Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Ruby83 wrote: »
    To add to the list of tips Product liability was also mentioned.

True, but it didn't make his hot list of eight at the end of his handout.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

JCJCJC wrote: »
    True, but it didn't make his hot list of eight at the end of his handout.

JC

What handout??!!! That doesn't seem to be posted on the website!! I'm a distance learner..Did he give that out in class??

What handout??!!! That doesn't seem to be posted on the website!! I'm a distance learner..Did he give that out in class??

Better than being a slow learner like me ;-). The man who did the G's intensive revision course gave out a handout, 8 pages, the heading on the first page is 'EXAM FORM GUIDE', on the last page he listed his predictions for Oct 08 - he got 6/8 and then the ones I've already posted for April 10 (ie March). I haven't gone into Griffith's online stuff (yet) I'm all out to cope with what's in front of me as it is.
    JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Becky55 wrote: »
    hey all, just after gettin the ec blackstones legislation 2009/2010, is this the right one or am i missing somethin, ie another one was brought out again after Lisbon??? the table of equivalence at the back is what we shud be lookin at in relation to updated article numbers etc?? any help wud be appreciated,

No that's the most up to date version of Blackstones, which is fairly annoying because the TEU isn't in it, making the institutions a lot more difficult than in previous exams. My thinking is that he'll avoid asking a direct institutions question like in other exams because of this, so instead of a "tell me all about the Euro. Court of Justice" the question will be more along the lines of "discuss how Lisbon changes the institutional make-up of the EU" which would require less nitty gritty specifics that you could usually rely on Blackstones to help you with.

For the second half of the course, all the internal market, fundamental freedoms and competition law, the examiner has said you can just use the old Article numbers as they stand in Blackstones (or if you want to you can 'convert' them using the conversion chart at the back showing the new TFEU numbering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Becky55

thanks JC and Jicked really appreciate it, best of luck with exams

• Advertisement

Anyone know what is the situation in relation to car parking around Neptune Stadium in Cork?

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sminxj

Jicked wrote: »
    No that's the most up to date version of Blackstones, which is fairly annoying because the TEU isn't in it, making the institutions a lot more difficult than in previous exams. My thinking is that he'll avoid asking a direct institutions question like in other exams because of this, so instead of a "tell me all about the Euro. Court of Justice" the question will be more along the lines of "discuss how Lisbon changes the institutional make-up of the EU" which would require less nitty gritty specifics that you could usually rely on Blackstones to help you with.

For the second half of the course, all the internal market, fundamental freedoms and competition law, the examiner has said you can just use the old Article numbers as they stand in Blackstones (or if you want to you can 'convert' them using the conversion chart at the back showing the new TFEU numbering)

Are you sure about this? Because I have the 2009-2010 and the consolidated versions of the TUE and the TFEU are both at the back before the table of equivalences. Griffith have also checked this out too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone know what is the situation in relation to car parking around Neptune Stadium in Cork?

JC

As far as i know there is a small car park outside the stadium but its tiny and might only be reserved for invigilators and other 'officials', there is only about 7 spaces so even if they are free for all its doubtful you'll get them. Think on Street parking is the only option and i think its disk parking so probably a 2hr limit which is pushing it for a 3hr exam :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BlueSkinny

does anyone know the tip/predictions for Company this sitting ??

sminxj wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? Because I have the 2009-2010 and the consolidated versions of the TUE and the TFEU are both at the back before the table of equivalences. Griffith have also checked this out too?

I am depending and relying totally on Griffiths' version of events - their EU manual at p7 item 51 says:

" as a result of the Lisbon Treaty, the EC treaty will be re-named as "The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union" while the TEU will keep its present name. Accordingly, ...the treaties which will be referred to are the TFEU and the LTEU (ie the TEU post-Lisbon)."

I will be putting down Article 100 TEU or Article 100 TFEU as they appear in Blackstones and to hell with it after that.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 05008441

sminxj wrote: »

Yeah, thanks for that, Lisbon Treaties ARE at the BACK of Blackstones 2009-2010 edition.

I will be putting down Article 100 TEU or Article 100 TFEU as they appear in Blackstones and to hell with it after that.

JC

What was the 'EC' Treaty has been replaced by the 'TFEU'. The 'TEU' hasn't changed names.

So Art 39 EC on the free movement of workers is now Art 45 TFEU on the free movement of workers.

For sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

What was the 'EC' Treaty has been replaced by the 'TFEU'. The 'TEU' hasn't changed names.

So Art 39 EC on the free movement of workers is now Art 45 TFEU on the free movement of workers.

For sure.

It's not quite that simple. Some Articles that were in old TEU are now included in the TFEU and and some EC Articles are in new TEU.

If people are really worried about this you can buy a copy of the new consolidated treaties from the Commission Offices at European House on Dawson Street (think it's about 50 quid). Alternatively you could beg them and they might consider giving you one for free - I doubt they need them much after Lisbon.

It's just a copy of the OJ where the Treaties are published so I doubt the Law Society could have a problem with bringing it in - though they are the Law Society so it's prob best to clear it with them in advance.

Yeah, you're right there r14. Some parts have been moved around. I was just affirming the basic principle:

EC => TFEU
    TEU => TEU

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Did product liability not come up in Oct? Would he put it up again so soon?
    The only topics i have left out are passing off, public auth liability and br of statutory duty - and barely covered product liab due to it being on the Oct paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

Product liability has come up the past 4 or 5 papers....its one of the popular topics thats always examined and usually q8 on the paper...Im leaving out passing off,pub auth liability,i havent really covered duty of casre causation in much detail full q doesnt really come up and I think a q came up last time...I wonder will limitations be up thats another possible area?? I dont think med neg will be up but neg mistatment is a possibility so prof neg will be in that...

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Laura1010

Thanks Paulanthony, R14 and JC, much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

page1 wrote: »
    Did product liability not come up in Oct? Would he put it up again so soon?
    The only topics i have left out are passing off, public auth liability and br of statutory duty - and barely covered product liab due to it being on the Oct paper.

Im leaving it out too despite it being a frequent question. Leaving out passing off, defective premises, public authority liability and have a very sketchy knowledge of caustion and duty of care.

lucilou wrote: »
    Product liability has come up the past 4 or 5 papers....its one of the popular topics thats always examined and usually q8 on the paper...Im leaving out passing off,pub auth liability,i havent really covered duty of casre causation in much detail full q doesnt really come up and I think a q came up last time...I wonder will limitations be up thats another possible area?? I dont think med neg will be up but neg mistatment is a possibility so prof neg will be in that...

:confused:

limitations can crop up frequently in some form or another eg if they ask are there any procedual barriers in a problem questions so maybe just learn the periods which wont take too long. Res ipsa hasnt come up in a while s thats a possibility and im definitely doing neg misstatement. I think the GC tips that JC gave look like good possibilities but will can speculate all night and still be wrong!

On a side note im very tired, hungry, muddled and nervous.....a lethal combination!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

legallad wrote: »
    limitations can crop up frequently in some form or another eg if they ask are there any procedual barriers in a problem questions so maybe just learn the periods which wont take too long. Res ipsa hasnt come up in a while s thats a possibility and im definitely doing neg misstatement. I think the GC tips that JC gave look like good possibilities but will can speculate all night and still be wrong!

On a side note im very tired, hungry, muddled and nervous.....a lethal combination!!! :o

Join the club! I have this dread that nothing is gonna come back to me! I'm also leaving out defective products. I just don't like it. Have also left out the passing off chapter in the Griffith manual (ie detinue, conversion) because I just don't have time left and would prefer to read bk over the topics I've done. I'm afraid that there will be a question on something obscure or even something like deceased parties to a tort action. Speculation getting me no where I think..just need to suck it up and keep the head down til Thursday at 12:30!! And then start again for contract....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 slatts09

i am under alot of pressure for company fri and dont think its possible to make it up to dublin thurs to hand in company acts book.Is there any way they will let me bring it in with me fri, the morn of the exam

Join the club! I have this dread that nothing is gonna come back to me! I'm also leaving out defective products. I just don't like it. Have also left out the passing off chapter in the Griffith manual (ie detinue, conversion) because I just don't have time left and would prefer to read bk over the topics I've done. I'm afraid that there will be a question on something obscure or even something like deceased parties to a tort action. Speculation getting me no where I think..just need to suck it up and keep the head down til Thursday at 12:30!! And then start again for contract....

I thought that back in the last sitting, i did 4 in one week and 5 in total, was in a hotel room for 7 days (complete nightmare) and i was certain i would remember nothing due to the close proximity of the exams and exhaustion but trust me if you have done the work you will remember it, despite feeling like you will remember nothing at the moment!

slatts09 wrote: »
    i am under alot of pressure for company fri and dont think its possible to make it up to dublin thurs to hand in company acts book.Is there any way they will let me bring it in with me fri, the morn of the exam

Not if you havent given it in the day before. But if you hand it in on the morning of the exam they will give it to you after about 30-45 minutes so that will still leave over two hours with it so its not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

I know we could speculate all night and reassure ourselves....but it can't diversify that much from the norm....Im gona be flat out for constitutional on tues then....im officially free tues at 12.30 cant come fast enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

Hi everyone,

Im going slowly insane trying to study EU! Are there are any areas
    that can "safely" be left out? I am trying to cover the following
    areas:-

1. Institutions.
    2. Sources of EU Law.
    3. Application of Community Law (i.e., Direct effect/supremacy).
    4. Procedures - (preliminary reference, enforcement, annulment)
    5. FMOG
    6. FMOW/FOE/Citizenship.
    7. Equality.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether the above topics will get
    me through? Am I making a big mistake by leaving out Competition
    Law??

This course is so huge, its impossible to cover everything. Any advice/
    suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

Hi mirwin, I did EU last October so I don't know what the tips or hints are from the revision Griffith or Independent tutors are this time around but I didn't cover Competition at all in my revision because I simply ran out of time. To be honest if you have a good knowledge of freedoms and have covered the others of your list too then I think it's possible to get through. I managed to pass last year without answering a single question on Competition Law or the Freedoms. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Mirwin im the same as you except im yet to decide on whether ill cover equality OR the Sources. Im kind of leaning towards the Sources though as they seem to have a heavier appearance on the paper than Equality does.

Iv Done

Institutions
    Direct Effect/Supremacy/Member State Liability
    Procedures Before EU Courts
    FMOG
    FMOW
    FOE/FTPS
    Citizenship

And im deciding between Sources/Equality

Im leaving out Competition law as it HUGE and dont have enough time to cover it. TBH I cant see more than 5 questions being asked on what i have studied, But then again there are 8 questions. I cant see a full question on equality tbh but i can see a full question on Competition law as its so big.

Absolutely bricking it for this exam

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Hey, if we were asked a question of the effect of lisbon on fun rights, do you think its necessary to go into detail on acts which can be challenged on the basis of fun rights, or is that more of a development of the area since inception question??

Const and eu.... Losing my mind... I can't wait for the week of sleeping I'm goin to do after these hell exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

Thanks for replies. This is my last exam and by far the worst one... So much to cover. Best of luck to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Amigone wrote: »
    Hey, if we were asked a question of the effect of lisbon on fun rights, do you think its necessary to go into detail on acts which can be challenged on the basis of fun rights, or is that more of a development of the area since inception question??

Const and eu.... Losing my mind... I can't wait for the week of sleeping I'm goin to do after these hell exams.

A nice case for you all in this regard - Kucukdeveci - it found that in some instances Directives implementing General Prinicples can have horizontal direct effect.

From a fundamental rights pov at para 22 it held that the Charter has retroactive effect and applies to cases initiated before Lisbon entered into force.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement