Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

EU
    Jesus i found the problem questions tough, just identifying the issues took me nearly 10mins, Had to read it over and over and over again! Dont think i passed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Hogzy wrote: »
    EU
    Jesus i found the problem questions tough, just identifying the issues took me nearly 10mins, Had to read it over and over and over again! Dont think i passed though!

I know..The EU law paper takes so long to just read.. Never mind identify the issues, apply the law and put it all down on paper!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

EU was pretty fair I thought. The problem questions are far too long to finish in 30mins (between that and a few typos you wonder how much effort these guys put into the exams, a bit disheartening considering they cost the guts of a grand and so much of your time that they seem to not put mucheffort in to it) but at least they weren't on annoying little details. The essay questions were pretty easy in the sense he let you just write on a topic and not try to freak you out by asking a tiny area of the law in the area. It really is a gruelling 3 hours though!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

agree with u on the problems being way too long and because there was 2/3 parts to each of them, found myself having to finish them with bullet points in order to move on to the next q so that i could attempt 5qs, was definately the most greulling of all the FE1S, in terms of scope and what is being asked of you in the exam hall, i found it to be the most challenging of them all

2months of limbo!

This has probably been asked millions of times on here but when are the results released?

• Advertisement

around first week of june i think

Paul1979 wrote: »
    around first week of june i think

Strange, thats the time griffith start their FE1 course im sure.

Yeh think Griffith start back first week in June and results are usually out first two weeks or so in June... Dreading them already and studying over the Summer!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Just wondering whether there have been any recent cases of significance that one would want to know for criminal law on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

I agree with others here who have noted that the problem questions are far too long to answer in 30 mins...I found i had to abandon the end of a question to try and make sure i got a fifth one done...luckily i got a fifth question and was able to go back and finish the problem question.
    Apart from the pretty obscure full question on transparency i thought it was fair enough...although i didn't even get time to read 3 of the questions...have to say that they finally got the case note question right, finally some cases that people would recognise rather than some obscure case that the examiner found when he went searching on google.
    Before this exam i had my 7 and although i think i probably did enough to pass, it's going to be a more nervous 2 months that i anticipated. I really feel that they need to cut down the length of the problem questions or give some extra time...i'm absolutely wrecked after doing it and my heart goes out to those who have to sit property tomorrow.

• Advertisement

i think everyones in the same boat as regards not answering the problems due to the lack of time, what the **** does the examiner expect from candidates, u would have to be some sort of legal ROBOT machine in order to read the paper fully/identify all issues/apply the law properly concisly and answer all 5 fully within 3 hours....impossible, wrecked after it going to somehow have to pick myself up and study tonight for tomrrow

also since they have changed the timetable to exam every day they could have at least put one exam in morn, and the next day put it on in afternoon or something

rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fe1exam

Thought EU was tough due to the length of it.

Could someone put down a break down of what each question was on?? Thanks, just wondering if I did the same as everyone else. Found citizenship difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

also since they have changed the timetable to exam every day they could have at least put one exam in morn, and the next day put it on in afternoon or something

rant over

The reason they have them spaced like this is because PPC I exams are on in the afternoon after the FE1s.

The only reason they changed the format of the FE1s was so they only had to rent the hall for 8 days instead of the previous 16.

r14 wrote: »
    The reason they have them spaced like this is because PPC I exams are on in the afternoon after the FE1s.

The only reason they changed the format of the FE1s was so they only had to rent the hall for 8 days instead of the previous 16.

yeah i was aware of the rent issue but didnt actually know ppc were in afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

yeah i was aware of the rent issue but didnt actually know ppc were in afternoon

plus even if they did have some of them on in the afternoon then thered be less time to prep for the exam the next morning. it has made them a lot more difficult though regardless of how much youve done before they start

Completely off topic but what are the PPC exams like? Actually i doubt anyone on this thread knows...yet :p

Think i might start a thread on it...

NO... I must study Criminal!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UL GRAD

Can someone put up topics that came up in eu exam today, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

Can anyone shed any light on the new provisions for Settled Lands....just in terms of the exam has the new Act changed much? I'm debating whether or not to revise it tonight and don't have much time to interpret the changes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fe1exam

UL GRAD wrote: »
    Can someone put up topics that came up in eu exam today, thanks

Yes please do!!I would really like to see what everyone else thought. Thanks!

Completely off topic but what are the PPC exams like? Actually i doubt anyone on this thread knows...yet :p

Think i might start a thread on it...

NO... I must study Criminal!!!! :mad:

Oh my God..Are you serious.. Not even ready to think bout them yet.. I've a few mates did them and all said they are nowhere near as bad as FE1s. Its the getting in thats the tricky bit!!!!! I think the fact that you are going to lectures and surrounded by people doing these exams in Blackhall should make it that bit easier..Studying on my own and very hard to motivate oneself!!!You many left to do Hogzy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Has anybody got any magic formulae for remembering the alphabet cases in succession law? I'm here looking at them in the total certainty that by 9.30am tomorrow they'll be completely gone from my head. I just cannot memorise irrational lists.

Thank God I'm finished tomorrow, tackled four this time, might be eight in September the way I'm feeling at present! I'll be having a pint in the White House in Limerick tomorrow evening from around 5.30 if anyone is interested in meeting up for a chat?

JC

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Has anybody got any magic formulae for remembering the alphabet cases in succession law? I'm here looking at them in the total certainty that by 9.30am tomorrow they'll be completely gone from my head. I just cannot memorise irrational lists.

Thank God I'm finished tomorrow, tackled four this time, might be eight in September the way I'm feeling at present! I'll be having a pint in the White House in Limerick tomorrow evening from around 5.30 if anyone is interested in meeting up for a chat?

JC

JC the only thing that works for me with cases is to put them all under headings and then learn them off .. Use the first letter of each case to make up some rhyme or sentence, usually funny ones or dirty ones are the easiest to remember!!! And they'll also make you smile! Its the only method that works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

coco13 wrote: »
    JC the only thing that works for me with cases is to put them all under headings and then learn them off .. Use the first letter of each case to make up some rhyme or sentence, usually funny ones or dirty ones are the easiest to remember!!! And they'll also make you smile! Its the only method that works for me.

+1

Nothing ingrains itself in the mind like a good dirty contraversial rhyme!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lougem

Jicked wrote: »
    EU was pretty fair I thought. The problem questions are far too long to finish in 30mins (between that and a few typos you wonder how much effort these guys put into the exams, a bit disheartening considering they cost the guts of a grand and so much of your time that they seem to not put mucheffort in to it) but at least they weren't on annoying little details. The essay questions were pretty easy in the sense he let you just write on a topic and not try to freak you out by asking a tiny area of the law in the area. It really is a gruelling 3 hours though!

I have to say I disagree with you about it being a fair paper. I couldn't even identify the issues in Qs 1, 2, and most of the citizenship Q. It was less predictable than other years. They seem to put quite a lot of effort into making the papers inaccessible, which must be their aim! The problem Qs are far too long, in fact even putting 5 essays into the exam is a bit pointless- wouldn't our abilities be just as evident with 4? (or any of them for that matter!) I find EU takes longer to study, has more in the course, and is generally much harder to understand than any of the other subjects I've done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mollydog

eu is hardest exam but easiest markes. oct 09 was a nightmare.based on previous exams i thought i would get about 40 but ended up getting 55. anyone know the pass rate for oct09?

coco13 wrote: »
    Oh my God..Are you serious.. Not even ready to think bout them yet.. I've a few mates did them and all said they are nowhere near as bad as FE1s. Its the getting in thats the tricky bit!!!!! I think the fact that you are going to lectures and surrounded by people doing these exams in Blackhall should make it that bit easier..Studying on my own and very hard to motivate oneself!!!You many left to do Hogzy?

Iv done Criminal, EU and Constitutional this sitting. Its my first sitting ever, Not too optimistic about passing them, EU was woeful for me!
    Im not too bothered tho, Im only out of college and so im young yet :P

Iv done Criminal, EU and Constitutional this sitting.

My god Hogsy, you just scared the living beeJazuz outta me. Criminal is next Monday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Strange, thats the time griffith start their FE1 course im sure.

Yep, we try to get them as co-ordinated as possible, but sometimes it is not feasible (like with the October exams and November course commencement). If we wait until people have their results and then the course time may only be 11-12 weeks - simply not enough. So to present the course in as thorough a way as possible, it has to start at a time when people don't actually know if they've passed or not. Then you have to factor in re-checks etc and by the time people really know if they've failed or not, we're half way into the course. Just the way it is.

My god Hogsy, you just scared the living beeJazuz outta me. Criminal is next Monday!!!

Haha, Sorry i meant to say im doing Criminal, EU and Const this sitting, iv done 2 iv criminal left! Just going over the defenses as we speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

I thought criminal was going to be the easiest of the four I'm doing but alas no! How in Gods name is it possible to learn all of the statutory provisions, numbers AND punishments for each of the million offences we have to know about! I seem to have a default 12 months imprisonment/1500 fine for all summary offences which is not the case!! Oh woe is me. Monday cannot come soon enough (Monday at 12:30 that is).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement