Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go?

• 30-08-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Myself and my husband would like to go scuba-diving next year (preferably in July). We are keen to go somewhere (outside of Ireland obviously) with good diving and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

beebsie wrote:
    Hi,

Myself and my husband would like to go scuba-diving next year (preferably in July). We are keen to go somewhere (outside of Ireland obviously) with good diving and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks
    :D

Hi beebsie.

Don't write off Ireland so quickly, we have some fantastic diving in this country. Check out (or ask on boards.ie) scuba.ie for lists of Dive Centres around the country.

To answer your question though, there's lots of places you could check out, it depends on your budget and the type of holiday you want.
    In Europe, Malta/Gozo is very popular as an example. There's supposed to be some good diving around the Canaries too.
    Slightly further afield, look at the Red Sea coasts of Egypt or Israel.
    Thailand is always popular with divers and holiday-makers alike, and there's always the big daddy of them all, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Give us a better idea of the type of holiday you like on land, and the budget you have to spend, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of good ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Egypt Red Sea.Out of this world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Egypt isn't bad, if your into fish and the like. We stayed in the Hilton,Sharks Bay, all inclusive, so we harly spent much because of diving everyday and all the food & drink being included.

Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Egypt will be awfully hot in July though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Sabre Man wrote:
    Egypt will be awfully hot in July though.

I was there in July 12 months agop and you're talking mid 40's during the day and mid 30's at night. That was onland in sharm though so it would be a few degrees cooler out at sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am just back from Barbados and had a nice dive out there water was lovely. I did not get to dive a lot but The vis was good and fish Plentiful.

The common drop off has a least 3 wrecks that where fun.

I also dived this year off, fuerte ventura and it was ok. They might have better sites than the one I did. I went in Jan it was warmer under the water

Then if money is no object try Grand Cayman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Zambia232 wrote:
    Then if money is no object try Grand Cayman

Once you get there, it's very good value:
    http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Belize and the Blue hole.. wicked.. Fiji with the Sharks.. Great barrier reef, but go further up to the cod hole amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Cheiftan

Second the blue hole :D , Belize on the whole is great , Caye caulker and Ambrigis (SP) caye great destinations.

Honduras is worth thinking about as well , Bay Islands offers some great diving that ain't hard on the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gozo. Fly to Malta, hire a car and drive to the Gozo ferry, or get the helicoptor transfer, it is an amazing place to dive.

Devoid of nightlife, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants around the bigger resorts. I dived with Atlantis diving, they were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Depends on the type of diving you are into. Personally I'm into wrecks, and am heading to Scapa Flow on Friday (for my second time). I'm also booked on a liveaboard in Norway next July diving deep wrecks in the Fjords. Might not be warm, but its what I'm into...:D

Advertisement