Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I'm having an "oh Sh*t" day - got tort and property but only 45 in contract - a bit of downer. First sitting so I have to do them all again. Ah well, wtf.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I'm having an "oh Sh*t" day - got tort and property but only 45 in contract - a bit of downer. First sitting so I have to do them all again. Ah well, wtf.

JC
    I know how you feel......my last three and failed all! Absolutely shocked never did so bad before! Really don't know if I am going to continue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Ruby83 wrote: »
    Would it be a bit weird to go to the cork course even if u had a training contract in Dublin? I'm thinking of keeping the costs down as much as possible!

Mise freisin. It was more the stanard of teaching between the two. Are the classes video linked or whats the story? I know they have different start dates but i presume the exams are the same.

I did my undergrad in UCC, i'm not a law grad though. I dunno, i'm nearly 30 and i'm not sure being in a college with a load of young adults nearly half my age will do much for my ego.

i'm nearly 30 and i'm not sure being in a college with a load of young adults nearly half my age will do much for my ego.[/QUOTE]

Bullsh*t - I did it at a lot more than that! Go for it!

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Mise freisin. It was more the stanard of teaching between the two. Are the classes video linked or whats the story? I know they have different start dates but i presume the exams are the same.

I did my undergrad in UCC, i'm not a law grad though. I dunno, i'm nearly 30 and i'm not sure being in a college with a load of young adults nearly half my age will do much for my ego.

Well I'll be nearly 29 by the time I start so I wouldn't worry. My friend that went last year said there were loads of "older people" there!

Bullsh*t - I did it at a lot more than that! Go for it!

JC
    Sound JC, although I'll have to go get a whole new wardrobe like, the washboard/malnurished stomach is no more. Do they still wear baggy jeans and nirvana t-shirts with sideways baseball caps?? Go Yankees!!!

Seriously though i would be interested in knowing if there is a difference between the two since i will probably have a choice. Do employers see any difference? The law society have been bloody quick (35minutes!!) in responding to a fair few of the questions i had but as regards standard of teaching etc it's probably better to hear from some independent voices.

for those of you that didn't get it this time keep plugging away. The absolute giddiness and feeling of relief when it's all over is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Ruby83 wrote: »
    Well I'll be nearly 29 by the time I start so I wouldn't worry. My friend that went last year said there were loads of "older people" there!

Yeh, a lot of the UCC evening law grads take the Cork PPC course as its easier than Dublin with families etc

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

blathblath wrote: »
    I know how you feel......my last three and failed all! Absolutely shocked never did so bad before! Really don't know if I am going to continue :(

That sucks but if its yout three def don't give up! Only another few months until you do them again and in the grand scheme of things an extra 4 months or so makes no difference really!

Seriously though i would be interested in knowing if there is a difference between the two since i will probably have a choice. Do employers see any difference?

I had lunch with a very recently-qualified solr on Friday (32-yr old) and she did it in Cork. She's working with a small firm in Limerick. According to her, the course is a doddle - she says it only involves learning how to fill forms. It is however a very expensive course, about nine thousand to do it. No difference between Cork and Dublin apart from the honour and glory of saying you were in Blackhall Place.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No difference between Cork and Dublin apart from the honour and glory of saying you were in Blackhall Place.

But is that important. At the end of the day all Law degrees are the same but different colleges have different reputations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Hogzy wrote: »
    But is that important. At the end of the day all Law degrees are the same but different colleges have different reputations.

except they are not different colleges - they are both Law Society of Irelan - the only difference is the geography

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

JC

Consider getting it rechecked. If you don't get brought up then feck it but if you do then it'll be money well spent (and the re-check fee will be returned to you). When I sat my first four for the second time I got 3 but only got something like 46 in company. My boss at the time convinced me to get it rechecked and I got brought up so I had my first four down. Its a nice feeling to receive a cheque from the Law Society :D:D

For those of you who weren't successful stick at it, its taken me 3 years to get them and I have been working full time and commuting for those 3 years so if I can do it anyone can!!

mandz wrote: »
    Consider getting it rechecked.

Thanks for the supportive remarks - much appreciated. I have the re-check form filled up already! Dr. Brian Foley BL in Griffith said the same - worth having a go if you're any way close. My biggest problem now is timing - the re-check results won't be out until the end of August, going by the lawsoc's schedule. My dilemma is do I re-study the subjects I might be repeating, or tear into the others? I have already actually begun on EU, mountain of sh*t that it is.

JC

Edit: I've just worked out the dates of their re-check process. Are they out to nail us altogether? They will give the re-check result by 13th August, BUT - the closing date for the autumn FE1s is the previous Friday, 6th August. So, without knowing if I have to repeat three from this attempt, I have to decide what to do in the autumn. The only tactical solution I can see at the moment is
    (a) hold off on applying until the very last minute, in the hope the recheck result will come out early
    (b) alternatively, apply for the other subjects in Autumn and do the repeats next Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mollydog

was constitution marked hard, waiting on results

Edit: I've just worked out the dates of their re-check process. Are they out to nail us altogether? They will give the re-check result by 13th August, BUT - the closing date for the autumn FE1s is the previous Friday, 6th August. So, without knowing if I have to repeat three from this attempt, I have to decide what to do in the autumn. The only tactical solution I can see at the moment is
    (a) hold off on applying until the very last minute, in the hope the recheck result will come out early
    (b) alternatively, apply for the other subjects in Autumn and do the repeats next Spring.

I am almost positive i had the re-checks back before i sent in the form last year even though i remember thinking the same. It WAS pretty tight but the re-checks are worth it. I got 48 in tort the last time. Got moved to 49. sound....(never got my cheque back mind!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

has anyone ever had equity rechecked and been brought up? also what do you think should be the quota % to recheck? Undecided as to whether 39 is worth a shot!

I am almost positive i had the re-checks back before i sent in the form last year even though i remember thinking the same. It WAS pretty tight but the re-checks are worth it. I got 48 in tort the last time. Got moved to 49. sound....(never got my cheque back mind!)

Even if I allow that they might send the recheck results comfortably within the deadline date, it still makes planning a study strategy for the next few months very messy. I think I'll study the ones I would have been doing anyway, and leave the pesky repeats until the Spring if I have to do them.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RachTheRage

Bloody Equity - 8th and final exam and failed it with the worst grade i've gotten to date by a long shot. Thought it went ok on the day so definitely gettin it rechecked. Was hopin to go down to Blackhall this sept - where do the rechecks leave me for that????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 n0_bunny

Got my first few in the bag! Yesssss hell yeah! I love you all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cagney88

If someone has a minute could they give some advice on the best approach to skeleton notes/flash cards (for example;[tort] employer's liability for occupational injury)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mollydog

did u do constitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Bloody Equity - 8th and final exam and failed it with the worst grade i've gotten to date by a long shot. Thought it went ok on the day so definitely gettin it rechecked. Was hopin to go down to Blackhall this sept - where do the rechecks leave me for that????

Same here, last exam, only 1 to do and I tanked. I actually thought it was a mistake when I opened it. It was the best paper I have done I was sure and I failed badly. Can't understand how I did so bad. Is rechecking paying 120 and waiting 10 weeks the only option? I really can't believe this was my grade. I don't know what to do I am heartbroken. I'll have to sign up for and pay for a prep course while waiting for the bloody recheck and have never heard of anyone going up 15%. I don't know if it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Are the same subjects in the same order in the time table at every session for example Tort was the very first one in March, will it be the first one again in Sep/oct? I sat them for the first time in March got 3/4 luckily. Constitutional - what a disaster. Is the Griffith lecturer good in that subject?

Hogzy wrote: »

Agree Hogzy - it's Blackhall or Blackpool, not much difference if you say it quickly enough!

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

Even if I allow that they might send the recheck results comfortably within the deadline date, it still makes planning a study strategy for the next few months very messy. I think I'll study the ones I would have been doing anyway, and leave the pesky repeats until the Spring if I have to do them.

JC

Happened to me on my first sitting this time 2 years ago i failed 2 and passed 2 and i was utterly shocked and dissapointed...I took the next sitting off n hit the 4 i failed the next spring and passed the 4...I think take some time out if you can or else do the other subjects as you wont be so resentful...Passed my last 2 today...It can be done...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Glynn2

Hi,

Selling Property, Constitutional, Tort and EU manuals(march 2010) from Independent Colleges for €60 each.
    Also selling exam papers and reports dating from '05 to '10, exluding exam reports for the 2010 exams, for the above subjects-€10 each.

In Dublin/Mayo, can post them with added charge covering P+P.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

Are the same subjects in the same order in the time table at every session for example Tort was the very first one in March, will it be the first one again in Sep/oct? I sat them for the first time in March got 3/4 luckily. Constitutional - what a disaster. Is the Griffith lecturer good in that subject?

Here's the provisional timetable http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/hbs/FE1%20dates.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

YAY I am over the moon....Blackhall hear I come. Congrats to everyone who got them!!! And to all who didn't keep on trying work through the de-motivated feeling, I know it's easier said than done but trust me this feeling is worth it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

Hey guys, I was just wondering what % mark is considered high? Obviously its 50% to pass but do many people get in the high 50s or in between the low to high 60s or even 70s??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement