Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 ex UK -rust?

Options
  • 30-08-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I,m considering buying a BMW 316 saloon ex UK 1998.I,m wondering if anyone could tell me if salt corrosion is a problerm on BMWs-and where to watch out for the dreaded rust.Anyone have experience of O Donovans Cars Ennis Road Limerick who imports from the UK and has a 316 Saloon in stock?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It could be.

Get a HPI and get the car up on a lift. Check fully. Bring a mechanic with you if need be.

No knowledge of seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I got a 316 from Liverpool and there was quite a bit of rust. There was a hole in the floor and I had to get a plate welded over it to pass the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mmassive

Check for rust in the boot where the spare wheel is and at the sides of the boot. Theres a bit of rust in my uk model.
    I've heard that O' Donovans are fairly good. The owner used to be a rally driver and drove Alfa's (I think!). Last week he quoted me 120 euro for a light service on my 318 coupe, which I thought was very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's feck all on my 02 320d (came to IReland in Jan 07 with 73k miles)

I've just replaced the suspension and had a quick look around. Only places there were bit's of rust was around the screw's but nothing major, not even the need for a breaker bar to loosen them, normal socket set did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Thanks for the info everyone-He says he,ll put it up on a lift and I,ll have a good look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I used to see a lot of E36 beamers for sale outside thier premises, any of them i looked at seemed like very clean cars usually sourced in the UK, I have a 320i of that age, no rust, the odd time I'd see a clean E36 around town and surprise, surprise, a sticker or plate surround from O Donovans.

no association with them btw.. best of luck with your search.

Just do the usual homework and you'll get a good un. Great choice to be had in the UK, most have good Service History and will be well kept..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I know a guy who did have a UK one which needed €2k of welding around the rear suspensions due to rust. Don't know much more than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

maidhc wrote:
    I know a guy who did have a UK one which needed €2k of welding around the rear suspensions due to rust. Don't know much more than that though.

Crikey! Was the rust damage obvious to the naked eye?

Advertisement