Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thefifty

Hi guys, I'm at a loss to following situation and trying to get my head around Equity but really don't know if I've got a handle on it at all.

If X alloys Y to live on his property in the gatehouse rent free for as long as Y so wishes and Y in return must clean X's house every day. This relationship continues for 8 years without difficulty.

X decides to sell to Z entire estate including the gatehouse with vacant possession. Contracts are signed to this effect.

It is orally agreed between X and Z to abide by the arrangement they had with Y (i.e. to allow Y to stay rent free and clean the house).

Z now wishes to get rid of Y as Z does not like Y. What is the law that supports Z in getting rid of Y?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitzpapr

Does anyone have any advice on potential topics to leave out when studying EU? I have heard citizenship is ok to omit, however would it be a huge risk to omit Competition? Does this topic come up on its own or is it asked with other topics>?

Any help fully appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

I'd be very reluctant to leave competition out, I know people have and you would certainkly have 6 qs on paper without competition but then ud need to no everything else and i mean everythin! I think competition while dauntingly big at first glance is one the more intersting and straightforward chapters, with cases that stick in your mind a bit more than citizenship etc.

I'd do it anyway and leave out citizeship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitzpapr

Cheers for the advice. Apparently Competition wasn't on last years paper so leaving it out this year could be foolish; citizenship is it then!

I did EU in OCt and it was on the paper, just in an obscure enough way, was phrased weirdly and it was only one Q and most years it'd be two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

stewbacca wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat regarding equity don't fully know if it's been effected if at all...if people have any info that would be great!

Re Equity I think you'd certainly want to check out the changes in relation to settlement of land and trusts of land. Part 4 of the 2009 Act abolishes the rules dealing with settled land (Settled Land Acts, 1882-1890) and replaces them with a trust of land scheme. Fun reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Anyone else finding working full time and trying to cram for the FE1s exhausting?? I just started into it seriously last week and think I may have left things a bit late! Let the panic begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ruby83 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding working full time and trying to cram for the FE1s exhausting?? I just started into it seriously last week and think I may have left things a bit late! Let the panic begin!

+1, Especially with a big dirty EU exam coming up... Shoot me now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

I find if you do it in little bits it can help. If you use public transport to work just get out a jotter and write down a few cases etc. Sort of revision:LUAS style. I try and get up about half an hour early and have a quick look at what i did the night before (if anything!) then the evening do another bit. The thing is to use your time well, 3 x 20 minutes during the day can be just as effective as an hour long slog when your brain is mush in the evening from that talkative bollix that spends his day nattering away 2 foot from your ear.....anyway it's just about time management. If people can afford to take time off fair play to them but for those that can't it just requires a little more focus. it's not impossible though just a little more difficult;) Good luck! S

shaneybaby wrote: »
    I find if you do it in little bits it can help. If you use public transport to work just get out a jotter and write down a few cases etc. Sort of revision:LUAS style. I try and get up about half an hour early and have a quick look at what i did the night before (if anything!) then the evening do another bit. The thing is to use your time well, 3 x 20 minutes during the day can be just as effective as an hour long slog when your brain is mush in the evening from that talkative bollix that spends his day nattering away 2 foot from your ear.....anyway it's just about time management. If people can afford to take time off fair play to them but for those that can't it just requires a little more focus. it's not impossible though just a little more difficult;) Good luck! S

Thanks for that. I'm trying to get the Griffith lectures in before work and during lunch (yes my colleagues all think I've become very anti-social) and am studying in the evenings til about 9 and all wkend. It is going in I have to say and am hoping to get a weeks study leave before the exams. Have accepted the fact that I will not have time to study the 4th subject but c'est la vie! Will concentrate on passing the three now at this stage. Can't wait to be finished and have a life again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Dont talk to me i have a 3 month old baby and a 2 year old, i dont get a minute all day and the baby is only sleeping 2 hours at a time at night im up 3/4 times to feed him im not getting any time to study.

Anyone any tips on what i can safely leave out in Tort?

Thanks for that. I'm trying to get the Griffith lectures in before work and during lunch (yes my colleagues all think I've become very anti-social) and am studying in the evenings til about 9 and all wkend. It is going in I have to say and am hoping to get a weeks study leave before the exams. Have accepted the fact that I will not have time to study the 4th subject but c'est la vie! Will concentrate on passing the three now at this stage. Can't wait to be finished and have a life again!

Don't worry it'll all work out in the end. You'll be back in the grove of Lunchtime gossip by the end of March :) Giving yourself and evening off once a week (like don't even look at a book) i find can be helpful, just to calm down a bit.

As for study leave it is absolutely essential you get a good clean two three days before an exam. Clears the head of work muck:)

page1 wrote: »
    Dont talk to me i have a 3 month old baby and a 2 year old, i dont get a minute all day and the baby is only sleeping 2 hours at a time at night im up 3/4 times to feed him im not getting any time to study.

Read him the new defamation act, it'll be lights out in 30 seconds!!!

Tort is one that you can't seem to leave anything out in, wasn't there a question on Fire there recently? I suppose do as much as you can, not very helpful but he can and does ask pretty much anything on the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

I'm doing the whole work and study thing too, finding it a tough juggling act but just counting down the days til these damn exams are over! Not doing any courses and using '08 books so wanted to ask if people had any info or knew of any good articles/websites detailing the important changes to company law since last year, kinda worried I'm missing stuff given it's such a huge area:confused:

Thanks

Mshellster wrote: »
    I'm doing the whole work and study thing too, finding it a tough juggling act but just counting down the days til these damn exams are over! Not doing any courses and using '08 books so wanted to ask if people had any info or knew of any good articles/websites detailing the important changes to company law since last year, kinda worried I'm missing stuff given it's such a huge area:confused:

Thanks

http://www.landwellglobal.com/ie/pub...t_act_2009.pdf

Also of interest to anyone doing company is the current issue of 'Business and Finance' magazine, which has a very interesting piece on the current state of the examinership proccess, possible areas of reform and liquidation. As both these didnt come up last time, might be worth reading for a few extra marks

page1 wrote: »

Weirdly enough, and I'm not recommending leaving them out entirely and not reading them, but you could get away with not learning the general negligence principles/evolution of irish-english position/glencar. That is a huge bit of the course. This is because since the new examiner took over he has never asked a q on it. Obv u need to read it to understand rest of the course but u wouldnt neccesarily need to learn alot of it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

not to butt in but i havent looked at the report or last sessions tort and there was some to confusion whether one of the questions was on gen negligence or rylands v fletcher and i was fairly convinced that it was on gen negligence...
    Weirdly enough, and I'm not recommending leaving them out entirely and not reading them, but you could get away with not learning the general negligence principles/evolution of irish-english position/glencar. That is a huge bit of the course. This is because since the new examiner took over he has never asked a q on it. Obv u need to read it to understand rest of the course but u wouldnt neccesarily need to learn alot of it off.

Really? I didnt do that q, thought at first glance it was a hodgepodge of various diff things incl rylands v fletcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

Really? I didnt do that q, thought at first glance it was a hodgepodge of various diff things incl rylands v fletcher.

well there was a lot of debate earlier on in the thread about it so cant be certain, im waiting on the exam report to get to me and then il post it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stewbacca

Re Equity I think you'd certainly want to check out the changes in relation to settlement of land and trusts of land. Part 4 of the 2009 Act abolishes the rules dealing with settled land (Settled Land Acts, 1882-1890) and replaces them with a trust of land scheme. Fun reading...

Thanks for this Brian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey guys, just studying some consitutional and i was wondering what people think of the chances of either the new law on blasphemy or the value of the senate cropping up seeing as they have been topical issues lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

AHHHH too late i have just spent the last week learning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Would anyone know of some good articles on directors encompassing any of the new changes made to company law, I haven't been able to locate anything of much use?

Not sure if I'm up to speed with all the new changes so if anyone has some info or knows where to locate it regarding all the recent legislation (even just a list specifing all the acts and stuff) that need to be covered that be really great, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

HI. I was thinking of doing the distance learning course in Griffith...i know its a little late. so i was wondering whether there is any great difference between the distance learning course and the ordinary course????? I've done the latter before but this time due to my timetable i won't be able to actually make it to class so would this be the best option for me???

Thanks!!

lalala85 wrote: »
    HI. I was thinking of doing the distance learning course in Griffith...i know its a little late. so i was wondering whether there is any great difference between the distance learning course and the ordinary course????? I've done the latter before but this time due to my timetable i won't be able to actually make it to class so would this be the best option for me???

Thanks!!

It depends on what you want from a course! Some people prefer live because it forces them to take a particular and regular period of time to sit, listen and think about the material. But given all the lectures are recorded and online, if you're the kind of person who can find the time and has the discipline to watch and read-up then there's not really that much of a difference. In the olden days, the difference was "distance" simply got a manual and could use the moodle support system etc, but the online stuff has really (in my opinion anyway) eradicated the difference between distance and ordinary - the real difference is "online versus live".

Hope that makes sense.

Hey guys, just studying some consitutional and i was wondering what people think of the chances of either the new law on blasphemy or the value of the senate cropping up seeing as they have been topical issues lately?

There isn't really a way to answer this save by saying it's as likely as anything else such as unborn protection (embryos), de facto families (McD v L). It may be on the exam, just as much as a question on the non-delegation doctrine may be on the exam.

In hindsight, one can certainly "understand" the exams in the sense that sometimes things that were in the news around the time (Dail constituencies around the last election) end up on the paper or things that the examiner has been writing on at the time (balance in Article 41, privacy, media). On the other hand, some of the questions are remarkably similar to the quesions we had in Trinity (i.e. relatively timeless ones on Article 26, natural law, constitutional intepretation) etc.

Indeed for all the "topical focus" on some exams, other exams are quite non-topical, such as the two exams from 2009 - i.e. no special reference to things that were "hot" in the media at the time (save the balance in
    Article 41 question in April, but again - he was writing on that at the time).

I really wouldn't divert attention towards anything "niche" but topical if it means paying less attention to getting a broad understanding of the syllabus as a whole. There aren't patterns to this exam in the sense that permits prediction - the examiner doesn't look at past papers when setting it etc. He certainly examines certain things with more frequency than others, but that's about it.

lalala85 wrote: »

Thanks!!

I think the distance learning course is great. I get it in before work, on my lunch and whenever I can spare the time basically. The time it would take me to actually get into town and go to lectures, I feel is better spent studying at home. As Brian said, its a matter of preference re setting specific times etc to go to lectures but I certainly find the distance learning gives great flexibility for people who don't have alot of time to study. I would recommend it anyway and intend doing it again for the next batch of exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

I have come to the conclusion that trying to learn EU law is not conducive to remaining sane!

I was wondering could anyone help with the following, im an trying to see if i am thinking along the right lines or just getting confused. The following are from questions on the freedoms:

1) April 2006 Q5: Is the monthly declaration system a distinctly applicable, indistinctly applicable rule or selling arrangement

2) Same Ques: Is the levy a charge having equiv effect to customs duty or internal tax (i know it doesnt apply at the same rate per denkavit criteria but just double checking)

3) April 2007 Q5: Is the requirement to hold the license an indistinctly applicable rule or does it amount to a selling arrangement (ie governing who can sell it thus suggesting an SA but i am not sure)

Any help will be very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

legallad wrote: »

1) April 2006 Q5: Is the monthly declaration system a distinctly applicable, indistinctly applicable rule or selling arrangement

I would think it is distinctly applicable as the importer has to register the amount before he has an opportunity to sell but the Local seller can sell as much as he wants before he declares his sales. That would restrict the importer in the amount he can sell and discriminates against imported produce.
    Just looked at it again actually and it doesnt say in the question whether or not the importer is allowed to sell before they have registered. It could be indistinctly applicable otherwise as it applies to Importers and Locals equally.

I could be wrong though, i may stand to be corrected
    EDIT: Im going through each scenario individually, so give me some time
    legallad wrote: »
    2) Same Ques: Is the levy a charge having equiv effect to customs duty or internal tax (i know it doesnt apply at the same rate per denkavit criteria but just double checking)

It all depends on whether the is more burdensome on imports over local produce. My estimates to lead me to think that 0.12% of the retail price is alot more than 0.15% of the factory price as the retail price includes VAT (at whatever rate) So if the retail price is over 0.03% more than the factory price then the tax is heavier on the imported good. That would make it a charge having equivalent effect to a customs duty as it discriminates against imports

Id love for someone to come and see if i am right because like yourself im currently studying this topic and would like to see how im grasping it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

hi all, bit confused at some of the recent posts in relation to recent changes to company law perhaps in relation to directors, is this true ? and if so what areas hav changed and are there any links people have to show what is changed, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement