Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to reinstall Windows XP ??

• 30-08-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, I've had a dell pc for roughly 4 years and its getting a little sluggish so I'm thinking about reinstalling windows xp on it... I have no idea how to or whats involved

... any help??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did you get a Windows XP disc with your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Ya i did, i have it stored safe & sound!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well Dell's often come with a recovery disc that will wipe the machine of it's exiting OS and restore it to the state when you first powered on the PC so thats one option.

Another is if you have the XP install CD and you can perform whats often called a "clean install" this is essentially wiping the OS from the computer and re-installing Windows manually. The advantage of this is that you can cut out any bloat or extras the Dell image includes in it's restore package so you avoid those but you must install all the drivers for your hardware after the install along with service packs etc.

The drivers can be located on Dell's website if you look up your model number/service tag.

There is a visual guide here on the clean install if you feel like giving it a go.

(Remember to first back up all your personal data onto something else like an external HD or DVD-R)

(If your XP CD does not have service pack 2 integrated then it would be a good idea to install that first once Windows is up and running before installing any drivers or you can slipstream SP2 into an XP CD as well)

I like the sound of the recovery disc, a bit less complicated ... that'll keep all the drivers and do just as good a job as reinstalling windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Pretty much yeah.

If you want to remove any of the Dell bundled extras (this does not include drivers) it can be done easily with this utility which automates the process. It will be near enough to a clean install as can be without actually doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

What sort of speed up can be expected from a reinstall? I have a 4 year old laptop that is slowing down a bit. For the most part it's not a problem but the boot up time is painfully slow. Is there a less work intensive option than reinstalling windows? I am assuming I would have to reinstall all my applications if I reinstalled windows?

Thanks 8T8 for the help, think i'll use the dell recovery disc and the utility you linked to (love the name of it!)
    Sound out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What sort of speed up can be expected from a reinstall? I have a 4 year old laptop that is slowing down a bit. For the most part it's not a problem but the boot up time is painfully slow. Is there a less work intensive option than reinstalling windows? I am assuming I would have to reinstall all my applications if I reinstalled windows?
    Better than now! Hard to say but things just run more smoothly. Yes, you'd need to install all programs again and restore documents you would have backed up before formatting. After this, it's a good idea to ghost your hard drive and restore the image whenever things slow down again.

Advertisement