Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Mshellster wrote: »
    One week left and I'm starting to go into panic mode at this point! Haven't done them before and whatever ability I had at retaining information in college seems to have disappeared long ago. Any good study techniques/tips out there that people know of?

Feeling very overwhelmed about the amount of material I have to revise and having not covered any past exam papers yet:eek:

There are a few techniques but most are hard to apply in such a large scale. A few examples are: 1) picture each room in your house for a different topic, go into that room and place a case/issue with a certain item in that room 2) journey method; apply the same principles but associate the cases with different shops/landmarks in a journey eg all the shops along shop street in galway 3) Peg method, you have a grid of different pictures which always stay constant you match a picture or word that you asssociate with a case with that specific picture on the grid eg the first image on the grid is a teacup and your case is grobbelar in defamation in tort, so bruce grobbelar the plaintiff was a goalkeeper suspected of match fixing so picture him throwing money into a teacup 4) probably the quickest when you have a group of cases together, i usuallly make up a dirty rhyme using the first letter of each case, its useful for remembering lists of things!

The reason 1 -3 above work is because you are utilising the 2 sides of your brain forming a picture in your mind and making an association. I have lists of things from about a year ago that i can still remember, however all bar 4 take some time so i would say that is your best bet for now.

RE the nerves youre not the only one, i think ive even started dreaming of fe1s, and you never think you have enough done but you will suprise yourself with what you can remember in an exam situation! Also definitely have a look at the exam papers, figuring out what the question is about is a common error for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

quinner360 wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know where i could get a constitutional exam grid or some good info/notes on the freedom of expression, topic is driving me mad!
    Help would be appreciated...

Google fe1 study groups and the grid should be in the files section.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Does anyone know philip burkes predictions for the equity exam this sitting??

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

legallad wrote: »
    There are a few techniques but most are hard to apply in such a large scale. A few examples are: 1) picture each room in your house for a different topic, go into that room and place a case/issue with a certain item in that room 2) journey method; apply the same principles but associate the cases with different shops/landmarks in a journey eg all the shops along shop street in galway 3) Peg method, you have a grid of different pictures which always stay constant you match a picture or word that you asssociate with a case with that specific picture on the grid eg the first image on the grid is a teacup and your case is grobbelar in defamation in tort, so bruce grobbelar the plaintiff was a goalkeeper suspected of match fixing so picture him throwing money into a teacup 4) probably the quickest when you have a group of cases together, i usuallly make up a dirty rhyme using the first letter of each case, its useful for remembering lists of things!

The reason 1 -3 above work is because you are utilising the 2 sides of your brain forming a picture in your mind and making an association. I have lists of things from about a year ago that i can still remember, however all bar 4 take some time so i would say that is your best bet for now.

RE the nerves youre not the only one, i think ive even started dreaming of fe1s, and you never think you have enough done but you will suprise yourself with what you can remember in an exam situation! Also definitely have a look at the exam papers, figuring out what the question is about is a common error for many people.

Thanks for advice! Trying to start on some exam questions now (hopefully I'm not to late in the game at it) just to familarise myself with them but they can be quite daunting! I feel like I will end up having a very general knowledge of most things but not enough to write halfway detailed answers...roll on April!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

I hope study is going well with you all. Can anyone tell me whether the Charities Act 2009 is now in force for the purposes of the Equity exam? Google tells me that it is to come into force gradually and might take as long as two years but I can't find any reliable information.

I'm fairly sure none of the relevant bits have been introduced yet by S.I. so I assume you would just mention the changes it will bring about where relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 femstar123

Hi All,

i see i'm not d only one in panicky mode so i'll get to it.
    I've got d 2008 independent manual for criminal and i was wondering what changes in caselaw or statue, if any, hv come into force in relation to any of the relevant topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

quinner360 wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know where i could get a constitutional exam grid or some good info/notes on the freedom of expression, topic is driving me mad!
    Help would be appreciated...

Search back through this thread...there is a link way back that may help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

I hope study is going well with you all. Can anyone tell me whether the Charities Act 2009 is now in force for the purposes of the Equity exam? Google tells me that it is to come into force gradually and might take as long as two years but I can't find any reliable information.

Sections 1,2,5,10 and 99 are in force since September 09. As far as I know the rest of the Act has not yet been commenced.

www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2009/B27036.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

Hi all, I've a quick question. Does anyone know when approaching the right to liberty in Constitutional law, is it better to cover select areas (e.g. bail) or a broad sketch outline? It's a substantial chapter in the couple of Constitutional books I'm working from but I haven't seen it feature prominently on past papers (or am I missing something?) Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thanks Mshellster & -aboutagirl-, Charities are sooo simple yet so frequently asked on the Equity paper. Its amazing to me how I kept ignoring it this 20% banker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Hi!! Just wondering about legislation in the exams, in particular the EU legislation, so can you use different colour highlighters? or do you have to stick to the same colour?? because im after using different colours without even realizing! also can you use tabs???

Thanks!! would really really appreciate any guidance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

Hey lalala, you can use different colour tabs and highlighters and even different colour pens for underlining. They're just more suspicious of anything written or inked onto the pages. Tabs are grand though. Sure my Companies Acts last session looked like a technicolour porcupine and it was no problem. :)

Regarding legislation in the exams, just be wary that they are very dubious of any writing - a friend of mine put in tabs and wrote the name on each one e.g. 'EC Treaty' '2004/38/EC' etc. They made her cut the tabs off!

Multi-Colours are great though - especially when you are re-visiting an Article.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 loulou23

Hey, charity trusts,resulting trusts,strong v bird ,maxims ,secret trusts some of the things which are suppose to be likely but hey who knows...good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

...The reason 1 -3 above work is because you are utilising the 2 sides of your brain forming a picture in your mind and making an association.... /QUOTE]

That's great advice. I would perhaps add to it - say things out loud, read while sitting, standing, lying down etc - the more different ways you process information in your brain the more easily it becomes embedded. There is actually a web server that creats anagrams here:
    http://wordsmith.org/anagram/
    If you're really hitting a mental block trying to remember a case name, have a go at plugging it into that server. I was finding it hard to remember Prasad v Wepruk - a Canadian case in tort in relation to the doctrine of scienter and a dog bite incident. Anytime I tried to bring the case to mind, it just wouldn't come, the names are too odd. So, the anagram server threw up 'reward ask pup' which makes the mental connection for me anyway. Here's the case if anyone wants to become an expert on scienter:
    http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/cases/caca2004carswellbc946.htm
    Sometimes a case itself helps - Partridge v Crittenden - contract, re selling birds, always look out for a lateral-thinking 'hook' to fix the case in your mind.

Best of luck to all here in the next two weeks, I'm starting with tort on thursday.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Laura1010

I'm looking through past questions on fmog and am hoping someone can help me with this one:

"Excise duty on imported alcoholic beverage is payable within a fornight of their delivery to a bonded warehouse in Ireland, whereas excise duty payable on domestically produced alcoholic beverages arises only a fornight after their delivery for resale to licensed premises or off-licences - what would your advice be?"

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the issue here that the excise duty is a charge having equivalent effect to a customs duty and not a tax as the charge is not applied in respect of domestic and imported goods at the same time?

Tks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

JCJCJC wrote: »

There is actually a web server that creats anagrams here:
    http://wordsmith.org/anagram/

If your going to use this do so at your own peril, iv just spent the last 15mins of valuable study time canvassing over various anagrams of my name.:D

Its a great website and IMO ill be using it for remembering my cases. Thanks legallad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

I think I looked at that question. Difficult like most EU questions! Pretty sure it's an internal taxation. It's not applied at the same time but in the end if the same monetary charge applies to both, it's unlikely to be a customs duty as it wouldn't protect domestic products. I'd say if you could come up with a similar description for the 'chargeable event' like the 'marketable stage' it might be a taxation.

Also it's not specifically a charge for crossing a border in respect of the imports.

On the other hand you could argue that requiring the domestic producers to pay later is an advantage and favours Irish products.

Arguable either way but probably not an equivalent to customs duty.

Open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BlueSkinny

Company on Friday guys!!!!

anyone have any last minute tips, would really be helpful at this point , would love to hear from someone

Hogzy wrote: »
    JCJCJC wrote: »

If your going to use this do so at your own peril, iv just spent the last 15mins of valuable study time canvassing over various anagrams of my name.:D

Well Hogzy, the best of luck with remembering your own name then!:P

JC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

Does anyone have any tips/reassurance for Tort on thursday...gettn mental images of a paper full of all the topics i didnt cover!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

I think I looked at that question. Difficult like most EU questions! Pretty sure it's an internal taxation. It's not applied at the same time but in the end if the same monetary charge applies to both, it's unlikely to be a customs duty as it wouldn't protect domestic products. I'd say if you could come up with a similar description for the 'chargeable event' like the 'marketable stage' it might be a taxation.

Also it's not specifically a charge for crossing a border in respect of the imports.

On the other hand you could argue that requiring the domestic producers to pay later is an advantage and favours Irish products.

Arguable either way but probably not an equivalent to customs duty.

Open to correction.

I'm pretty sure there's a case on this. It's definitely Commission v Ireland (I think it's in Craig & DeBurca) - I can't remember when it was or find it online.

Anyway the Irish government put an excise duty on (alcohol?) but gave national producers a two week holiday on payments and the Court found it was contrary to Art 110(1) (ex 90(1)) as constituting direct discrimination.

Hope that points you in the right direction

lucilou wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips/reassurance for Tort on thursday...gettn mental images of a paper full of all the topics i didnt cover!!!!:(

Well, I'm betting the farm on the hottest tips the tutor in Griffiths gave -

Defamation - (the new Act makes it red-hot really)
    Nuisance or Rylands and Fletcher
    Occupier's liability
    Negligent misstatement

After those hot tips, he thought Employer's liability, Nervous shock, trespass, parties to a tort action were second favourites. he got six out of eight right in Oct 2009. He also mentioned that animal torts might come up and talked about dogs, horses etc. In relation to that, maybe no harm to note there was a big case last year about liability for horses that ran onto the road and caused serious injury:
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2009/H2.html

You would benefit from seeing the examiner's reports, they indicate clearly what sort of answer he wants, and in general I think he wants a good mix of statute law and case law applied closely to the fact matrix, not just all the common law on any given issue.

My tongue is hangin' down my chest for a pint at this stage, I think I'll break out tomorrow night, I've St Pat's Day to recover before thursday's horrors.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just wondering how many people are keeping their fingers crossed for a question on democratic deficit coming up? i have a lovely essay prepared and i did an essay in my undergrad on it. Treaties have quite a bit in them aswell relating to the topic.
    It seems really obvious to come up but then again with this new EU examiner he likes to catch people out!

[QUOTE=r14;64923404...I can't remember when it was or find it online....

[/QUOTE]

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:61979J0055:EN:HTML

I wish EU law was as easy to understand as search engines. Or lawnmower engines. Or rocket science for that matter.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

Thanks JC iv most of them covered...I havent got time for liability for animals??? think ill have a quick read just in case....there hasnt been anything on Rylands in years? I think nuisance will be up with nervous shock and neg mis def...

Panic setting in......:eek:

Thanks JC iv most of them covered...I havent got time for liability for animals??? think ill have a quick read just in case....there hasnt been anything on Rylands in years? I think nuisance will be up with nervous shock and neg mis def...

Panic setting in......:eek:

I read somewhere in the past few days (Transco case maybe?) that the rule in Rylands hasn't on its own succeeded for any plaintiff in the UK since WW2, which makes it a pretty obsolete rule, but that in itself could be an essay subject imho - Australia has abandoned it and rolled it up with nuisance, so maybe a question on the lines of critically discuss the rule...? I don't know, your guess is as good or better than mine, Thursday is my maiden voyage onto the stormy seas of the Fe1s.
    I don't know why the Griffiths' man was so keen on animal torts, but he seems to be a very shrewd judge of the process, I haven't time either to re-digest McMahon & Binchy cover-to-cover so I'm taking a 'greatest hits of tort law' approach, basically all we need is the magic 51%, not honours and fanfares at this stage.

Keep the panic down. Go for a long walk and a short drink.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

hey all, just after gettin the ec blackstones legislation 2009/2010, is this the right one or am i missing somethin, ie another one was brought out again after Lisbon??? the table of equivalence at the back is what we shud be lookin at in relation to updated article numbers etc?? any help wud be appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Also slightly panicking a bit! Seem to have left everything to the last minute and having that usual pre-exam dread that I won't remember anything on the morning of the exam!! And I seem to have about 10 topics left to do for tort!! To add to the list of tips Product liability was also mentioned.

• Advertisement

Becky55 wrote: »
    hey all, just after gettin the ec blackstones legislation 2009/2010, is this the right one or am i missing somethin, ie another one was brought out again after Lisbon??? the table of equivalence at the back is what we shud be lookin at in relation to updated article numbers etc?? any help wud be appreciated,

Yes, it's the right one, it fits under 'any edition of' per the lawsoc's specs. Lisbon combined the TEU and TFEU as far as I understand it. If you know the old numbers you're right about the equivalences, apart from repealed provisions. I wish I knew any of then, they go straight through my head without sticking. I'll be using the index and the highlighters a lot!!

JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement