Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Paul1979 wrote: »
    as other people have previously posted, i think sharing the work load is a terrible way to prepare for these exams, this approach may work in college but it wont for the fe1s,

there is no shortcuts or easy way out, u need to learn and understand the WHOLE course, u cannot pick and choose topics,in a earlier post someone said that in tort one could leave out causation/negligance(!!??) as it never comes up, in order to answer any q on that paper u need to have a thorough understanding of causation and negligance, infact on the sitting i did tort a whole q was dedicated to multiple cause and said poster suggested it was rylands v fletcher, it wasnt, by not understanding and knowing the whole tort paper he was unable to ascertain the correcT area of the course,and thus failed the q

there is plenty of time to study, forget about sharing the workload, get stuck in asap by reading the material and PRACTICE answering as many q as u can on all areas of the course, give yourself the maximum chance of passing!

Gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

If anyone is interested in off loading the most recent Property or E.U manuals from Griffith or Independent-PM me-Will pay a good price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

Hi,
    Im planning on sitting criminal, tort, contract and eu in sep/oct (repeating these four from march!). Going by the provisional timetable im going to sit either property or equity also...any advice on which would be the best to add to these 4? I'm thinking equity as I've read that there is a lot of overlap between it and contract. Im going to do a revision course for EU just so I can get most up to date post-Lisbon notes, and to keep costs down I was wondering would anyone have the most recent Equity manual? Willing to pay a good price! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Where is the provisional timetable? I've had a quick look on the law society's pages but didn't find it (am in the midst of finals right now ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/hbs/FE1%20dates.pdf

Anyone have recent EU, Tort, Company and Property manuals for sale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 layzee

kgalway wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im planning on sitting criminal, tort, contract and eu in sep/oct (repeating these four from march!). Going by the provisional timetable im going to sit either property or equity also...any advice on which would be the best to add to these 4? I'm thinking equity as I've read that there is a lot of overlap between it and contract. Im going to do a revision course for EU just so I can get most up to date post-Lisbon notes, and to keep costs down I was wondering would anyone have the most recent Equity manual? Willing to pay a good price! :)

How do you know you'll need to repeat them, results aren't out yet?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

layzee wrote: »
    How do you know you'll need to repeat them, results aren't out yet?!!

Oh believe me I know!!! :-) :-)
    Think I did ok in criminal and contract but tort and eu...absolute disaster, didnt even get 5 q's so i wont have three to pass :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aimee34

kgalway wrote: »
    Oh believe me I know!!! :-) :-)
    Think I did ok in criminal and contract but tort and eu...absolute disaster, didnt even get 5 q's so i wont have three to pass :-(

I wouldnt say just cos you didnt get 5 Qs it automatically means a fail - Iv passed the majority of mine on 3 - 4 Qs and dont think iv ever written more than a page for the last Q! Think positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Anyone have recent EU, Tort, Company and Property manuals for sale?[/QUOTE]

I have the latest Griffith's EU manual from this year's revision course, perfectly clean and unmarked, would prefer to straight-swap it for Equity, Criminal, Company or Constitutional manual in similar condition, PM me to follow up. If I can't swap I'll sell it.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mariaod

hi i am looking for equity and property manuals from march 2010.
    If anyone is interested in selling, willing to pay good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

I just rang the Law Soc and they said that they're hoping to have the results out early June.

Was hoping for next week or at least end of May but after this long already you think waiting longer would be easier!

How can it take so long!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Amigone wrote: »
    I just rang the Law Soc and they said that they're hoping to have the results out early June.

Was hoping for next week or at least end of May but after this long already you think waiting longer would be easier!

How can it take so long!!!

It always takes that long

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Jev/N wrote: »
    It always takes that long

Yeah true enough. Mind you heard there there was a lot less people doing them this time round so you'd think the timescale would be shorter. How long do the repeats take to come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Jesus early june? Was hoping they would be out in the next two weeks, my nerves are already shredded. Kind of annoying that I am trying to plan my studying for September but am still not sure what I am going to be taking exams in....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Yes I know it always takes that long but I just don't understand how it takes so long!

As said already, considering so many fewer people sat the exams how can they justify almost three months to mark papers! Grrrr!!

If anyone is willing to sell,will pay good price.
    Also have a no. of manuals myself if swaps wanted or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McLawin

Early June for results? Hopefully?

Uggggghhhh, that is a long time. Usually it's two months but since the exams started a wee bit earlier last session than the previous year, that is a loooong wait for results. Damn, I was hoping to get them within next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bcdccm

Hi everybody,

Just finished my degree, (LLB from NUIG) and thinking of starting 4 (maybe more) of these exams in September/October. Just wanted to know how useful are my college notes. My notes where usually good and I have the main books for some of the subjects. I know they may be a little out of date like contract, but notes do include Lisbon and LCLRA 09.

I never see anybody mention previous notes on these forums??? Are fe1 manuals a necessity instead? Do many attend these other prep courses?

Thanks for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lil ms sunshine

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but anyone any ideas when the March results are out? Thanks

1st week of june:D
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but anyone any ideas when the March results are out? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lil ms sunshine

1st week of june:D

Much obliged. Although, I'm not sure I can wait that long ;)

bcdccm wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

Just finished my degree, (LLB from NUIG) and thinking of starting 4 (maybe more) of these exams in September/October. Just wanted to know how useful are my college notes. My notes where usually good and I have the main books for some of the subjects. I know they may be a little out of date like contract, but notes do include Lisbon and LCLRA 09.

I never see anybody mention previous notes on these forums??? Are fe1 manuals a necessity instead? Do many attend these other prep courses?

Thanks for any help.

It depends entirely on your notes and the nature of the syllabi you covered in college. Say, for example, you did constitutional law with Gerard Hogan in 1998-2006 in Trinity and wanted to do the King's Inn exams, you'd see that the Kings Inns syllabus was word for word what you did in college. On the other hand, it wouldn't be half of what is on the Law Society constitutional law syllabus. You really need to examine the syllabi closely and see how they add up with what you did in college and need to examine past papers / examiners reports to see how your notes would have allowed you to answer questions.

If you find that your college courses are not as "exhaustive" (to use a neutral term) as the fe1 syllabus then you don't need Griffith or Independent. All you need is time, the library, and coffee. Like, its just law - more law, but law nonetheless. I think people who are in your position choose our courses (and Independent's courses) not because they know nothing about law, but because they want to top up / update what was done in college. There are others who are coming to law for the first time, but for the most part its the additional things that the courses offer.

Again, however, you can certainly gather all the information / materials you need on your own. Lisbon is well covered in the treaty itself and in third party materials. Maddox and/or Wylie for the 2009 Act is good. The annual review of Irish law for updates is a good start coupled with the case-updaters in the ILT/BR/Gazette. Then get the past papers from the law society and reports and track each report to make sure you can talk about every case the examiner has ever mentioned or examined on.

The prep courses are just there to make this easier.

Regards

Brian

GCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Amigone wrote: »
    Yes I know it always takes that long but I just don't understand how it takes so long!

I can't argue with that TBH, especially seeing as the Oct exams take less time to get the results out

Jev/N wrote: »
    I can't argue with that TBH, especially seeing as the Oct exams take less time to get the results out

Some of the examiners would have a lot of other burdens around this time, with undergrad exams etc. I'm sure the Law Society has to take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

Hi everybody,

Thanks for any help.

i was in the exact same position as you, same courses in NUIG etc, waiting for the results for my 2nd set of 4. some courses the notes are enough and some aren't unfortunately, i would definitely say that a textbook or griffith/I.C. notes book would be needed to supplement them.
    not due to the quality of the notes or lectures, your college exam notes are prob too detailed if anything, it's just the pure breadth of the syllabus for the Fe1 requires you to cover more topics than might have been done during the university modules. I used the manuals that were about a year out of date+my own notes+ extra resources (loaned textbooks, lexis/westlaw limited access)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Limkcliffy

Hi all,

Today i was lucky, and received a letter to go for an interview for a Small firm in Limk next week.

Does anyone have any tips for the interview? Do most firms question, knowledge on cases in the newspapers etc?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bcdccm

Thanks Brian and 32minutes.
    Im taking your advice and have started going through the syllabus and updates from westlaw etc. Ive ordered some past papers and reports, and might look out for some manuals. Still think I might do one of those griffith one day courses for the odd exam.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks Brian and 32minutes.
    Im taking your advice and have started going through the syllabus and updates from westlaw etc. Ive ordered some past papers and reports, and might look out for some manuals. Still think I might do one of those griffith one day courses for the odd exam.

Thanks for the help!

On the manuals, I should warn (generally) that I'm consciously making sure that updates are being delivered nowadays in an entirely individualised licensed manner and not in the course manuals.

I understand entirely that people want to source manuals etc in the cheapest way they can find, but I equally have to ensure that GCD students get a competitive edge for the money they spend. My thinking on this was started by a post on here a few months ago by one student expressing anger when someone started posting about selling mp3 rips of the lectures (which was swiftly stopped). The student's view (reasonably, I think) was anger that they would pay X money for a course, which someone else would pirate and sell of Y money etc.

In short, if you buy a manual second hand (lets just say contract), you're not getting the material that I would rely on during the course as updates etc are specially distributed and individually licensed. I would also keep important additional materials aside for delivery to GCD students, in class or online etc. This is particularly the case with the EU manual from last time - i.e. students who downloaded the updates from moodle would see their specific name / student number printed on same. I'm obviously assuming here that no-one would, in fact, breach that licence!

In short, if people find that second hand manuals don't seem up to date - they are not, and there is a clear reason for this - to reduce their value!

I'll take my corporate shoes off now, and get back to football manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

My own experience is that if you have a law degree then you really only need updates on recent developments. That said the GCD manuals are beneficial and I take the point from Brian that the manuals aren't everything. Cant speak directly about Independent except for what they have on the web. Watched their sample lecture videos and they are poor (and I'd imagine that you put your best up as a sample). Compared to a law degree programme they are very poor. They also claim credit for 1st place FE1 prizes for students who did revision courses with them but of course actually are law graduates from UCC and other colleges - so who says GCD got them the prize ?

• Advertisement

jacko1 wrote: »
    My own experience is that if you have a law degree then you really only need updates on recent developments. That said the GCD manuals are beneficial and I take the point from Brian that the manuals aren't everything. Cant speak directly about Independent except for what they have on the web. Watched their sample lecture videos and they are poor (and I'd imagine that you put your best up as a sample). Compared to a law degree programme they are very poor. They also claim credit for 1st place FE1 prizes for students who did revision courses with them but of course actually are law graduates from UCC and other colleges - so who says GCD got them the prize ?

Just to be clear - when I say the manuals aren't everything - what I mean is that the manuals in their physical form aren't everything in the sense that the balance of the most up to date stuff is distributed to students separate to the manual!

Regards
    B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement