Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BlueSkinny

im sitting const on the 23rd !!

ive decided the course is just too large to cover everything in revision!
    im doin

interpretation
    the president
    the AG
    Separation of Powers
    Due course of law
    personal rights
    equality
    property rights
    freedom of expression
    family and education
    and maybe Judical Review!

am I crazy in thinking that there is definetly a good chance I can get five decent questions out of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aimee34

Cheers for the help on the EU Leg!

Oh and for people who are asking about handing in Legislation on the day, you def can, unless anything has changed from the last sitting which I doubt. You might not get it back until maybe 45 mins into the exam but for the few mins you'll use it that shouldnt be a prob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Beeinmybonnet

BlueSkinny wrote: »
    im sitting const on the 23rd !!

ive decided the course is just too large to cover everything in revision!
    im doin

interpretation
    the president
    the AG
    Separation of Powers
    Due course of law
    personal rights
    equality
    property rights
    freedom of expression
    family and education
    and maybe Judical Review!

am I crazy in thinking that there is definetly a good chance I can get five decent questions out of that ?

I'm in the same boat as you. It's my last exam and I'm finding it really tough - it's a colossal course to get through.

When I took the Constitutional course last year I was thinking exactly the same thing. It helped me to look on it like a Law-Philosophy hybrid course: it draws the entire perimeter for law in Ireland so, of course, is as big as it gets.

Throw away the idea that there is a 'right answer', focus on the way in which you build yor argument and, in preparation, give yourself enough straw to build bricks in the exam.

I know, I know, pretentious right? Philosophers sound like arrogant feckers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

To anyone who is not sure whether to get the new version of blackstones legislation for the EU exam- DEFINITELY BUY IT. I have it and the consolidated version of the Lisbon treaty is at the back. For a lot of these exams eg succession law in property law, it is possible to do the exam and just remember what the relevant legislative provisions are. However the legislation is vital in EU, for example, you can practically answer a whole question on the EU Insitutions based on the relevant provisions which outline appointment/removal/criteria and so on. Plus regulations etc which are hard to remember are all contained in this book.

Secondly to the person who went to the EU revision course at Griffith and found the lecturer didnt explain what Lisbon is about. She did, maybe you just didnt pick up on it. Lisbon is really about making the institutions more efficient due to the enlargement of the EU, the second aim of it is to make it more democractic (by increasing the Parliament's powers) this is because of increased criticism from Member States that the EU was really a law onto itself. To understand this concept simply compare it to out national legislation-we vote what political parties represent us whereas there is not that option in the EU. Virtually most of the changes in Lisbon concern the increase of the European Parliament's powers which acts as a control on the exercise of the rest of the institution's powers.

Hope this helps, best of luck everyone (I know i'll need it!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 UL GRAD

Hi, just wondering if someone could post Oct 2009 Tort exam topics that came up..dnt have oct paper or report,cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

sminxj wrote: »
    To anyone who is not sure whether to get the new version of blackstones legislation for the EU exam- DEFINITELY BUY IT. I have it and the consolidated version of the Lisbon treaty is at the back. For a lot of these exams eg succession law in property law, it is possible to do the exam and just remember what the relevant legislative provisions are. However the legislation is vital in EU, for example, you can practically answer a whole question on the EU Insitutions based on the relevant provisions which outline appointment/removal/criteria and so on. Plus regulations etc which are hard to remember are all contained in this book.

Secondly to the person who went to the EU revision course at Griffith and found the lecturer didnt explain what Lisbon is about. She did, maybe you just didnt pick up on it. Lisbon is really about making the institutions more efficient due to the enlargement of the EU, the second aim of it is to make it more democractic (by increasing the Parliament's powers) this is because of increased criticism from Member States that the EU was really a law onto itself. To understand this concept simply compare it to out national legislation-we vote what political parties represent us whereas there is not that option in the EU. Virtually most of the changes in Lisbon concern the increase of the European Parliament's powers which acts as a control on the exercise of the rest of the institution's powers.

Hope this helps, best of luck everyone (I know i'll need it!!)

How much is the new blackstones eu legislation book? And where can you get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 slatts09

Hi was just wondering if anyone has any advice on company law.
    Im really struggling with the vastness of the subject and feel like im shooting myself in the foot by avoding corporate borrowings at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

slatts09 wrote: »
    Im really struggling with the vastness of the subject and feel like im shooting myself in the foot by avoding corporate borrowings at all costs.

I'd certainly have liquidation, examinership, recievership and winding up covered inside out along with all of directors - probably get 4 qs out of that alone

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

legallad wrote: »
    How much is the new blackstones eu legislation book? And where can you get it?

Waterstones on Dawson St have em, bout 25 I think maybe less actually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

UL GRAD wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if someone could post Oct 2009 Tort exam topics that came up..dnt have oct paper or report,cheers

Hi there, the October '09 Tort paper featured the following:
    1. Vic liab - Essay
    2. Defamation - PQ
    3. Damages - Essay
    4. Causation - PQ
    5. Medical negligence - PQ
    6. Trespass to the Person (Intent) - Essay
    7. Passing Off - PQ
    8. Liability for Defective Products - PQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UL GRAD

McLawin wrote: »
    Hi there, the October '09 Tort paper featured the following:
    1. Vic liab - Essay
    2. Defamation - PQ
    3. Damages - Essay
    4. Causation - PQ
    5. Medical negligence - PQ
    6. Trespass to the Person (Intent) - Essay
    7. Passing Off - PQ
    8. Liability for Defective Products - PQ

Thanks a mill, appreciate that!

slatts09 wrote: »

Hey Slatts, Corporate Borrowings is the second most popular exam question for Company Law next to Director's Duties. Do with that what you will. Next comes Corporate Personality with Share Transfer, Winding Up and Restriction & Disqualification of Directors following close behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

I got mine on bookdepository website and it cost 14e with free p&p

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

sminxj wrote: »
    Secondly to the person who went to the EU revision course at Griffith and found the lecturer didnt explain what Lisbon is about. She did, maybe you just didnt pick up on it. (I know i'll need it!!)

The amount of grief I've got for having an opinion on that course is shocking. I 'got it' just fine sminxj.... i just didn't like the approach to the revision course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Could someone possibly list out the topics that came up for Equity exam in Oct 2009? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Equity last October was:

Automatic trusts/cypres
    Specific Performance
    Charitable trusts
    Mareva
    Satisfaction/DMC/reftification
    Undue Influence
    Objects and certanties
    Estoppel

Tough enough exam in parts. Hopefully this one will be ok!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Thanks man, good win last night eh!

Just another question re defamation act for tort. Under s.11 re multiple publications now only amounting to one cause of action, am I right in thinking that this gets rid of the rule in speight regarding the original publishers being liable for republication or is it something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 westham_irish

Anyone know the dates for the autumn fe1s? or even when they will be released. Im finishing up my law degree in may and want to start straight into them. Will i have enough time to go over everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone know the dates for the autumn fe1s? or even when they will be released. Im finishing up my law degree in may and want to start straight into them. Will i have enough time to go over everything?

Not too sure of the dates. Im doing them now for the first time, only completed my degree last may. SERIOUSLY regret not studying for my FE1s over the summer. I felt as if i wouldnt have enough time to take a (much deserved) break after my finals and study aswell. If you choose your subjects wisely you'll have ample time for a rest and for study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Generally last week Sept/first week Oct

I finished my law degree last May and didn't start into them til mid-June and only heavily in late August and I was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 30 westham_irish

Hogzy wrote: »
    Not too sure of the dates. Im doing them now for the first time, only completed my degree last may. SERIOUSLY regret not studying for my FE1s over the summer. I felt as if i wouldnt have enough time to take a (much deserved) break after my finals and study aswell. If you choose your subjects wisely you'll have ample time for a rest and for study.

I was thinking of just doing the subjects im doing at the moment for it and then after finals in may do the summer prep course in griffith to keep me going. The thoughts of no big summer break killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I was thinking of just doing the subjects im doing at the moment for it and then after finals in may do the summer prep course in griffith to keep me going. The thoughts of no big summer break killing me.

Well its up to you. Remember though you are only young once and this could be the last summer you have off for the rest of your life! ;)

If it were me id attempt them at least just for a feel of what they are like. Constitutional, EU and Tort are the largest subjects so id wouldnt do more than one of these if you plan on having a 'fun' summer aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Amigone wrote: »
    The amount of grief I've got for having an opinion on that course is shocking. I 'got it' just fine sminxj.... i just didn't like the approach to the revision course.

Thats great that you ""got it just fine"". Clearly everyone has their own opinion- merely trying to assist. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Legal Exec

€50 for the Manuals, €80 Combined Companies Acts, €10 Blackstones.

Griffith 2009 Constitutional, Contract or Equity.

All with free Past Papers.

Please reply to legaladvice@gmail.com or text/call 08 300 400 76 or 01
    44 0 99 56.

Money can be lodged to any BOI, AIB, PTSB.

Next Day Delivery by Expresspost Track and Trace or meet up in Dublin.

P.S. Check with the Law Soc re Blackstones & the Company Law Act (I have Howath Bastow Charleton)

Le Meas,

Dara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

well the pressure is on, im gettin really stuck on mortgages its reckin my head and not gettin round it at all, has anyone any idea or notion what line mortgages cud takin on the paper if it appears??? ie - specific areas???please help, sinkin in notes and drownin in coffee, ROLL ON APRIL! best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

One week left and I'm starting to go into panic mode at this point! Haven't done them before and whatever ability I had at retaining information in college seems to have disappeared long ago. Any good study techniques/tips out there that people know of?

Feeling very overwhelmed about the amount of material I have to revise and having not covered any past exam papers yet:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

Becky55 wrote: »
    well the pressure is on, im gettin really stuck on mortgages its reckin my head and not gettin round it at all, has anyone any idea or notion what line mortgages cud takin on the paper if it appears??? ie - specific areas???please help, sinkin in notes and drownin in coffee, ROLL ON APRIL! best of luck to all!

I'm doing Property as well and Morgages are one of the last topics I've yet to have a stab at (Easements and Trusts being the others). I can't imagine the examiner could ask us about the new provisions (brought in by the 2009 Act) on powers of mortgagees because they are hugely changed. So really we ought to expect Judgment Mortgages this time around? But they came up on the last paper. Ugh, it doesn't half bake your head!

Also has anyone else got their heads around Trusts yet? And what do we do with the Settled Land Acts?

I hope study is going well with you all. Can anyone tell me whether the Charities Act 2009 is now in force for the purposes of the Equity exam? Google tells me that it is to come into force gradually and might take as long as two years but I can't find any reliable information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quinner360

Hey, does anyone know where i could get a constitutional exam grid or some good info/notes on the freedom of expression, topic is driving me mad!
    Help would be appreciated...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement