Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia n95 maps

• 30-08-2007 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

hi all i have just bought a nokia n95 does anyone have any idea how to download the maps and get the sat nav working thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

The cheapest/easiest way is to install Nokia Map Loader from the software CD that came in the box - the black one. A new version of it was released in the past few days, so you could download the newer version from the Nokia website if you wanted.

It's easy enough to do. First go into the Maps application on your phone, and let it get a GPS lock. Then, connect the phone to your computer with the USB cable and open up Map Loader. It should give you a list of continents, with a submenu of countries for which you can download maps. It'll automatically transfer the maps that you select to download. It's important that you've used the Maps application on the phone before you do any of this.

You can use route planning and tracking for free, but to use "Navigation" with voice guidance you need to purchase a license from Nokia. The cost of the licence depends on what regions you want to use it for (UK and Ireland is about €8 a month I think). You can pay be credit card or by phone (using premium rate texts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭boogey man

thanks very much i will try that is any other option as in using the navtec maps available

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

The PC Map loader is the best option for downloading the maps without paying for 3g downloads, but I found their maps are missing alot of street names in Ireland. Yahoo maps and googlemaps have better maps.

It costs 99 euro to buy navigation option for Nokia Smart2go software for western europe.

If you want a better navigation solution with better maps, try Navigon for the N95, its better software, better interface, and better maps and only costs 99 euro for western europe.

I have opted for Navigon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Is anyone else having a problem locating satellites? Cant seem to get it find them. (outdoors with the slider down on a clear day)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

Even with the latest firmware agps enabled, it takes two or three mnutes to fix, but after that its fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ratminer

It's probably obvious to anyone who's here, but Nokia Maps basically works on any Symbian S60 3rd generation device. I've been trying it out on my E50 today and its really good. I'm using a Pharos bluetooth GPS module (I got with Microsoft Streets and Trips), used it on the bus from town to Rathmines and it tracked all the way. The whole damn thing is free which is excellent, and even more important you get worldwide maps (I'm in california next week and paris the week after and I have all the maps). basically this kicks ass.

I'm considering upgrading to the Navigation (for a month) which will dictate directions.

I've heard complaints about the N95 GPS so interested in any feedback on that, because I may upgrade. Also, I'll probably wait for the N95 8GB which should show up this year.

Ironically, I only got into this last week after seeing an iPhone in the flesh and wondering what 'my' phone can do (which essentially is kick iAss).

Advertisement