Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Becky55 wrote: »
    hi all, bit confused at some of the recent posts in relation to recent changes to company law perhaps in relation to directors, is this true ? and if so what areas hav changed and are there any links people have to show what is changed, thanks

I can't recommend www.lexology.com enough. It brings together all the "firm" updates / bulletins. Register with it, and search for Irish articles on Company / Commercial. There are at least three on the 2009 Act alone.

Regards

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitzpapr

To the person who just called me on 0857072932 regarding buying the company acts please call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

http://www.landwellglobal.com/ie/pub...t_act_2009.pdf

Also of interest to anyone doing company is the current issue of 'Business and Finance' magazine, which has a very interesting piece on the current state of the examinership proccess, possible areas of reform and liquidation. As both these didnt come up last time, might be worth reading for a few extra marks

Sound, thanks for that.

Anyone have any tips or suggetsions on areas that could possibly be left out for Company? Feel like the subject is taking over my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

hi all, cud anyone giv me a few tips as to what topics one cud study with the hope to passing the exam, a.k.a the bare essentials, hav not even started on it yet as i was concentrating on my other subjects, thanks any help wud be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TommyGavin

In a nutshell the following, I think, should be sufficient for passing the exam;
    • Institutions (Prob Parliament, I think)
    • PR (Art 267 Ex Art 234) or direct & individual concern
    • Supremacy, Direct Effect & MS liability
    • Competences - Fundamental rights
    • FMOG (Customs Duties & MEQR's)
    • FMOW & Citizenship
    Interchange one of the above with competition if you prefer.

I know it seems a lot, if you wish you could omit one, entirely at your own risk, from that list and you should have your 5Q's
    I'd probably omit the FMOG cos it's so long and quite complex, the rest is quite theoretical without the technicalities that come with Customs duties and charges having equivalent effect and MEQR's which can become overwhelming.

I'm currently not too fond of FMOG i've spent the last 2 days on it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie on this board, I'm tackling four subjects in March. I'm really confused about the syllabus on Property law. There is no mention of the Land & Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 on the official exam syllabus, yet there is mention of all the old concepts that the act has now made obsolete. Sorry if this has already been debated to death here, but I would appreciate knowing how you feel this will play out? Will the exam ignore the new Act (hard to believe), or will they perhaps go the route of "discuss the law in relation to Feudal tenure, fee farm grants, wtf else.." and leave it to the punter to introduce the recent Act?

Advice appreciated.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

hi all, cud anyone giv me a few tips as to what topics one cud study with the hope to passing the exam, a.k.a the bare essentials, hav not even started on it yet as i was concentrating on my other subjects, thanks any help wud be appreciated

I'd cover Institutions, all Five Freedoms, Competition, Prelim Ref & Supremacy, Direct/Indirect Effect and Citizenship to get a definite 5 questions answered.

I did all but Comp in last sitting and came out with a 42% :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

hi guys thanks for the tips, in relation to lisbon what areas hav changed, i know the institutions are affected, ya? im working from a 2 year old ec law book and am worried that what i am studying may be completely overhauled by the new act, do you no any good links that clear up the changes brought in by the lisbon act or do you think my old EC law book will get me through?????

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

hi guys thanks for the tips, in relation to lisbon what areas hav changed, i know the institutions are affected, ya? im working from a 2 year old ec law book and am worried that what i am studying may be completely overhauled by the new act, do you no any good links that clear up the changes brought in by the lisbon act or do you think my old EC law book will get me through?????

Old book - no, I don't think so at all. Sure we overhauled the GCD course on an ongoing basis just by reason of this wonderful treaty. It's not "my" topic but aside from substantive changes to institutions etc other changes include numerical ones, and from my understanding of EU, its not the subject you want to get the article numbers wrong on a continuous basis. There are free to download tables of equivalences on europa to address this, and there are also some really good guides to the treaty on europa also - i'd spend an hour or two trawling that. Further, from what I know, the examiner increased the syallbus this year including (I think) concentrations and mergers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lollipop

Anyone have a griffith exam grid for Constitutional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Hey all, boards has turned into my saviour lately so here goes!...I'm kinda lost with this area as I'm working off old materials...wondering how this might be examined in light of the 2009 Act? Is the Act the most important thing to know? Anyone know of some articles/websites that kinda deal with this and trusts? Is it worth knowing how the whole area operated before in detail or are the changes the most relevant thing? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Yeah i am looking for some info on that too, delaney's book only mentions it briefly as something that is forthcoming. All i could find is this pdf on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Ya my Delany book is well out of date so I'm scrambling to find something short and sweet that'll shed light on the important changes!

As far as I know unless something has changed today none of the substantive parts of the Charities Act 2009 that would affect the law on charitable trusts have been commenced yet.

Therefore the law as set out in the various textbooks has not been altered and is still applicable.

The examiner mentioned in his report that he was impressed that candidates knew about it though.

Certainly make reference to the Act where applicable if possible but don't focus your answer on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Old book - no, I don't think so at all. Sure we overhauled the GCD course on an ongoing basis just by reason of this wonderful treaty. It's not "my" topic but aside from substantive changes to institutions etc other changes include numerical ones, and from my understanding of EU, its not the subject you want to get the article numbers wrong on a continuous basis. There are free to download tables of equivalences on europa to address this, and there are also some really good guides to the treaty on europa also - i'd spend an hour or two trawling that. Further, from what I know, the examiner increased the syallbus this year including (I think) concentrations and mergers.

In this years examiner report he said he will NOT penalise you for using old treaty numbers. Also he said Lisbon is examinable but will probably just form a discrete part of one question. Finally he mentioned a few areas of importance from the treaty so I would recommend reading a bit about these.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Just wondering does section 14 of DA relate to innuendo - true innuendo specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Does anyone know where I can buy some Griffith manuals and here to locate FE-1 past papers? I shall be sitting in the autumn so still have plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

Studying for Property on my own. Can anyone advise me as to what to study? What way is the Act examinable? Can we leave out Settled Land for example because it has been abolished? Would really appreciate any advice on this, thanks

• Advertisement

So I need advice/words of comfort here....

I've been working with a solicitor who promised me from the outset he'd put me through Blackhall fees paid, for 18 months now. I've all but 2 exams left to get so hopefully I'll have them after this March.

I've just been told in no uncertain (and very harsh and cold) terms that No, I won't have my fees paid and No, I won't be paid while I'm in PPC1. He basically told me i was lucky to have a job and that if i could find a training solicitor who would put me through my traineeship and pay me then to 'go on ahead'.

The thing is, fine it's a lot of money, but I'll be ok for my fees - I'll get a loan. But living day to day if i get into Blackhall is my main concern. I wont be entitled to social welfare and there's no way I can save now... I make min wage at moment and saving isn't really an option.

I guess I'm bitter because as far as i was concerned the terms of my work were as given when tarineeship offered and NOT ONCE did my employer come and speak to me when things changed, I'd to chase him three times for these final answers.

I'm seriously considering packing it all in. I hate where I work and the people I work with, I cry every night at the thought of facing them the next day. I work my as* off in here and now feel like it's all been thrown in my face.

Maybe some will say I'm feeling sorry for myself and there's a recession and there's lots more worse off - and i get that. But just for me today, I feel pretty crap.

Soo.... rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ok im doing 4 subjects for the first time. Iv decided to consentrate on 3 and leave Tort slide. But i still want to prepare something. I have already covered the Negligence Principles already.

Im thinking that i will just concentrate on

1. Defamation
    2. Nervous Shock
    3. Tresspass to Person/Nuisance/Rylands Rule
    4. Defences
    5. Products Liability

Does anybody else have any recommendations on what i can leave out and what im guaranteed a querstion on. I know Tort is HUGE and you cant really leave out stuff but this is an exam i dont mind failing but still want to give it a stab!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

You sound like myself - this is happening all over the legal world. Solicitors are up to their nickers in debt (not all but a lot) with huge portfolios of properties that are worth nothing.

I come in every day to a serpent. I myself think that she does not sleep at night wondering how she is going to degrade me or bully me more. I have two more exams to do and I am only sitting one this time around as I physically cannot do any more due to the stress in this hell hole that I work in. Even though she has said she will give me the apprentice she can keep it as my life is hell now can you imagine what it would be like doing the traineeship here.

I am a legal secretary with 10 years experience and in my 40s and I have never come across such a miserable, spinister in my life. She takes pleausre out of degrading all in the office any chance she gets. She then goes on about bullying and representing people for this when she herself is the worst of all.

Not much words of comfort but you are not alone.

pink101 wrote: »
    Even though she has said she will give me the apprentice she can keep it as my life is hell now can you imagine what it would be like doing the traineeship here.

QUOTE]

So what to do?! Pack it all in after all the exams and stress and working towards something??

I just don't know what to do.

I'd love to say I'll forget it all and hightail to Oz... but i can't even afford a plane ticket :-(

Amigone wrote: »
    Even though she has said she will give me the apprentice she can keep it as my life is hell now can you imagine what it would be like doing the traineeship here.

QUOTE]

So what to do?! Pack it all in after all the exams and stress and working towards something??

I just don't know what to do.

I'd love to say I'll forget it all and hightail to Oz... but i can't even afford a plane ticket :-(

No

Sorry hit wrong button there. No I am not going to pack it in and you should not either. If you think of all the hard work and study you put in to getting the exams why should these people stop us from qualifying.

We have to think positive and rise above it even though that is a very hard thing to do.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Ok im doing 4 subjects for the first time. Iv decided to consentrate on 3 and leave Tort slide. But i still want to prepare something. I have already covered the Negligence Principles already.

Im thinking that i will just concentrate on

1. Defamation
    2. Nervous Shock
    3. Tresspass to Person/Nuisance/Rylands Rule
    4. Defences
    5. Products Liability

Does anybody else have any recommendations on what i can leave out and what im guaranteed a querstion on. I know Tort is HUGE and you cant really leave out stuff but this is an exam i dont mind failing but still want to give it a stab!

I know one cant predict or go by what is "due" up but if I was giving an educated guess have looked at the grids for the past 12 sittings id say you would need a bit more than the above. I would learn those and in addition the following (but as i said this is all guesswork and none may come up!):

Proof of Negligence (res ipsa)
    Negligent Misstatement
    Occupiers Liability/Employers Liability

It wouldnt take you long to learn these as they are not long topics.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1126/mahon.html

This might be of interest to those doing constitution this year. It is in regards to the recognition of journalistic privilege in Ireland.

Also re Lisbon I had a read through this yesterday and although it is focused on the Uks perspective it is well laid out and goes through all the changes. It also has pieces on areas specifically mentioned by the EU examiner in octobers exam reports ie judicial co operation with special attention to family matters and increased transparency and democratic accountability.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/documents/downloads/guide_to_treaty_of_lisbon.pdf

You sound like myself - this is happening all over the legal world. Solicitors are up to their nickers in debt (not all but a lot) with huge portfolios of properties that are worth nothing.

I come in every day to a serpent. I myself think that she does not sleep at night wondering how she is going to degrade me or bully me more. I have two more exams to do and I am only sitting one this time around as I physically cannot do any more due to the stress in this hell hole that I work in. Even though she has said she will give me the apprentice she can keep it as my life is hell now can you imagine what it would be like doing the traineeship here.

I am a legal secretary with 10 years experience and in my 40s and I have never come across such a miserable, spinister in my life. She takes pleausre out of degrading all in the office any chance she gets. She then goes on about bullying and representing people for this when she herself is the worst of all.

Not much words of comfort but you are not alone.

There is legal relief for such behaviour if its as bad as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

Anyone selling companies acts? pm me thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement