Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Contract law 09, €80
    Criminal law 09, €80
    Equity 09, €80

All Griffith.
    All include past exam qs, examiner reports and exam grids.

All as new - not written on at all.

Can meet Dublin area or post if you're willing to pay the P&P .

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

i see a few people didn't get their final exam and while it's all lovely internet message board anonymity, i was in the same position last year. failed last exam, tort, apprenticeship gone feckn gutted central. But you just gota pick yourself up. Passed tort this time and the year has flown, you just got to work harder and smarter and bust your ass even more than you have done.

While some seem to think these are a doddle i found them bloody difficult. i think even the fact i failed tort the last time has helped me in some sort of weird way. everything happens for a reason and i know people are heartbroken but chin up like. make the decision that you want this and bloody rip into the next set and you'll come out appreciating it twice as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

To whoever asked about EU, i was doing it for the second time as my last fe1 and on the day i thought it had slipped away, barely got the 5 questions done. Pleasantly surprised to get 59...fe1's done but no apprenticeship, like a numer of others i suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Becky55 wrote: »
    Photocopied 09 Tort manual €25
    ????

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

i see a few people didn't get their final exam and while it's all lovely internet message board anonymity, i was in the same position last year. failed last exam, tort, apprenticeship gone feckn gutted central. But you just gota pick yourself up. Passed tort this time and the year has flown, you just got to work harder and smarter and bust your ass even more than you have done.

While some seem to think these are a doddle i found them bloody difficult. i think even the fact i failed tort the last time has helped me in some sort of weird way. everything happens for a reason and i know people are heartbroken but chin up like. make the decision that you want this and bloody rip into the next set and you'll come out appreciating it twice as much.
    I jus don't get it. I have never done so badly in any of them and this time I thought I had it in the bag. A few that I completely waffled I did fine in. I just don't know if there's a point doing it again. Can you view your script? I must have completely misjudged/misread the questions to do so badly but I'd like to see where exactly I went wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Got my last two! Weird because i wasn't excited or relieved or anything.... i think i was so sure i failed them both that i can't believe they've actually passed me.

That or my first overwhelming feeling was 'where am i going to find the fees now!'... which is pretty much what i've been worrying about since yesterday morning!

But all in all the fact i never have to do an FE1 again is just the most amazing feeling, not going to Blackhall, no... just never having to do an FE1 again!

For all those exasperated and fed up.... as everyone is saying - just keep at it. I wrote pure sh*te for both EU and Const and can not see how i possibly passed but if you just keep at them you'll get there eventually!

See the rest of you in Blackhall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Failed the two i thought were my strongest exams and i passed EU which i thought was a guaranteed fail. First time doing them but it does put some blow on your ego.
    All thats going through my head now is not to bother doing them and just give up!
    What scares me is that i dont really know where i went wrong in my two fails. Would not having the ability to name enough cases(but describe them) loose you 10%?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Hogzy if its what you really want to do then dont give up. I started them years ago, sat 4 passed 2 failed 2, sat again same thing both times missed out by 2%. I felt i musnt have been good enough so i left it. I started again a year ago and just passed my 6th exam, hope to pass the final 2 in Sept. Dont give up if its what you really want, they are tough but once you get the first 3 you will fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Mickalis wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what % mark is considered high? Obviously its 50% to pass but do many people get in the high 50s or in between the low to high 60s or even 70s??

I think it varies alot form subject to subject but a friend of mine got 70 in Contract the time I did it and won the award for the best mark in Contract. So I imagine the low 70s is generally the highest you can get, Quiet alot of people get mid to high 60s. At the end of the day dosn't really matter though once you get 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

First time at bat and I pass const/contract/crim and equity, very happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Passed all 8 (4 and 4) first time last year.

My only advice is get the manuals, learn them inside out, and attempt all 5 questions. Everyone is in the same boat, so just put the head down and go for it.

Out of the 10 or so friends/classmates that sat them, 8 of us passed them all first time, the other two are still trying them. The difference, in my opinion? The 8 of us worked hard, covered our bases with regards topics. The other two didn't work hard enough and left themselves with little or no leeway in terms of questions they could answer in the exam (because they hadn't done enough topics in the first place).

ALSO: I would be very hesistant about doing the Fe-1s without a realistic chance of a training contract. It's great to get them, but they are utterly useless unless you get a firm to train you. Obvious point, but still hundreds do this every year. Be realistic I guess, is what I'm saying.

page1 wrote: »
    Dont give up if its what you really want, they are tough but once you get the first 3 you will fly it.

Thats the thing. If i passed my first round i would know for a fact that im well able to do these exams. The fact that i passed EU is whats keeping me from dropping out. I never failed an exam in my law undergrad so failing these two have made me question my abilities. TBH im prob just on a downer today and i have the mindset that the end is nigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cd.galway

ALSO: I would be very hesistant about doing the Fe-1s without a realistic chance of a training contract. It's great to get them, but they are utterly useless unless you get a firm to train you. Obvious point, but still hundreds do this every year. Be realistic I guess, is what I'm saying.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this...in the grand scheme of things those that sit these exams have no training contract!!! And it's my experience that law firms don't want to see you until you have all 8...in this climate anyway.
    I secured my training contract 2 weeks ago..by sheer luck in a firm back home...on the pretence that I passed all!!! Luckily I did as I would have been out on my ear. But I know lots who got them all last October and secured contracts after.

cd.galway wrote: »
    ALSO: I would be very hesistant about doing the Fe-1s without a realistic chance of a training contract. It's great to get them, but they are utterly useless unless you get a firm to train you. Obvious point, but still hundreds do this every year. Be realistic I guess, is what I'm saying.

I disagree with this...in the grand scheme of things those that sit these exams have no training contract!!! And it's my experience that law firms don't want to see you until you have all 8...in this climate anyway.
    I secured my training contract 2 weeks ago..by sheer luck in a firm back home...on the pretence that I passed all!!! Luckily I did as I would have been out on my ear. But I know lots who got them all last October and secured contracts after.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I wouldn't discourage any1 from doing the FE-1s if they don't have a TC. The vast majority of ppl don't have a TC before sitting the FE-1s, and the majority (albeit a smaller one) of ppl sitting them eventually get a TC.

Only Big 5 and some other commercial firms give out TCs to ppl without FE-1s completed/began. And even then, it is an advantage to have them done for many of these firms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

EU seems to have been passed by all ?

Generally has a high enough pass rate, the examiner ususally says what it was in his report. Usually in the low 70s i think but can vary alot, it has been low 60s/high 50s before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I think it varies alot form subject to subject but a friend of mine got 70 in Contract the time I did it and won the award for the best mark in Contract. So I imagine the low 70s is generally the highest you can get, Quiet alot of people get mid to high 60s. At the end of the day dosn't really matter though once you get 50!

I got 71% in Constitutional last year and didn't get anything, so I imagine just above that is probably as high as it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tweedledee!

I'm going to sit my first four FE1's in October but bought some manuals last summer thinking I was going to give the exams a go last year but my LLM got in the way.
    I'm just wondering whether these would be obselete for the October '10 sittings and if much has changed...

-Company Law manual from Winter 08/09 and
    -Contract from Summer 08

I'd really appreciate any advice so I'll know whether I should go buy more recent ones before I start studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lucilou

Hi I know its bit unrelated but does anyone know anything about the Law Society's Access programme?? ANy info greatly appreciated....Iv read what it says on the website but its not very clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

Nothing that groundbreaking in fairness.There are a few cases in Company that recently drew attention,(DCC v Fyffes) and a couple more but nothing that a half hour photocopying the law reports won't fix.
    In Contract (The Eurymedon case) had an impact on the Damages area of the course,just be aware of it.A look over the Law reports wouldn't go astray just to be sure.
    To answer your original question,the manuals you have from those years have 99% perfectly satisfactory material to sit and pass those two subjects,as the legislation and legal principles applied in both these subjects are generally more stationary than say Constitutional,just watch out for the most recent cases which actually impacted the principles of either subject or where commentary given in a recent case clarified or suggested a shift of judicial attitude on an existing older principle.

I'm going to sit my first four FE1's in October but bought some manuals last summer thinking I was going to give the exams a go last year but my LLM got in the way.
    I'm just wondering whether these would be obselete for the October '10 sittings and if much has changed...

-Company Law manual from Winter 08/09 and
    -Contract from Summer 08

I'd really appreciate any advice so I'll know whether I should go buy more recent ones before I start studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rocksteadykk

Hi,

I have the Companies Acts, McCann and Courtney 2008 Student Edition (Brand New) for sale. In excellent condition. Fair price! PM if interested :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pauline.mcc

lucilou wrote: »
    Hi I know its bit unrelated but does anyone know anything about the Law Society's Access programme?? ANy info greatly appreciated....Iv read what it says on the website but its not very clear...

hi there,

I'm on the Access scheme so can fill u in with a few bits of info- first of all if you were on it in college then u get accepted pretty much straight away. You just need a letter from your college access officer to qualify.

If you weren't an access student in college then u need to print the application form and make your case so to speak in order to be accepted- like why you feel you should benefit and what obstacles you might face without their assistance.

The access scheme in general means that you receive assistance and that exams and so on for are paid for you. I sat my FE1s in March and these were paid for me, when you're filling in the FE1 application form just note on the form that you are in the access scheme (cos it asks you if u have attached your payment) if you are selected for it.

Any other info needed just ask but best advice is to get the number for the Law School from the website and give them a buzz- they'll tell you all u need to know :) best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pauline.mcc

hey hey guys and girls,

I'm looking for manuals in Equity, Constitutional and Criminal if anyone has any they need to offload- most recent editions only as i have older ones!

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 McBee

Selling an Independent Colleges Winter 09/10 Constitutional Law Manual.
    45euro if meeting in Dublin, or 50euro P+P.

PM if interested!

OK, last time round i did:

Constitutional, EU, Tort and Criminal

It was a bad decision as i took the largest 3. Ended up failing 3. Passed EU

For my September sitting i want to replace Tort with another subject. Preferably something small like Criminal. Would Contract or Company be a good one to choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ruby83

Hogzy wrote: »
    OK, last time round i did:

Constitutional, EU, Tort and Criminal

It was a bad decision as i took the largest 3. Ended up failing 3. Passed EU

For my September sitting i want to replace Tort with another subject. Preferably something small like Criminal. Would Contract or Company be a good one to choose?

Hi Hogzy,
    I did contract this time round and found it to be the easiest out of the three I did, mainly because it was relatively short and not as boring as I would have expected. I did Tort and Criminal as well. Criminal wasn't too bad either but I thought it was v difficult learning all the section numbers/prison terms/fines. Have yet to do company but judging from the size of the manual I received this week, I'm not really looking forward to getting stuck in!

True, Found company really interesting in my undergrad. Mind you i found tort interesting aswell but hated studying it for the FE1's Think ill sign up for the contract exam so! Anyone know if Equity is small or large. I remember in my undergrad Injunctions were about 40% of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

If you have an Indep/Griffith 09/10 Property manual and that covers the 09 Land + Conveyanciing Reform Act. PM me...will pay good price.
    (or if you have supplementary notes given by GCD/Indep on the impact of the act to the exam):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mirwin

jacko1 wrote: »
    EU seems to have been passed by all ?
    Not me ......EU was my last one and only got 46.. am gutted. Can't understand as I thought I did a pretty good exam and worked my ass off!! From what I can see, most seem to have passed EU this time around. Have sent it off for re-check and am praying I will be brought up to 50% - if not, it's back to the books for me.....and Blackhall will have to wait for another year :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

I have the following for sale:
    1) Companies Acts, McCann and Courtney 2008 Student Edition- Brand New
    2) EU Manual, Griffith College, Summer 2009
    3) EU Manual, Griffith College, March 2010....this was given to us in december last year when the Lisbon Treaty was passed and it was in the form of two books bound together, without the final chapters such as equality being included so you'd need to look at an older manual for those 2/3 final chapters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement