Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrupted Downloads please help !!

Options
  • 30-08-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi i just got my broadband after waiting 2 years for it to become available and its causing me nothing but problems im new to all this so sorry if there are stupid questions.
    Any file i download programs like msn or avg route kit when i try and open them i get and error message saying corrupt or incomplete file.i also cant get into hotmail anyone got any ideas ive run avg and ad aware ,spybot and they havent found anything.
    im running xp sp2 and windows firewall and using firefox which i cant update either.can anyone help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Is hotmail the only website you can't get into?

Regarding corrupt or incomplete downloads: Are you sure the downloads are finished before attempting to open them? Broadband is fast but you do still sometimes have to wait for files.

What broadband have you got and what setup have you got (ie what modem, router etc if applicable)?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

yeah at hotmail is the only website i cant get into i get the login page then the goes like its loging in but the page never loads.

no im sure the files have finished downloading before i try and open them i tried to downlaod a few different file types rar files can open ok and video clips it just seems to be program that i cant open.

I have a netgear DM111p modem and im with irish broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

You said you used firefox, have you tried using Internet Explorer or some other browser?

Seems a fairly strange one.

yeah ive tried internet explorer as well am not to bothered about getting into hotmail but its a pain that i cant download anything without it being corrupt you think it could be a virus ive scanned my pc and cant find anything wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try removing the router temporarily and see if it works then , you will have to set the IP/mask/gateway/dns server manually on your pc.
    You should have got a page with all that on it when it was installed.

• Advertisement

i dont have a router just a modem i have also tired disabling the firewall but makes no difference.should i just give up and reinstall windows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Your windows installation has absolutely nothing to do with your downloading issues.

What your experiencing is a drop in your broadband service. Us with 3G see this every day. When large files are downloading, the the broadband service dies for a few seconds, your file stops downloading, stopping the download and leaving you with only a portion of the file.

Thats whats happening here.

It's a problem with your broadband provider. Anything you do to your install of windows will merely cause you more headaches, and in the end not fix anything.

Advertisement