Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly strikes

Options
  • 30-08-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

It's damp and warm. Keep an eye out if you have an older hairy dog that might piddle on itself or have diarrhea. When the dogs defences are down it can happen in a matter of three hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

what are you on about ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

peasant wrote:
    what are you on about ? :confused:
    Basically flies laying their eggs in and around their anus. I'll leave the rest to your imagination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sorry, should have made myself clearer. I'm on about fly strikes in dogs. Doesn't happen much in Ireland, but its a worry for older dogs are poorly or who may soil themselves.

Google fly strike dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Our dogs are very much indoor dogs (at night anyway) ...there would be a nose strike (ours) before a fly strike could ever happen :D

But I see what you mean now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

it happens every summer with sheep, apart from this summer, it is way too cold!! ive never heard of it heppening with dogs, but ive seen hundreads of sheep (mainy lambs) die from it. they should be dipped every year to stop this happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Check your bunnies too as they can suffer from this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dontdoit

Yes, good advice it does happen in dogs and can go unnoticed in long coats, I lost my elderly dog to fly strike even thou she was completely spoilt house dog and had no diarrohea etc, do keep a look out with hairy dogs

Advertisement