Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

There is a provisional timetable on the law society website now.

Also im looking for the spring manuals (or other recent ones) for Company, E.U, Equity and Property if anyone would like to sell them.

Just another quick question. As i have a company and EU exam next month and will be doing both FE-1s later in the year could anyone help me choose which topics to study for my exams now with a view to doing the FE-1s later in the year, i have to choose 4 topics each from:

EU
    ----

1. Customs duties & internal taxation
    2. Arts 28, 29 & 30.
    3. Free movement of persons
    4. Citizenship
    5. Freedom of establishment
    6. Equal treatment between men & women
    7. Art 81
    8. Art 82

&

Company

1. Shareholders remedies
    2. Corporate borrowing
    3. Corporate criminal liability
    4. Receivership
    5. Examinership
    6. Fraudulent & reckless trading

So which 4 of each would be best to study now as regards having to do the FE1s in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hi -

I'm taking Contract, Tort and Constitutional in October. Thinking of doing Criminal as well. Is it too much considering I'm doing it on my own?

Would welcome any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

do company contract criminal and equity, dont do const and tort-huge

saw the preliminary timetable,i wonder if it will change much, i have a wedding oct 10, dont know whether to book flight (on prel timetable they end oct 8)....nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

rbag wrote: »
    Hi -

I'm taking Contract, Tort and Constitutional in October. Thinking of doing Criminal as well. Is it too much considering I'm doing it on my own?

I took those 4 exams last term. I actually dropped Constitutional in the end because I just ran out of study time and work took over. I know ppl say Tort is long but it's very straight forward so I would go with that anyway despite its length. Don't underestimate criminal as well. I thought that would be pretty straightforward and it is but there's a lot of detail to learn.
    Doing it on your own too shouldn't be too bad. If you can get your hands on past sample answers then I think they are really great. Other than that, the manual is enough I think and just go over the exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Paul1979 wrote: »

saw the preliminary timetable,i wonder if it will change much, i have a wedding oct 10, dont know whether to book flight (on prel timetable they end oct 8)....nightmare

I'm in the same position. I'm heading away for a few months and want to go asap. Wish they either issued the final timetable or none at all as I'm itching to book flights!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

It's hard to know allright.
    Criminal seems long too.

Summer of study ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Paul1979 wrote: »

That's decent advice - there is a good overlap between contract and equity and it makes sense to cut your workload by as much as you can. I always think those two should be done hand in hand. You'll end up, however, with constitutional and eu to do the next time around. On the assumption that you will do 4 and then 4, I'd spread EU and constitutional over the two. I'd also be interested in getting company done as soon as you can - the reform act is probably a good bit off, but you just don't want the annoyance of uncertainty that so many felt over EU and property last time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

McLawin wrote: »
    Saw a few Qs about dates of results and timetables being issued. From my experience, the results tend to be issued 6-8 weeks after the exam session. Since there were fewer candidates (seemingly) taking the exams this time round, the results ought to be out in 6 weeks so in and around mid-June (June 10th-17th). That is not based on any information from the Law Society, just my experience and that of friends who have sat them in the past.

The timetable for the next sitting tends to be released at the same time as results. It is posted in the pack with results and goes up on the Law Society website a few days before or after the results are issued.

Jaysus, brain has gone to mush. I reckon it was the exams. I meant to say mid-MAY for those exam results. Sorry for the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

I'm thinking of sitting Company, Property, Constitutional and Equity. I did Company, Property and Equity in my final year of my undergrad last year. I did Constitutional in 2nd year when I was clueless and usually absent from lectures (ah, if I could go back!!). After what I saw in the last few posts, I was wondering do people think its foolish to do Equity and Contract in separate sittings?

I have I.C. manuals from Summer 2009 sittings for Property, Contract and Equity, but I'm told that there have been significant Property changes since, does this mean the manual is obsolete?

Also, myself and 3 friends were thinking of each paying for one prep course, as in I'm thinking I'd do Constitutional, and then swopping notes, etc. Is this feasible, from people's experience?

PS I totally sympathise with people wanting to go on hols but having difficulty because of these damn exams, I'm missing a trip of a lifetime to Africa because of these things, it ahd better be worth it!! :(

Thanks in advance,

dee8839

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

rbag wrote: »
    Hi -

I also did them on my own and sat Contract, constitutional, criminal and equity - there is more overlap between contract and equity so i would recommend doing them together.

Tort is huge, it is straightforward but will take a lot of time. I presume you know you need to SIT 4 exams. The best advice i can give is to study for 4 not 3 with the intention of passing all 4 not just writing your name on the paper.
    You are putting yourself under too much pressure to get 3 good papers.

• Advertisement

if possible sit 5 and aim to pass 4, i would reccomend
    comp/cont/const/crim/prop, it is do-able, if it gets too much towards end drop one and u will have done significant work in order to pass it on next

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

Hi,

I'm looking manuals for these 3 death subjects. Because of the changes for EU and Property I would prefer the most updated ones.

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mbee

Hi,
    I'm trying to get my hands on any of the prep manuals (preferably ICD) for tort and contract, would appreciate fairly recent ones. Let me know if you can help. Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mariaod

Hi, I am looking for all 8 Fe1 Manuls from griffith or Indep colleges. WIll pay good price for them.

PM me if anyone has any of them to sell

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

I studied the course prior to the enactment of Lisbon but decided not to take it. So I am going to take it on this Oct. So Doc of DE and Supremacy are still relevant and competition and all the freedoms right? Has Lisbon only changed the no. of these areas? Does anyone know of a revision book on EU just to concentrate all the key points of each area?

Starting studying company, going to cover

Corporate borrowings
    Directors duties and restriction/disq of dir
    Corporate personality
    Share Transfer
    Winding up
    Shareholders protection and remedies
    Disposal of co assest
    Examinership
    Receivership

Is that enough?

Eek!! Studying already? Fair play. I'm not finished exams til the 17th and was gonna take a break afterwards but I'm beginning to get frightened now.

A lot of people around here who did it alone got the manuals from IC or Griffith, wrote out all their answers and left 4 weeks at the end for learning off, a week per subject. I'm hoping to do much the same thing, maybe even sharing the writing with a friend or two and swopping. How does that sound, to you experienced fe1-ers, sensible or unrealistic?

Just taking a re-look at Contract from March

" In what circumstances can a court sever a clause which has been found to be illegal and enforce the remainder of the contract"

Students have my sympathies. That's either (a) a trick question or (b) continuing the apparent lack of understanding on this exam between an illegal and a void contract. If you know the law, your answer is "ehh, no circumstances?". It seems that all the previous "issues" with the exam (i.e. a question conceivably about the Sale of Goods legislation but probably not intended to be so, proprietary estoppel as a whole question) etc appeared all in one.

dee8839 wrote: »
    Eek!! Studying already? Fair play. I'm not finished exams til the 17th and was gonna take a break afterwards but I'm beginning to get frightened now.

A lot of people around here who did it alone got the manuals from IC or Griffith, wrote out all their answers and left 4 weeks at the end for learning off, a week per subject. I'm hoping to do much the same thing, maybe even sharing the writing with a friend or two and swopping. How does that sound, to you experienced fe1-ers, sensible or unrealistic?

I think this is a less than optimal way to work! How does writing out answers help when you don't know the questions that will ultimately come up? You'd be far better served writing out your notes and understanding them, so you can apply them to any question asked. The chief "poor performance" reason for these exams is regurgitation of material learned off by rote, and past answers are only answers to past questions. You may get lucky (see Contract, March 2010) and find out that some questions look very much like ones from the past, but you may miss the nuances deliberately inserted by the examiners to differentiate them.

There is lots of input from students / candidates in this thread (scroll back!) on study techniques, but the absolute last one I would recommend is learning off answers. Learn the law first, and then deal with answering questions on it! You just can't go wrong that way.

All this early studying has me a bit concerned too!

Im not planning to study for my first 4 till august as ill be travelling until then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

page1 wrote: »
    Starting studying company, going to cover

Corporate borrowings
    Directors duties and restriction/disq of dir
    Corporate personality
    Share Transfer
    Winding up
    Shareholders protection and remedies
    Disposal of co assest
    Examinership
    Receivership

Is that enough?

Max. of one of these would come up as a question in any given paper so I wouldn't study all 3 as I would see it as too much for too little

Also, examinership came up this year - I'd do winding up because that fits into s205 petitions to an extent

• Registered Users Posts: 10 legal lady

hi plannin on sitting my first four FE1s in autumn.....though havent a clue which ones and where to start!!!:confused:

would appreciate any advice.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

legal lady wrote: »
    hi plannin on sitting my first four FE1s in autumn.....though havent a clue which ones and where to start!!!:confused:

It all depends on the person and which exams they choose...

Contract is one of the easiest.
    I would try and split up Constit and Eu. They are both really quite big.

legal lady wrote: »

Look at the provisonal timetable on the law soc site and maybe choose exams with a couple of days in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nutshell

Have been given the following assignment (see below). Can anyone help please?:confused:

Last week, Ben was appointed liquidator to ABC Ltd, a large roofing company.
    It has just come to his attention that on receiving the information that a liquidator was to be appointed some of the directors acted in a questionable manner. Some of the dirctors paid their friend David the balance of an outstanding loan which was owed to him by the company. Fearing a severe loss of income, another of these directors, Shane, paid himself and his wife, Susan(not a shareholder), a sum of money as gifts from the company under the guise of payment for services to the company.

Ben is also worried that two weeks prior to his appointment a floating charge was
    created over the company's large supply of timber.

Advise Ben as to any statutory and common law remedies which may be available
    to him.

I aim for 3 months per subject. I pick my topics, write out the notes in full, then i learn them by re writing a shorter version each time so that by the time of the exams i have about 2 pages of shorthand notes on each topic. I would definitely not try and learn off answers that is the quickest way to failing an exam IMO.
    Everyone has their own way this is what works for me, i only have 2 exams left. I have to aim for 3 months per subject because i have a 6 month old and 2 yr old so im lucky to get 6-7 hrs a week study time.
    If you werent working you probably could study a subject in around a week and a half but i wouldnt AIM to restrict your studying to that amount.

Thanks for the tips JEV/N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Am looking for recent versions of the Company, EU and Property manuals. Please PM if you are selling. Thanks

I have exams for my Masters until the end of May so even though I have been getting my old college notes, Nutshell books, the few manuals I got last year together, it won't be until the start of June that I get down to business.

To clarify what I said when I said I'd be writing out answers and learning them off, I mean writing out shortened versions of the notes on each topic from the manual, not writing out one specific answer!

On the subject of actually doing the prep courses, I'm thinking about doing a course in Constitutional since I can barely remember that, then getting manuals for Company, Contract and Property. There is a possibility that some other friends of mine will decide to go for their first FE1s in October too, in which case they might each take a prep course in another subject and we could share notes, etc.

What do people think about sharing the workload, i.e. dividing out topics and each writing notes on their share? I know its each to their own but what are people's personal experiences? Is it better to work alone in your opinion?

What do people think about sharing the workload, i.e. dividing out topics and each writing notes on their share? I know its each to their own but what are people's personal experiences? Is it better to work alone in your opinion?

Noble idea but I, for one would be lost without my notes exactly the way i like them!

• Advertisement

as other people have previously posted, i think sharing the work load is a terrible way to prepare for these exams, this approach may work in college but it wont for the fe1s,

there is no shortcuts or easy way out, u need to learn and understand the WHOLE course, u cannot pick and choose topics,in a earlier post someone said that in tort one could leave out causation/negligance(!!??) as it never comes up, in order to answer any q on that paper u need to have a thorough understanding of causation and negligance, infact on the sitting i did tort a whole q was dedicated to multiple cause and said poster suggested it was rylands v fletcher, it wasnt, by not understanding and knowing the whole tort paper he was unable to ascertain the correcT area of the course,and thus failed the q

there is plenty of time to study, forget about sharing the workload, get stuck in asap by reading the material and PRACTICE answering as many q as u can on all areas of the course, give yourself the maximum chance of passing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement