Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darkangel1986

thanks mclawin!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yes Automatism can be a full defence to Murder,

Not to be too technical here, but it is not a defence in the sense that a defence presumes a crime. Automatism negates volition and thus negates the presence of a crime (i.e. no actus reus). Denning in Bratty is clear enough on this point.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Lads im finding criminal fairly straight forward apart from ONE f-ing thing.

What is the difference between handling stolen property and possessing stolen property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 2ndtimer

Hogzy wrote: »
    Lads im finding criminal fairly straight forward apart from ONE f-ing thing.

What is the difference between handling stolen property and possessing stolen property?

'Handling' is essentially when you have it (subject to the intent provision) for the benefit of another s17, e.g storing a rake of dodgy dvds for your mate until he needs to sell them

'Possessing' is simply having it..e.g, keeping a watch for yourself you know to be nicked. s18

Crude description but thats it! Good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RachTheRage

I know this is slightly off topic but I know of an opening in a Dublin firm - it's reception work but they always promote internally, all trainees were once secretaries/legal execs/receptionists etc. I'm sure the money will be awful but if you're looking for a foot in the door PM me and i'll give you an email address to send a CV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Thinking some more about the property law exam over the weekend, it occurred to me that while the new Act didn't appear explicitly on the paper, neither did all the old stuff it repealed like tenure, De Donis Conditionabilis, Quia Emptores, Poynings Act, Deasy's Act etc. I wonder if it is a signal that the obsolete stuff is off the menu with this new examiner? If so, I would think that for anyone doing the paper in the autumn, a direct question on the new act would be increasing in likelihood, on the basis that by then anybody could reasonably be expected to have read it.

If anyone could scan, fax or even mail photocopies of the papers in Criminal, Constitutional, Equity and Company law, I have the other four scanned into text files, to exchange by email.

Best of luck to everybody doing the Criminal paper today.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

What did everyone think of criminal? Really liked the paper and it nice to finishe the exams on a high note. Pretty confident i got at least equity, contract and criminal so I am quite happy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Thinking some more about the property law exam over the weekend, it occurred to me that while the new Act didn't appear explicitly on the paper, neither did all the old stuff it repealed like tenure, De Donis Conditionabilis, Quia Emptores, Poynings Act, Deasy's Act etc. I wonder if it is a signal that the obsolete stuff is off the menu with this new examiner? If so, I would think that for anyone doing the paper in the autumn, a direct question on the new act would be increasing in likelihood, on the basis that by then anybody could reasonably be expected to have read it.

If anyone could scan, fax or even mail photocopies of the papers in Criminal, Constitutional, Equity and Company law, I have the other four scanned into text files, to exchange by email.

Best of luck to everybody doing the Criminal paper today.

JC

I'm going to do the Property exam in the Autumn. Sat it in the past but failed it as it's probably the most boring subject I've ever studied. I have the 2008 Griffith manual. Can anyone tell me what of that manual is still relevant and what is new on the course as I haven't kept track of the latest developments?

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

What did everyone think of criminal? Really liked the paper and it nice to finishe the exams on a high note. Pretty confident i got at least equity, contract and criminal so I am quite happy! :D

Ya I thought it was ok too. Totally ran outta time though so my last two questions are pretty bad I think. Ah well! Over for another couple of months now at least! Sleep time I think....

Horndawg wrote: »
    I'm going to do the Property exam in the Autumn. Sat it in the past but failed it as it's probably the most boring subject I've ever studied. I have the 2008 Griffith manual. Can anyone tell me what of that manual is still relevant and what is new on the course as I haven't kept track of the latest developments?

Thanks a mill!

I haven't got the 08 manual to go through - what you suggest would be quite a big job. I would advise you to study the new Act and its explanatory memorandum first of all, and you'll pick up from that how much has changed. You'll find the old common law rules are all gone - Tulk v Moxhay, Wheeldon & Burrows etc, so red-pencil those parts of your manual. Feudal tenure is gone too, and there are changes in judgment mortgages, coownership, acquisition of easements, lis pendens registration etc. As you find them, mark off your manual.

After that, I would say succession because there seems to be two questions on it always. Adverse possession is also good, it came up this time, just be aware of recent law on it such as Pye ve Graham and Beaulane v Palmer.
    Treasure trove came up this time as half a question as did easements, so maybe profits a prendre might come in the autumn.

Use bailii.org to get the recent case law. Where there is a big long line of cases, get the last one. The judge will have already picked out the hot bits from the earlier ones. My lecturer in college had a fit when she heard me say that one time ;-)

That's all the advice I can give you, I'm only a punter like yourself at the end of it all.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

If anyone is interested in off loading the most recent property manual from Griffith or Independent-PM me-Will pay 50 lids and P+P.

I have an unmarked current Griffith's EU manual, willing to exchange for current Griffith's Criminal, Equity, Constitutional or Company - pm me if interested, with your usual off-board contact details.
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Hi, so I have the Griffith Constitutional Law Manual, it was for the March 2009 sitting 2009...even though it says 2008...I think because the course starts in November 2008. Its highlighted here and there but that's about it. Willing to sell it for 40 euro if anyone's interested???

I also have the Companies Acts 2008 Student's version by McCann and Courtney. Never actually used it so its not even been opened. Willing to sell it for 55euro if anyone is interested????

Those prices included postal costs as well!!!

PM me if interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RachTheRage

Posted this a few days ago and can't figure out how to edit it. The postion has been filled.
    I know this is slightly off topic but I know of an opening in a Dublin firm - it's reception work but they always promote internally, all trainees were once secretaries/legal execs/receptionists etc. I'm sure the money will be awful but if you're looking for a foot in the door PM me and i'll give you an email address to send a CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Hmmmm, I was just on the law society website there to read the requirement that a training contract be obtained within 5 years of completing the FE-1s but could not see nay reference to it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

You're right. It used to say you have 5 years to pass all of them from the date you pass your first three but now it just says you have to pass them all (no time limit - point 7 here)

It would be just like the LS to change the rules and not tell anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

r14 wrote: »
    You're right. It used to say you have 5 years to pass all of them from the date you pass your first three but now it just says you have to pass them all (no time limit - point 7 here)

It would be just like the LS to change the rules and not tell anyone.

I really thought I was missing something there (slightly fuzzy head today)
    I think I'll send them a mail to see what the story is, this has the potential to take some weight off my shoulders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Does anyone know if the autumn exam schedule for the FE1's has been published yet? Can't see anything specific on the Law Society's website. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

Last year, the timetable for the next session was issued with results. So maybe expect to see it in about 5 weeks time. Also I think it went online a little later than its issuance by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

McLawin wrote: »
    Last year, the timetable for the next session was issued with results. So maybe expect to see it in about 5 weeks time. Also I think it went online a little later than its issuance by post.
    On that note, anybody know when the results are out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

On that note, anybody know when the results are out?

Came out the 9th of June last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

Property Manual
    If anyone is interested in off loading the most recent property manual from Griffith or Independent-PM me-Will pay 90 lids and P+P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zanybornmissfit

Really dont think I passed these ones... again. Has anyone ever tried repeating these for a third time? :(

Really dont think I passed these ones... again. Has anyone ever tried repeating these for a third time? :(

Oh yes you are not alone and never will be when it comes to these exams. I have two to go and I have repeated for example constitutional four times and then I got it and failed two others until I got my three. I studied Land Law for the weekend and passed that straight off along with EU. Have sat Contract and failed that four times but have finally got it along with Constitutional.

When I sat mine in Cork there were so many like me so dont give up they are doable but it is so disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to register for four exams in the first sitting and acutally just take three?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

rbag wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to register for four exams in the first sitting and acutally just take three?

Yes but word is that you actually have to go in for the fourth. It says in the rules that you have to SIT four so even if you register for four with the intention of only passing three, you still need to go in for the fourth and you can leave after 45 minutes. Loads of ppl seemed to do that this year and for every exam I went to, there were streams of people leaving after 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zanybornmissfit

pink101 wrote: »
    Oh yes you are not alone and never will be when it comes to these exams. I have two to go and I have repeated for example constitutional four times and then I got it and failed two others until I got my three. I studied Land Law for the weekend and passed that straight off along with EU. Have sat Contract and failed that four times but have finally got it along with Constitutional.

When I sat mine in Cork there were so many like me so dont give up they are doable but it is so disheartening.

Thanks for letting me know that Pink101, its always good to know your not the only one. Best of luck with the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Does anyone know how acceptance and certainity overlap as a possible exam question?

Ruby83 wrote: »
    Yes but word is that you actually have to go in for the fourth. It says in the rules that you have to SIT four so even if you register for four with the intention of only passing three, you still need to go in for the fourth and you can leave after 45 minutes. Loads of ppl seemed to do that this year and for every exam I went to, there were streams of people leaving after 45 minutes.

Once when I was in Cork sitting them I was talking to someone who told me they had a friend who sat three and never bothered turning up to put her name to the fourth one. She passed the three but they would not give them to her as she did not put her name to the fourth. So even tho you do not intend sitting it you have to go down and sign your name and stay the amount of time alloted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Never thought it possible, but I like the examiners even less after reading the anecdote...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement