Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Amigone wrote: »
    Anyone know if chancing handing it in that morning is running the risk of not getting it back on time??

I'm sure there are people here with more recent experience than my own, it being 4 years or more since I last sat an Fe-1, but then when legislation was handed in on the morning of an exam it would usually take 20mins+ to get it given back. I can't imagine things have changed that much in the meantime.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dats_right wrote: »
    I'm sure there are people here with more recent experience than my own, it being 4 years or more since I last sat an Fe-1, but then when legislation was handed in on the morning of an exam it would usually take 20mins+ to get it given back. I can't imagine things have changed that much in the meantime.
    20-30 mins is about right, depending on the number of people who handed them in on the day. That's grand for an amount of time to be without the comfort blanket of your legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

im grappling with knowing i'll be worrying about not getting it back on time and stressing myself out v. stress of having to brave dublin traffic on a monday morning the day before!

I guess it'll come down to how much i actually care! Plus argument is if one is studied enough then you should know the articles anyway!

Ah the eternal dillemma!

I dream of a life not dominated by bi-annual Fe1's..... ahhhh dreams.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

I sat constitution in october and handed mine in the morning of the exam and had it within 30 minutes so i wouldnt worry about not having it on time and as you said if you study enough youll have no need for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BlueSkinny

I am due to sit my first FE1 on the 19th and Im terrified , I would be relatively intelligent but with work and stress and everything I have left it all to the last minute , I have essentially three weeks to study but due to the way the exams are spaced out ,I have amble time to comcentrate from this point on.

I am sitting Equity, Company, Property , Consitutional and Criminal , Im not worried about criminal and property but the one that frightens me most is Equity, is there anything I can with some degree of certainty leave off the course.
    also can some one tell me what kind of answer are they generally looking for , I feel that once I have at least one case to back up an answer I should be alright , I dont think I need alot of cases in each answer in reality but I could be way off base.

PLEASE HELP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

BlueSkinny wrote: »
    I am due to sit my first FE1 on the 19th and Im terrified , I would be relatively intelligent but with work and stress and everything I have left it all to the last minute , I have essentially three weeks to study but due to the way the exams are spaced out ,I have amble time to comcentrate from this point on.

I am sitting Equity, Company, Property , Consitutional and Criminal , Im not worried about criminal and property but the one that frightens me most is Equity, is there anything I can with some degree of certainty leave off the course.
    also can some one tell me what kind of answer are they generally looking for , I feel that once I have at least one case to back up an answer I should be alright , I dont think I need alot of cases in each answer in reality but I could be way off base.

PLEASE HELP

Not to spook you at all - but if you can - I would improve on the "one case per answer". Many of the "points" which arise on these exams aren't "one case" points.

That said, I know many, many people who have starte working later than you. With a consistent routine and dedication over the next three weeks, you can do it without a problem. Sure three full weeks off is the same as nearly 15 weeks for someone who is working full time without leave!

Source materials, whatever ones you find best and simply knuckle down. There is plenty of time. Leaving things off the courses isn't advisable generally but everyone would accept that, say, if the contract exam was on tommorrow, and you only had the rest of the day to study, you'd focus on some things to the detriment of others.

Seriously...with three full weeks to go, you'll be ok.

If you need it there are lots of places / persons who can help such as the tutors on the fe1 list the law society maintains, the one day courses whether at GCD or ICD or elsewhere...maybe a session or two with someone who has done them before / has expertise would help you. I wouldn't think its ever necessary, but it can help. I'm sure, as well, that private grinds could be sourced from a lot of successfull fe1 candidates (you could put an ad in the law society?) and maybe one or two of those, coupled with time and dedication will see you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Oh the panic... three weeks as of next Tuesday until Const.... SLOW DOWN TIME!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Amigone wrote: »
    Oh the panic... three weeks as of next Tuesday until Const.... SLOW DOWN TIME!!

Tell me about it! i cant wait to finish and reintroduce myself to society after them! My brain is fried already

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

No TV and No Beer make Homer something something...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Getting_Steads

Companies Acts for sale for FE1 company exam. Used Once. 30 Euro

PM if interested

(pick up in UCD)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Anyone know what came up in Criminal last year?

Heard Provocation and Domestic Violence was Q8

and Agg Burg and other NFOAPA was Q6

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

hello, has anyone received their exam no for the next sitting, from the law society yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

PLEASE HELP

Dont worry about starting too late.. I do the same every time and once your working hard between now and then you'll be fine.

With equity, go through your exam papers a pattern will emerge with some topics.. from what I remember maxims are well due a run this time.. tracing should be up.. the quia timet injunction is due.. trusteeship didnt come up last time so should be up this time.. secret trusts could be due a go.. and do resulting trusts.. there was a crap question on them the last time so it might be easier this time..

With answering questions I think the main thing to remember is that you have to answer the question that is being asked and avoid sticking in stuff you know simply because you know it even if this means your answer looks really short once it is to the point thats whats important.. If you read one or two examiners reports you'll get an idea what the examiner is looking for and what they dont want..

what are you covering for company and property or what would you consider essential?

hello, has anyone received their exam no for the next sitting, from the law society yet?

Havnt got mine yet.. id say we can expect them next week some time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BlueSkinny

thanks for the help dude , I really appreciate it , from speaking to people ive come to the conclusion that three weeks is indeed enough time to get it done. In regards to the company exam , im primarily studying separate legal personality, ultra virses, corporate authority, directors, transactions between directors and companies, restrictions, transfer of shares, shareholder protection, borrowing by the company , liquidation and realisation of corporate assets,

Im not sure what I should be focusing on for constituional due to the sheer size of the course, primarily personal rights, separation of powers, due course of law, family issues, and some other insititional questions perhaps , does anyone have any tips for EQUITY or CONSTITUTIONAL ???

how effective is the night before cramming also????

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Amre17 wrote: »
    Dont worry about starting too late.. I do the same every time and once your working hard between now and then you'll be fine.

With equity, go through your exam papers a pattern will emerge with some topics.. from what I remember maxims are well due a run this time.. tracing should be up.. the quia timet injunction is due.. trusteeship didnt come up last time so should be up this time.. secret trusts could be due a go.. and do resulting trusts.. there was a crap question on them the last time so it might be easier this time..

With answering questions I think the main thing to remember is that you have to answer the question that is being asked and avoid sticking in stuff you know simply because you know it even if this means your answer looks really short once it is to the point thats whats important.. If you read one or two examiners reports you'll get an idea what the examiner is looking for and what they dont want..

what are you covering for company and property or what would you consider essential?

Cheers for the advice man, equity is my first exam and i think it will be really important to get off to a good start in these exams. Feel v. confident now as I think I have a good grasp of the key topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Works differently for everyone but I found that re-reading my notes one last time right before the exam was really helpful. But, I'd recommend getting a good night's sleep and doing the re-reading in the morning. Nothing worse than sitting at that desk struggling to put an answer together because you're sleep-deprived.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

Would anyone happen to know where I could find info on some case Digitalmall.com? Not even sure if that is a case or what, I just noticed it mentioned in the examiner report to question one in Oct 08 exams and I have zero info or knowledge of it?

Contract is hard work:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Mshellster wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to know where I could find info on some case Digitalmall.com? Not even sure if that is a case or what, I just noticed it mentioned in the examiner report to question one in Oct 08 exams and I have zero info or knowledge of it?

Contract is hard work:confused:

It's a case from Singapore. Indeed, she got the name of the case wrong in her report, so I'm not surprised its hard to find anything on it. The case is actually the Digilandmall.com case (not digitalmall.com as she has in the report) - Chwee Kin Keong & Ors v Digilandmall.com Pte Ltd. The report would be here.

On google books you can search the text of Contract Law in Hong Kong by Fisher, Desmond and Greenwood. The case is covered (in my hard copy) at pages 236 to 237, and I assume same is the case on google books.

Do note that when the examiner refers to these things, she is not saying "one had to mention it" but just commenting on how some students knew about it.

Further, the examiner has already been quite hard on people just using comparative law when it's not necessarily correct for this jurisdiction, and I'm not entirely sure the following (from the CA) would reflect Irish or English law:- "In our opinion, it is only where the court finds that there is actual knowledge that the case comes within the ambit of the common law doctrine of unilateral mistake." I don't think I know of an Irish case that's gone that far away from constructive knowledge (i.e. reasonably ought to have known....).

Brian

Thanks a mil for the info Brian. Any tips or advice you have for dealing with the contract exam in general would also be seriously appreciated, having a tough time with the subject myself, bit too technical for my brain!

Do you think it's important to be able to cite the facts of cases or is the rule of law that emerged sufficient in most parts? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey guys just a quick query, in a previous examiner's report their was criticism of several answers for failure to address the chance of gaining perpetual relief at the main cause of action, after an interlocutory relief has been granted. Is this simply a perpetual QT injunction or something else? What case law is relevant to this aspect of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Mshellster wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for the info Brian. Any tips or advice you have for dealing with the contract exam in general would also be seriously appreciated, having a tough time with the subject myself, bit too technical for my brain!

Do you think it's important to be able to cite the facts of cases or is the rule of law that emerged sufficient in most parts? Thanks

Contract is generally thought of as one of the easier ones. However, she does tend to mix topics in questions, particularly in problem questions which can pose issues if you want to cut down on topics. Although she does this, the question will generally point to the areas of law you are asked to discuss i.e. "X claims they were misrepresented", "Y claims there was a mistake", "Z claims there was no binding contract"

Generally knowing or citing the facts, comes well behind the rule of law in terms of importance and IMO only comes to the fore in relation to problem questions where the question is based around a seminal case. In that instance, you might wish to refer to the original case but you would need other authorities and not just rely on the one decision. Having said that, knowing some of the facts can often make cases easier to remember

Thanks for that. Ya I've heard contract is one of the easy ones but it must just be me, can't seem to retain any of what I learn on it, might be because I don't find it that interesting compared to some of the others! Either way I need to figure out some way of revising it that works. Kinda want to stick to the essays but wondering if there's anyway of predicting what bits are more likely to be essay questions than others? Wondering if there are any banker topics essay wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

fitzpapr wrote: »
    I'm studying for property using the 2008 Independent manual. At the end of most chapters the manual refers to the 2006 Bill and the potential changes this could introduce. Does anyone know if the Bill was enacted as it was or did the 2009 Act diverge from it at all?

If anyone has a link to a summary of the 2009 that'd be great!

The Act and explanatory memo are readily available on-line, make sure you have double-sided printing because they make a big document together.
    I did the Griffiths intensive revision course at the weekend, and their lecturer was absolutely 100% sure on the Act being fully examinable - you need to know it thoroughly in her opinion, right down to knowing the section numbers, which is no joke since there are 133 sections and so many topics. She agreed that the LawSoc are being most unfair in not having it both on the syllabus and not letting students bring in a clean Act. There is no logic in being able to bring in the Succession Act and not this one, it's now the law.
    As for a summary, some of the bigger Dublin law offices have a few notes on it, but really the explanatory memorandum is the best thing, it will give you ideas on context, public policy, etc.
    Her starting point is this isn't an academic law exam - the standard they want is what a practising solicitor would say, real up-to-date accurate law.
    Also, if you're covering succession, see what the examiner siad the last time about recent cases that should be mentioned, you'd be foolish to ignore. She thinks JA might simply move from being the examiner, to being the external examiner, so his views are still very sugnificant.

JC

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The Act and explanatory memo are readily available on-line, make sure you have double-sided printing because they make a big document together.
    I did the Griffiths intensive revision course at the weekend, and their lecturer was absolutely 100% sure on the Act being fully examinable - you need to know it thoroughly in her opinion, right down to knowing the section numbers, which is no joke since there are 133 sections and so many topics. She agreed that the LawSoc are being most unfair in not having it both on the syllabus and not letting students bring in a clean Act. There is no logic in being able to bring in the Succession Act and not this one, it's now the law.
    As for a summary, some of the bigger Dublin law offices have a few notes on it, but really the explanatory memorandum is the best thing, it will give you ideas on context, public policy, etc.
    Her starting point is this isn't an academic law exam - the standard they want is what a practising solicitor would say, real up-to-date accurate law.
    Also, if you're covering succession, see what the examiner siad the last time about recent cases that should be mentioned, you'd be foolish to ignore. She thinks JA might simply move from being the examiner, to being the external examiner, so his views are still very sugnificant.

JC

Thanks for that heads up on the 2009 Act.. We really couldnt be sitting this exam at a worse time.. :( Did the lecturer give any list of topics she thought might be up?

Did you find the course worthwhile?

I definately agree with Dandelion6.. wouldnt advise staying up late studying.. Id read over stuff til maybe 11 but thats it.. Sat contract last oct and stayed up til 3 goin over stuff,ridiculous i know.. next day i thought i was as bright as a button but when i got the paper in front of me couldnt get my head around the questons,my head just wasnt clear.. by some miracle i got 50% but id never recommend doin the late thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JMGal

Hey Folks !

Its made me feel a lot better reading back over the past few pages - Im not the only one panicking ! Im sitting four, Property, Contract, Tort and Constitutional, for the first time and I am terrified ! Just wondering if there are any tips flying around yet regarding question predictions ??

could anyone recommend the bare essentials needed to pass company? only starting it today, madness i know but ill give it a go anyway, just need a revised syllabus from someone with a lot less topics.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Amre17 - it was definitely worthwhile, but she spent the best part of an hour (out of six) introducing the course, and promised a lot for 'we'll discuss later on' and hadn't a hope of getting to the number of things she put off to later. She spent a very long time on the new Act, basically going through the explanatory memo but pointing out the bigger changes. I had already done that myself but I would not be as good as she was to spot the biggest issues.

Other than that - she felt that property rights of cohabiting couples might be hot because JA did an article on it a while back, adverse possession based maybe on Pat Kenny's fact pattern and in light of the Grand Chamber ruling on Pye v Graham; the good ol' lease/license distinction, the role of the PRA because this Act has added a few bits to it and compulsory registration has recently been extended to most of the country - all necessary info on their website, Settled Land and how the new Act has affected it, restrictive covenants and Ml Flatley's helicopter, succession as per usual. She doled out a grid but it wasn't really definitive in relation to any pattern of questions.

It is very clear from the examiner's feedback that they want to see references to the newer cases in every area, so if your textbook is a bit out-of-date or your degree ditto (like mine) you need to be using bailii.org a lot. She felt that Wylie's new book on the new act is so recent you won't be expected to refer to it - the examiner won't have bought it let alone read it ;-) Best of luck to you.

JC

• Advertisement

JC - Many many thanks for that.. The very best of luck to you with the exams!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement