Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC TYTN II, just around the corner!

• 30-08-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

What you all been waiting for (well,some of you) : come to mummy

so who will be the first to get your mitts on one of these? not to bad on the price compared the e90, is it and fact it has way better gps etc etc!!!

Damo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I mailed voda asking when I can have one earlier actually. Iv a V1605 ATM and there launching it as the V1615. Out on Voda UK since last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Yes tell us what Voda say... I'd be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Damn. Another 9 months to my birthday. When's Christmas?

I was going to say :eek: at the price, but then I realised I paid the same for my Atom last year. And this has a hell of a lot more bells and whistles.

Hopefully next Summer for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Wow.
    Had no idea vodafone were bringing this device out.
    If they'd only bring out proper data add-ons to use it with now..

@ damo86 does the nokia e90 not have 'proper' gps. Or do you need a network connection.

Anyway fwiw i'm fairly sure the gps in the tytn II is the same as in the p3600 (qualcom) and i can confirm that this works very well with tomtom at least. Not sure about other satnav software tbh.

Also it'll come with that HTC touchflo thing as well making it easier to use.

Only thing i'd be wary of is it's weight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Rew wrote:
    I mailed voda asking when I can have one earlier actually. Iv a V1605 ATM and there launching it as the V1615. Out on Voda UK since last week.

I'd be interested to hear how this goes too. I've just switched to a business Acc and the TyTN II would be a nice upgrade :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

@mkennedy
    yes the e90 does a have proper gps but its a low powered chip so its not as fast as the tytn 2,should be able keeps its lock better too.

One question thats still bothering me though..Why oh why does windows mobile professional suck big time at one-handed usage?Other then that its gonna to be a fantastic device.
    Must pop o2 an email to find out of they're releasing it.

damo86 wrote:
    @mkennedy
    yes the e90 does a have proper gps but its a low powered chip so its not as fast as the tytn 2,should be able keeps its lock better too.

One question thats still bothering me though..Why oh why does windows mobile professional suck big time at one-handed usage?Other then that its gonna to be a fantastic device.
    Must pop o2 an email to find out of they're releasing it.

I know exactly what you mean.
    However HTC touchflo -which this device has- should mean it's more conducive to one-handed use.

It's the same software that the HTC touch uses afaik.

It's not quite iphone useability but it's something.

I'm using the HTC p3600 with spb mobile shell so can't complain too much i suppose.
    This helps to cut down stylus use as much as possible.

Iv been using a TyTN/V1605 since they came out on voda about a year ago. Iv upped it to WM6 recently and added TomTom 6 and a BT GPS. Im getting HSDPA conectivity on it so its very responsive when browsing (within reason) and for other data apps (google maps etc). Push email is fantastic as always.

Im dying to see the TyTN II in real life to see if there is much of a differance, looks like they have managed to improve on what was already a fantastic device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

a bit cheaper on clove.co.uk - works out at €693. Dunno how much shipping is.

Set up a forum specifically for the TyTN II a while ago - dead as a door nail there though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wiimoteman

Does anyone know when the HTC touch II is coming out in Ireland.I was considering an xda orbit but If this thing is coming out soon and at a reasonable price.. I might have a change of heart.

• Advertisement

wiimoteman wrote:
    Does anyone know when the HTC touch II is coming out in Ireland.I was considering an xda orbit but If this thing is coming out soon and at a reasonable price.. I might have a change of heart.

Should be available unlocked from places like clove.co.uk and expansys.ie any time now if not already.
    I know clove had it on pre-order already.

Sept 03 (ie tomorrow) was a date being bandied about.

It's over 700 euro unlocked afaik though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭macronot

I'm really interested in buying this phone (tytn II)?

Where is a good/best place to buy? Is there anywhere in Ireland?

This is will be my first of this type of phone (never has a pda) so what necessary accessories should i be looking for?
    Someone told me to get screen protectors anything else.

Also i will need a car mounting arm - any suggestions.

Should i wait until more accessories are available to fit( and are more compatible with ) this device before i buy give it a month or two?

Thanks in advance
    M

macronot wrote:
    I'm really interested in buying this phone (tytn II)?

Where is a good/best place to buy? Is there anywhere in Ireland?

This is will be my first of this type of phone (never has a pda) so what necessary accessories should i be looking for?
    Someone told me to get screen protectors anything else.

Also i will need a car mounting arm - any suggestions.

Should i wait until more accessories are available to fit( and are more compatible with ) this device before i buy give it a month or two?

Thanks in advance
    M

Expansys and Clove off the top of my head for unlocked devices.

Accessories for pda-phones:
    1) A couple of screen protectors would be a good investment.

2) A decent sized micro-sdhc card (you can get 6-8gb micro-sdhc now AFAIK)- the device might come with a card already though.

3) Car-charger- may come with device.

4) Bluetooth headset

5) 3-in-1 styli (ie stylus with biro inside it)- handy for jotting down notes when you don't have a pen handy.

6) A case-probably comes with device though.

7) Proper headphones if you're into proper audio- the headphone slot on this device is mini-usb AFAIK so you'll need a mini-usb to 3.5mm adaptor as well for proper headphones. The device will come with its own propietary headphones though.

8) Decent sat-nav software- I expect Tomtom to work well with this device as it uses the same gps chip as the HTC Trinity. Don't think satnav comes with this device.

9) Car mount- check out makes like Arkon or Seidio (powered) in places like Expansys/Clove etc. You can get either suction or vent mounts.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
    HTH.

Bad news:
    Vodafone wrote:
    The V1615 is back with the manufacturer and you are looking at a couple of months at this stage for this handset to be ranged on our network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Lads I would hold off even considering the Kaiser (TYTN II) until it has be released for a few months as with all HTC devices it will go through a number of ROM releases until the get it right.

Also from what I hear the battery is not to good on it and is expected with the amount of items on it running even HSDPA is battery consuming as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

http://www.devicewire.co.uk/HTC-TYTN-II

Out now from site above

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭macronot

Well got this phone. It wonderful.

I'm currently on a O2 speakeasy account so this phone is costing me a fortune.

Was thinking of changing over to 3 Ireland they have the best data package. The sales rep was not sure if i could use the phone on there network.

Will 3 give me the setting to setup my phone or are the settings available anywhere? The sales rep said they don't do sim only contracts so i will have to get one of there phones. I didn't see anything in there terms and conditions about using a different handset with a 3 sims. Do you think there will be an issue there?

Thanks Guys for the excellent advise so far.
    M

Vodafone UK are doing this phone as the v1615 (or something.. can't remember the number exactly now).
    Saw a Voda branded version of it on another tech site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

macronot wrote:
    Well got this phone. It wonderful.

I'm currently on a O2 speakeasy account so this phone is costing me a fortune.

Was thinking of changing over to 3 Ireland they have the best data package. The sales rep was not sure if i could use the phone on there network.

Will 3 give me the setting to setup my phone or are the settings available anywhere? The sales rep said they don't do sim only contracts so i will have to get one of there phones. I didn't see anything in there terms and conditions about using a different handset with a 3 sims. Do you think there will be an issue there?

Thanks Guys for the excellent advise so far.
    M

Have you used the MMS yet if so could you post the O2 settings here please and thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

just got it myself and quite happy with it. Bit heavy though....

I'm waiting until O2 can add mobile broadband packages to voice SIMs to get the full use out of the device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 randombloke

Hi,

I've also got one of these. Have been looking at getting some sat nav software for it. It comes with tom tom and one free city map, but dublin isn't listed. I need to travel to europe soon so wanted to get a european set of maps. Have pretty much decided on route 66 with navteq maps. Was wondering will this work with this phone ans also does anyone know the cheapest place to get it or any other suggestions. Have it with o2 3G, working really well so far.

Advertisement