Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange wireless problem

• 30-08-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

One of the computers at work is having a strange problem using the internet (digiweb dsl, using there standard modem, not the wireless router one) through our wireless network (Belkin router: F5D7632-4 with direct wired connection to the modem). Wireless card is Belkin: F5D7000

When the Pc is first turned on the connection works fine, can browse the internet for about a minute then it loses the connection and repairing the connection just sets the IP to 169.254.227.209 some standard ip for windows when it can't find a dhcp server. If I set the IP manually it connects for about a minute then loses the connection. If I try to repair after using static ip it returns to using the 169.254 range and won't connect.

I've tried using a programme called winsockXPfix (recommended on other sites) to repair the register that may have been corrupted due to spyware. But the problem is still there. The computer is no more than 4ft away from my own pc which is identical in almost every way (has a different graphics card). My pc has excellent signal strength.

When I shut down the affected pc it takes minutes for the shut down options to appear and then minutes for it to actually shut down. If I remove the card and it's drivers the computer shuts down normally, reinstall the card everything works fine for a few minutes then the problem returns.

I'm completely lost, I can't think whats wrong.

Also, the computer can see the wireless network and connect to it using the static ip but can't use the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Try swapping the wireless cards between your machine and the one giving trouble. That will tell you if the problem lies with the card or not. Also check that teh wireless card is being controlled by either Wibdows zero configuration or Belkin and not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I brought this up on another technical forum aswell and was told it could be a broken bit of soldering on the card that loses connection when it heats up.

Swaping the cards probably would have been a good way of making sure (but I've had to take the card out multiple times to reinstall the drivers) in the end I just gave in and ordered a new card. With all the time I've spent on it it's cheeper to just replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have that same belkin card and have pretty much the same trouble , its about as random as it gets with connecting.

sometimes it works , sometimes it doesnt , I can get it to work for about an hour with Windows zero config , the belkin software gives the same issues you describe ,

I have tried multiple drivers , all with much the same result , personally Ive had enough of it , Im ditching it and buying a linkysys , by all accounts they are so much better.

If anyone can nail down a fix , Id be interested , but Ive spent too much time on this one already , nothing seems to be wrong , just the card is about as unstable as it gets driver wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I have a sitecom (54G Turbo to be precise) PCI card that's causing the exact same problem. I'm tempted by the "faulty card" explanation, but then I can still see the connection after it dies, signal strength is 2/5, not brilliant, but usually no problem. I just can't reconnect.

My wireless router is a NetGear one, connected to NTL BB.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I found Belkin wireless adapters (the USB ones) extremely dodgy. I had similar problems to above. Switched them to another brand and its working great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement