Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

macy9 wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions on this?

I recently got an essay back from one of the big preparatory courses and although I got a really good mark, the corrector suggested that instead of addressing the problem question to the people Im told to advise, I should write it as though I were handing it in to the partner at my fictitious firm.

But these problem questions specifically say ''Advise Jupiter Ltd'' etc

Anyone have any thoughts?

My only thought is that you should just do what the examiner asks you to do. If you're asked for a "memorandum of advices" to be given to "Jupiter Ltd" by the partner, fine...do that. If an examiner asks you advise someone, just do it. I just don't understand the merit of doing anything other than what the examiner has asked.

On the other hand, it really shouldn't affect your view of the law (unless you made the point that you may not know which side "your" firm actually represents!).

I would watch out though for writing answers in the personal sense - i.e. "as your solicitor I must advise you as following". It just tends to read as really unecessary and takes away from what the answer should be about - a cogent argument on the law integrating the facts and situation the examiner has given you to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey guys, been skimming back over my Griffith videos for criminal and i have noticed that the lecturer has left out Trial in due course of law?

Is this an important part of the introductory to crime. I would have thought it was because it contains the presumption of innocence and right to silence!
    Its in the manual but nothing in the videos

From what I recall, he said that he'd deal with these when we're doing defences.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey guys, been skimming back over my Griffith videos for criminal and i have noticed that the lecturer has left out Trial in due course of law?

Is this an important part of the introductory to crime. I would have thought it was because it contains the presumption of innocence and right to silence!
    Its in the manual but nothing in the videos

This is the kinda thing moodle / staff emails are there for - just ask John!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Longfordlad

Hi guys, new here and this place looks like a godsend. Giving these exams a shot after 2 years of consideration. Ive been studying for a while and going over past papers and have only realised that I am missing the papers for April and October 09. I have just ordered them but I am looking over Tort at the moment and was hoping someone might be able to help. I was just wondering if someone might be able to PM me the topics that appeared on the Tort papers for Apr and Oct 09. I promise I am not a leecher. I really have ordered the papers (last night. A bit late I know! :confused:) but I really could do with this info asap! If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!

How is everyone finding the preparation?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

I'm interested in doing company and eu/property in the march sitting. Has anyone got manuals from 2009 revision course for either. Which is considered easier eu or property from peoples experiences?

PM me thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

pandas wrote: »
    TORT: I am finding it impossible to pass I have had 5 questions in both papers and have failed it TWICE!! I dont know what I am doing wrong but I am going attempting ti again in April anyway hopefully not in vain!

Same here. Sat it and failed it twice and my mate got it on her first go. I took a break from it and changed my subjects so going back to it now - its my last one thank god!! Never thought I'd see the day.

sminxj wrote: »
    As regards one day revision courses- has the timetable been set?

Hiya...not to advertise - but I see that (finally) you'll get your answer on the GCD fe1 website.

I'm interested in doing company and eu/property in the march sitting. Has anyone got manuals from 2009 revision course for either. Which is considered easier eu or property from peoples experiences?

PM me thanks

Just watch any EU notes that don't deal with Lisbon - it's critical on the "instutitional" side of things, less so on the fundamental freedoms and pretty important for other things. The re-numbering is also probably quite important to get your head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Hi, got griffith constitutional and criminal 2009 manuals for sale along with their sample answers- 80 each. Also got company 2008 griffith manual for 50 euro. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Hey all,

So got my re-check and they kept EU at 42.. sucks cos I've not got a clue where to start re Lisbon. So does anyone know of any add-on's or one day course being ran to bring us up to speed here?

Also, re Const law... Freedom of Speech - how is this affected by the new Defamation Act??

To add insult to injury been told by boss that they can't afford pay my Law Soc fees.... two years of FE1s and now I might not even be able to go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jenny C29

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is looking for grinds in any of the fe1 subjects. I am a qualified practitioner offering one to one or group grinds complete with condensed notes and sample answers to interested parties.

For more information please contact me off thread.

Many thanks,

Jenny

Amigone wrote: »
    Hey all,

So got my re-check and they kept EU at 42.. sucks cos I've not got a clue where to start re Lisbon. So does anyone know of any add-on's or one day course being ran to bring us up to speed here?

Also, re Const law... Freedom of Speech - how is this affected by the new Defamation Act??

To add insult to injury been told by boss that they can't afford pay my Law Soc fees.... two years of FE1s and now I might not even be able to go!

The details for the one day courses are up (for GCD) on the gcd.ie/fe1 webpage and Independent Colleges has its details up on its webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 finnpt

Aimee34 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have Independent Manuals for sale: Company and Constitutional Oct 09. Tort April 09. Dublin area, 50e each. PM me.
    Hi

Have you still got a copy of the the company manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Must say Im disappointed with Independent colleges with regards to their intensive seminar. I paid over 2700 euro to do the regular classes and they still want another 200 euro to do the seminar. :( There should be some exemption for people who have paid for all 8 of the regular classes imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Must say Im disappointed with Independent colleges with regards to their intensive seminar. I paid over 2700 euro to do the regular classes and they still want another 200 euro to do the seminar. :( There should be some exemption for people who have paid for all 8 of the regular classes imo

You shouldn't need the intensive seminar if you've done the ordinary 14 weeks of classes, that's the whole point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Jev/N wrote: »
    You shouldn't need the intensive seminar if you've done the ordinary 14 weeks of classes, that's the whole point

If that's the whole point then they wouldn't have contacted students offering them a discounted rate to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Does anyone happen to know if there are any major changes in equity (in trusts etc) as a result of the new land act and also if the manuals have changed much since last year? Also wanted to check with others if contract manuals for 08 were still fairly ok to use? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

Hey I'm looking for the most recent manual for EU. Need to get the Lisbon stuff! PM me thanks. (In Dublin too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

If that's the whole point then they wouldn't have contacted students offering them a discounted rate to attend.

Nah, they're a business and exist to make money. It's all the same to them to add you because once you're already a student they have all your details in their system, so very little paper work at their end.

I am confident that I won't need those extra revision seminars. Another two hours on Moodle won't make much of a difference if you're on top of the stuff by then :)

rubensni wrote: »
    Nah, they're a business and exist to make money. It's all the same to them to add you because once you're already a student they have all your details in their system, so very little paper work at their end.

I am confident that I won't need those extra revision seminars. Another two hours on Moodle won't make much of a difference if you're on top of the stuff by then :)

Don't forget that lecturer's etc need to be paid for their time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stewbacca

Pat.Kenny wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to know if there are any major changes in equity (in trusts etc) as a result of the new land act and also if the manuals have changed much since last year? Also wanted to check with others if contract manuals for 08 were still fairly ok to use? Thanks

I'm in the same boat regarding equity don't fully know if it's been effected if at all...if people have any info that would be great!

stewbacca wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat regarding equity don't fully know if it's been effected if at all...if people have any info that would be great!

I'll try to have some sort of answer for you next week.

Although this is what one day revision courses are there for, where-ever you do them!

Brian

GCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stewbacca

I'll try to have some sort of answer for you next week.

Although this is what one day revision courses are there for, where-ever you do them!

Brian

GCD

Thanks that'd be great. I'd love to do some of the griffith revision courses cause a few friends recommended them but I'm extremely broke at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

They made it clear to us in the last course that while we received the e-mails, there was no intention on their part for us to take the course and it was just a formality.

They'll probably tell you the same in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

re new companies act, is there anything major that this act brings to the table or anyone have a any links to literature on it, im just not 100% sure ive coverred everything in it

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Hi. does anyone want the McCann and Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963-2006? it is the student version. It has never been opened because
    I ended up having two of them the time I sat the exam. I would be willing to sell it at 60euro including postal costs. Pm me if interested!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Does the law society frown upon a student who when sitting the FE1s for the first time, sits three exams and passes them but just writes their name/exam number on the fourth exam just so they can pass the other three and consequently bring down the marks of the other three?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ruby83 wrote: »
    Does the law society frown upon a student who when sitting the FE1s for the first time, sits three exams and passes them but just writes their name/exam number on the fourth exam just so they can pass the other three and consequently bring down the marks of the other three?

Im sure they would be delighted. Another €110 in their pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

32minutes wrote: »
    re new companies act, is there anything major that this act brings to the table or anyone have a any links to literature on it, im just not 100% sure ive coverred everything in it

It didnt bring in too many changes. Quick summary here: http://www.landwellglobal.com/ie/publications/landwell_the_companies_amendment_act_2009.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

legallad wrote: »

great thanks for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement