course one can cut down which is what we say all the time about constitutional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

Tort: Weirdly u never, ever get a q on general negligence principles (since new examiner came in) and thats a huge part of the book, massive part. And they really should ask as its the bread an butter of tort!

TORT: I am finding it impossible to pass I have had 5 questions in both papers and have failed it TWICE!! I dont know what I am doing wrong but I am going attempting ti again in April anyway hopefully not in vain!

Anyway that isnt what caught my attention... the bold part of the above quote from an earlier post is NOT true!!? we got a FULL problem quostion on causation in the last sitting..albeit it was the first time that this examiner has done this it is still important that people think a full question on this never comes up. it does and it was a quiet easy question if you are able to identify the topic.

Rocksteadykk - if you have two interviews for training contracts already without ANY fe-1s your doing very well!! and I would take tips off you ha!

Sunnyside - Rechecks are due back third week of January...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 femstar123

Hi guys

just wondering what changes the new property legislation has brought into effect. any facts any1 or links? any help is very much appreciated!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheedy

Hi,

I have a Griffith College Summer 09 Company Law manual for sale, €55 including postage.
    I also have Essential Law Texts, Land Law, Second Edition for sale, €40 including postage.

Send me a PM if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Rocker

Just on constitutional, there aren't really any uber reliable core topics in the sense that just because something has been on 4 times in a row, doesn't mean it will be on for the 5th time. Further, with constitutional there are "sub-topics" which have recurred a few times.

That said, what has tended to be profitable has been (I'll put a star where I know where the examiner has written on the issue, or has some research interest in it):-

Note that I may exclude matters here simply by forgetfulness.

General Matters
    • Constitutional interpretation
    • Natural law*
    • Article 45
    "Institutional" Stuff
    • The Attorney General
    • The Presidents (as, and aside, Article 26 - should we have it - what's its effect on locus standi rules etc?)
    • Executive "Privilege" / Public Interest Immunity*
    • Non-Delegation Doctrine*
    • Dail constituencies
    • Judicial Independence
    • The nature of the judicial power - McDonald etc
    • Conducting cases in private / public (apparently this is being missed by a ton of students - avoid it at your peril - Irish Times v Ireland and its progency - source out great article by Grainne Duggan BL for some recent case-law- actually here it is)
    • General separation of powers discursive essays - be able to talk intelligently about justiciabilty - i.e. don't say "Sinnott means you can't have socio-economic rights etc". Examiner quite hard on students getting the precise ratio of TD wrong etc.
    Criminal Due Process
    • This has recurred several times - i.e. all the basic issues - delay, publicity, retention / seeking out of evidence.

Rights
    All the rights we enjoy are examinable. However, some have been more frequent than others - and ones regular on the exam are
    • Privacy*
    • Freedom of Expression (including a media tint)*
    • Natural and constitutional justice (one left out by a lot of students)
    • Property Rights
    • Equality
    • Liberty
    • Family* (be able to discuss the balance between parental autonomy and children's welfare..maybe.read this to know a bit about the position re children etc)
    • Freedom to association / of assembly
    Really, I thought that I may have a short-list - but just looking at the above which I think is the minimum to do to be comfortably able to hit 5 questions, its not really a course one can cut down which is what we say all the time about constitutional!

Which is most of the course.

I cut out a lot last time and I hoped for the best, but it didn't work out and I failed, although I passed my other three so I was still happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

femstar123 wrote: »
    Hi guys

just wondering what changes the new property legislation has brought into effect. any facts any1 or links? any help is very much appreciated!!!

Hi, Griffith are teaching all the old stuff and supplementing it with any changes contained in the act. The examiner hasnt explicitly said whether the new act will be on the exam but Griffith think he may ask questions about it on a comparative analysis ie compare the old and new system on the....

The Law Society recently updated the syllabus and the property syllabus is exactly the same as it was in October and there is no mention of the new act so im not sure where that leaves us. I have tried asking some of the Griffith lecturers but havent heard anything yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 2ndtimer

Just wondering how everyone is getting on studying for EU this year in light of Lisbon?

For those studying on their own I found this link useful simpy to get my head around the changes http://www.lisbontreaty2009.ie/lisbon_treaty_extended_guide.pdf

The consolidated act available from the EU bookshop (permitted in the exam http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/exams/Legislative%20Sources%20Mar%202010.pdf )

'Contains' Lisbon updates http://bookshop.europa.eu/eubookshop/publicationDetails.action?pubuid=571526&offset=2

I am using my 2008 manual and trying to work the new provisions in, as far as I can see the changes are largely institutional, though would very much welcome any feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Roughly what are people paying for grinds?

Are the examiners/assistant examiners allowed give grinds? I recognise two of the names on the list and was thinking of dropping them an email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitzpapr

I have the following books for sale:

Contract

-Robert Clark, Contract Law in Ireland, 5th Edition, 2004, €90
    -Michael Farry, Concise Contract Law, 2nd edition,2006, €20
    -Fergus Ryan, Contract Law (nutshell), 2006, €20
    -Robert Clark & Blanaid Clarke, Contract Cases and Materials, 3rd Edition, 2004,€65

Company

-Noel McGrath & Cian Murphy, Questions and Answers on Irish Company Law, 2008, €15
    -Catherine McConville, Company Law, 2nd edition, 2008,€20
    -Grainne Callanan, Irish Company Law,3rd edition, 2007, €20
    -Thomas Courtney, Official 'Companies Acts 1963-2006', 2008 Student Edition, €50

All books in brand new condition.
    Email: fitzpapr@tcd.ie or call on 0857072932/+44 7535627207

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm looking for a recent Griffith/Independent manual and any other materials for Equity.

Also, if anyone's interested, I have a new and unused copy of Student Edition of the Companies Acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 slatts09

Hi everybody, studying for fe1 exams on my own for the first time and very lost at where to start, doing company, land, equity, and criminal, does anybody have any tips for me. In addition i am using the '05-'06 manuals and am wondering if there would be many changes in the newer manuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Firsttimer87

Hey guys, Long time lurker first time poster.

Recently arrived back to Ireland and i am tempted to do the FE-1s, I would want to do Constitutional, Tort, Criminal and EU. I have a law degree which i completed last year. Just wondering am i being too ambitious starting to study now considering they start march 18th?

Im not working so i could devote my FULL attention to these exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

slatts09 wrote: »
    Hi everybody, studying for fe1 exams on my own for the first time and very lost at where to start, doing company, land, equity, and criminal, does anybody have any tips for me. In addition i am using the '05-'06 manuals and am wondering if there would be many changes in the newer manuals.

LAnd will have changed alot with the new Act, others not so much perhaps company if dcc v ffyes isnt in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Recently arrived back to Ireland and i am tempted to do the FE-1s, I would want to do Constitutional, Tort, Criminal and EU. I have a law degree which i completed last year. Just wondering am i being too ambitious starting to study now considering they start march 18th?

Defintly do-able, remember you only have to pass three the first time for them to count, so maybe just focus on 3 and take a gamble on the fourth. I would not do constitutional and eu together though, they are the two biggest by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

law86 wrote: »
    Hi trying-to-cram, The Blackstones 2010 book doesn't include Lisbon. I haven't seen anything on sale that does, but I wasn't looking really as Blackstones is the only book allowed as far as I know. I wonder if they might allow you to bring in a copy of the Treaty itself, in addition to Blackstones.
    Thanks, I bought it and it seems to have all the new article numbering.- One more question How long should starting a topic from scratch in EU with the aim of understanding it and then doing an exam question take on average? It takes me hours and hours. Is that the norm? or am I dense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It is doable but you're taking the top 3 hardest subjects AFAIK - constitutional, tort and EU - so maybe drop one of those and leave it for the next set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

Hi just wondering if anyone has any EC or Constitutional recent (preferably griffith) manuals for sale and maybe the exam papers and post bank answers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoifecliff2

femstar123 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I feel your pain...I'm due to sit it as well and haven't a clue how to go about it now. I mailed the law society who directed me to the syllabus which contains all of the pre-new act materials and makes no mention of the reforms. Can anyone shed some light on this???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Glynn2

Hi,
    just wondering would anyone know if a 2008 Griffith manual for property be enough to get me through the exam in light of the the new act? It mentions the 2006 bill but were any significant changes made to the Bill since 2008?

Appreciate any help on this!

is it possible to pass Tort, Constitutional, Property and EU if i'm only starting to stud now?

Glynn2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering would anyone know if a 2008 Griffith manual for property be enough to get me through the exam in light of the the new act? It mentions the 2006 bill but were any significant changes made to the Bill since 2008?

Appreciate any help on this!

is it possible to pass Tort, Constitutional, Property and EU if i'm only starting to stud now?

I'm getting an awful lot of emails along these lines (i.e. Property / Lisbon changes)- and its a very sensible question. I hope I can answer it here in a sense that helps people and doesn't sound too advertisy.

In Griffith both the EU and Property lecturer are dealing with the Lisbon (for EU) and legislative (for property) changes on an ongoing basis. Lisbon has had a significant effect on what is traditionally viewed as the "institutional" areas of the syllabus (usually the early chapters in a GCD manual and I assume the same for elsewhere). Generally then, the Lisbon changes are numerical in relation to article changes. However, there are new elements on the EU syllabus relating to mergers etc which would not necessarily be in old materials. So, GCD students are getting the manual re-done on a "Lisbon" basis and anything other than that is simply too out of date to rely on. It's been a tough job given that the Examiner said the treaty would only be examinable if in enforce (rather than simply accepted by the member states) by the 1st Jan 2010 but we gambled it would be and the updates have been drip fed as they get done. In short, its been a big job and it wouldn't be done unless the Lisbon updates were really important.

The property lecturer doesn't have as big as a job to do, but the 2009 changes are important - and I should point this out - the Bill you refer to is now an Act which I really would not approach the exam without knowing about.

I asked a while ago if there would be interest in a "Lisbon" update and I got a few emails on that, so I'm going to have that included in the one-day revision classes and students doing those should get a special hand out on the Lisbon changes to the Institutions which should save a lot of work and Jennifer Goode will be very Lisbon focussed on the revision. Maybe that helps. I won't shill it any more than that, and you can find out about the one day revision courses in your own way. I think they generally seem to help people so long as its understood that they are about revision. Independent Colleges also run one day revision course and I assume the same would apply for those courses in relation to updates on Lisbon and so on.

Anyway on the general issue - I really wouldn't approach the exams without knowing about the "new" law - however you go about finding that out. There are previous posts with good guides to Lisbon and the EU Commission has provided decent material here. The new Act in Property, on the other hand, is not as well documented but Wylie and Maddox both have written commentaries on the Act and there are decent documents on many solicitors web sites. Nothing beats reading the Act itself though.

Brian

2nd in the Griffith Fantasy Football League, and Looking Unstoppable

I'm getting an awful lot of emails along these lines (i.e. Property / Lisbon changes)- and its a very sensible question. I hope I can answer it here in a sense that helps people and doesn't sound too advertisy.

In Griffith both the EU and Property lecturer are dealing with the Lisbon (for EU) and legislative (for property) changes on an ongoing basis. Lisbon has had a significant effect on what is traditionally viewed as the "institutional" areas of the syllabus (usually the early chapters in a GCD manual and I assume the same for elsewhere). Generally then, the Lisbon changes are numerical in relation to article changes. However, there are new elements on the EU syllabus relating to mergers etc which would not necessarily be in old materials. So, GCD students are getting the manual re-done on a "Lisbon" basis and anything other than that is simply too out of date to rely on. It's been a tough job given that the Examiner said the treaty would only be examinable if in enforce (rather than simply accepted by the member states) by the 1st Jan 2010 but we gambled it would be and the updates have been drip fed as they get done. In short, its been a big job and it wouldn't be done unless the Lisbon updates were really important.

The property lecturer doesn't have as big as a job to do, but the 2009 changes are important - and I should point this out - the Bill you refer to is now an Act which I really would not approach the exam without knowing about.

I asked a while ago if there would be interest in a "Lisbon" update and I got a few emails on that, so I'm going to have that included in the one-day revision classes and students doing those should get a special hand out on the Lisbon changes to the Institutions which should save a lot of work and Jennifer Goode will be very Lisbon focussed on the revision. Maybe that helps. I won't shill it any more than that, and you can find out about the one day revision courses in your own way. I think they generally seem to help people so long as its understood that they are about revision. Independent Colleges also run one day revision course and I assume the same would apply for those courses in relation to updates on Lisbon and so on.

Anyway on the general issue - I really wouldn't approach the exams without knowing about the "new" law - however you go about finding that out. There are previous posts with good guides to Lisbon and the EU Commission has provided decent material here. The new Act in Property, on the other hand, is not as well documented but Wylie and Maddox both have written commentaries on the Act and there are decent documents on many solicitors web sites. Nothing beats reading the Act itself though.

Brian

2nd in the Griffith Fantasy Football League, and Looking Unstoppable

Do you think the property law manual and the explanatory memorandum is enough for the property exam? From what I gather this is what emma callanan is teaching? And it appears from the property syllabus no new changes have been mentioned so would it be enough to know the old law and a few paragraphs on major changes, based on that contained in the act itself and the explanatory memorandum. As regards one day revision courses- has the timetable been set?

Ps has anyone received their remarks yet or know when they are due out?

sminxj wrote: »
    Do you think the property law manual and the explanatory memorandum is enough for the property exam? From what I gather this is what emma callanan is teaching? And it appears from the property syllabus no new changes have been mentioned so would it be enough to know the old law and a few paragraphs on major changes, based on that contained in the act itself and the explanatory memorandum. As regards one day revision courses- has the timetable been set?

On the one day courses, I think timetable is intended be up for Friday. The idea is to run them on the 20th, 21st 26th 27th 28th Feb and 1st 3rd 5th and 6th March.

She is teaching that way but she is also able to point out (or know) where the explanatory memo isn't accurate. One solicitor made a very strong point to me about how he felt that the memorandum was accurate on some conveyancing points and that he was surprised to see what the Act said vis-a-vis the memo. Emma has provided such, but is referring to changes on an ongoing basis in class beyond just looking at the memo etc.

I know the syllabus hasn't changed. But I dunno if I'd rely on that entirely. I'd hate to walk out of that exam and find out later than the new Act was important. Just like its hard to find where "legitimate expectation" or "proprietary estoppel" are on the contract syllabus. Its a choice for each person, but I'd rather be safe - the commentaries are good -Wylie and Maddox and they may help you out and should be in libraries by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey guys just a quick question for anyone who has experience sitting the equity exam: is it worth it to study subjects that only appear in the "pick 2 subjects to write about out of 3". Areas of the course like rectification and the maxims only appear to arise in this sort of question (as far as I am aware), and their seems to be a lot of subjects that have come up before to cover. Thus it seems like you have to study a large portion of the course, with no guarantee that this particular style of question will be asked! Is it really not worth covering this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rgnky

Hi Guys,

I must be totally crazy but i have decided to sit all 8 exams in March, i just got a honours degree in law last summer so i want to do it when the brain is stil in exam mode, and tbh im unemployed at present so i have the time to study.

Is it impossible to pass all 8 in one go, im i deluded in thinking i might just do that! Im out of work a year this month and i dont want to waste anymore time im determined to get results. if you dont push yourself it wont happen! any words of wisdom id gladly take.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey guys, been skimming back over my Griffith videos for criminal and i have noticed that the lecturer has left out Trial in due course of law?

Is this an important part of the introductory to crime. I would have thought it was because it contains the presumption of innocence and right to silence!
    Its in the manual but nothing in the videos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

I recently got an essay back from one of the big preparatory courses and although I got a really good mark, the corrector suggested that instead of addressing the problem question to the people Im told to advise, I should write it as though I were handing it in to the partner at my fictitious firm.

But these problem questions specifically say ''Advise Jupiter Ltd'' etc

Anyone have any thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement