Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Is this broadband?

Options
  • 30-08-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I'm on IBB Breeze 2Mb (Clarion mast), and although this is can be explained away with the contention ratio, I just can't think of this is acceptable.

What do all of you on IBB get in terms of speed?

179310546.png
    179311827.png

I should mention that my speed fluctuate enormously, though tends to be low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it was IBB Ripwave in that area I would say it was good.

ADSL, Metro and cable users get between 1Mbps and 8Mbps depending on package etc.

IBB Breeze is normally a lot better than that. I'd contact IBB if I was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 singularity

watty wrote:
    IBB Breeze is normally a lot better than that. I'd contact IBB if I was you.

I used to have really good speeds, before the summer. Unfortunately, they have so far refused to acknowledge that anything is wrong with it. It's the contention they say.
    I asked them if they could send someone over to check from this end. They could do that, but it would cost me. (Ryanair-inspired customer service?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

first of all your using a speed testing site that test's from the arse holeof the states IIRC.

secondly most of these "speed tests" are nonsense.

if you are going to use one try one at least in ireland.

like http://www.irishisptest.com/

again all this test does, and we go through this here every 6 months and any other test will do is test your speed to downloading/uploading a file to that specific server NOTHING ELSE.

to add to this your speed test result isn't awful, it's probably what would be considered normal speed for a file coming from the arsehole of the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 singularity

ntlbell wrote:
    first of all your using a speed testing site that test's from the arse holeof the states IIRC.

secondly most of these "speed tests" are nonsense.

if you are going to use one try one at least in ireland.

like http://www.irishisptest.com/

again all this test does, and we go through this here every 6 months and any other test will do is test your speed to downloading/uploading a file to that specific server NOTHING ELSE.

to add to this your speed test result isn't awful, it's probably what would be considered normal speed for a file coming from the arsehole of the states.

I used two different servers in my post. I've tried the site you mention, the results from there are in line with what I posted here. I've done other tests as well, also in line.

Are you saying that the Galway and Dublin servers are not located in Ireland?

There's loads of people apparently happy with IBB, I'm just trying to figure out if it's my standards that are too high, or if other people actually get better service from IBB.

I used two different servers in my post. I've tried the site you mention, the results from there are in line with what I posted here. I've done other tests as well, also in line.

Are you saying that the Galway and Dublin servers are not located in Ireland?

There's loads of people apparently happy with IBB, I'm just trying to figure out if it's my standards that are too high, or if other people actually get better service from IBB.

speedtest.net is not in galway, the point is all the test does is give you an indication if you were to download or upload TO THAT SERVER what the speed would bet that's it, it doesn't tell you anything else.

people get it into their head that these "tests" are an exact science they're not.

They're a lot of people happy with IBB and a lot of people are not, I've been on both sides of the coin.

with wireless technlogy you are at the mercy of too many things.

your speed as I said doesn't look that bad for a 2mb line.

but your paying your bill not me so if your not happy, get an engineer out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Erm, those are kilobits per second! That is barely better than dual ISDN! But yeah, those sites are not completely reliable. Try downloading some decent torrent like this Ubuntu ISO - that should use all your bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

ntlbell wrote:
    speedtest.net is not in galway, the point is all the test does is give you an indication if you were to download or upload TO THAT SERVER what the speed would bet that's it, it doesn't tell you anything else.

They're a very good indication of what D/L and U/L speeds you are getting. Any tests I've run on speedtest have been mirrored by download speeds from FTP servers, Http servers and sending and receiving large files.
    with wireless technlogy you are at the mercy of too many things.

but your paying your bill not me so if your not happy, get an engineer out

Less than 200kbps looks good for a 2000kbps connection??????

I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

sorry I was reading it as kB/s my bad

yes you have serious problems lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm on IBB Breeze 2Mb (Clarion mast), and although this is can be explained away with the contention ratio, I just can't think of this is acceptable.

What do all of you on IBB get in terms of speed?

179310546.png
    179311827.png

I should mention that my speed fluctuate enormously, though tends to be low.

Heres my speed test results, I'm also on 2Mb:
    184525053.png

I think you need to get yours checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I get 1875 kb/s with IBB 2Mb breeze package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

184760660.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

IBB 3Mb
    148133001.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

IBB 3Mb too

184844302.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting IBB DSL Home Plus (2mb). Is it as good as advertised?
    It says no limits to download. how many Gb /month are acceptable in the "acceptable usage policy applies"?
    are there specific restrictions to usenet files downloads? and to torrents?

thanks

Joan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

185424339.png

my speed on ripwave i live in clondalkin:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanmacaoidh

Hi all
    I have been reading all the threads about IBB.
    I am thinking of changing in the near future to the 2 meg breeze wireless.
    Is there anyone out there from co Louth in particular from the Collon base station using the 2 meg breeze.
    What are your thoughts of it?
    Are you getting the correct speed as they are above in parts of Dublin?
    any help/thoughts would help.
    I am using digiweb from the same area but my upload is very very slow and I want to change my phone over and get rid of eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

When you do the test and it shows those results, are you downloading on P2P or torrent at the same time because these eat your bandwidth. If not then their is probably a problem with the radio recieving the signal. Also did a building go up recently or is there a tree near your house cos these also factor. Do you use a Router because someone could be stealing your internet next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

Do you use a Router because someone could be stealing your internet next door.

So if I get IBB dsl with a wireless modem, it is not protected against neighbours?
    the advertise the Netgear modem as safe, is it easy to break?

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

The one's that are supplied have encryption but some people don't have it on for some reason or another and this lets people log on. Any new modem/router will have built in wep or wpa encryption so you don't have to worry about people using the signal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You should also enable MAC locking too - it's very little hassle apart from looking up the hardware addresses of the computers connecting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement