Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Rifle And Round

Options
  • 30-08-2007 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i was thinking of steping up in the world and moving to a centrefire,it will be used for fox and id like to do a bit off deer shooting,
    i like the 220 swift as a round and also heard good reports of the 22-250
    i wont be going for this gun for a wile prob christmas or a lil after and want to do my homework before choosing,

what im looking for is advise on other calibers which will do the same which might suit better in my case
    which rifle
    best rounds
    recomended scopes ect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If you are including Deer ... and want a versatile "Do it all " rifle ...
    A .243 is the way to go ... Well respected round , and plenty of variety both new and second hand..

The other I would consider is 6.5x55 , but thats a little heavy for fox.

22.250 is legal for deer at the moment , but that may change.
    A little extra ability is never a waste when you want clean shots.

A .220 Swift is a wonderful round , I had one and loved it to bits .
    Unfortunately it is not legal for deer.

So....,243 or 6.5x55 ....in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

jaycee wrote:
    If you are including Deer ... and want a versatile "Do it all " rifle ...
    A .243 is the way to go ... Well respected round , and plenty of variety both new and second hand..

The other I would consider is 6.5x55 , but thats a little heavy for fox.

22.250 is legal for deer at the moment , but that may change.
    A little extra ability is never a waste when you want clean shots.

A .220 Swift is a wonderful round , I had one and loved it to bits .
    Unfortunately it is not legal for deer.

So....,243 or 6.5x55 ....in that order.

The oracle has spoken :D I concur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cmd17hmr

thanks
    what price is the ammo on both of those calibres
    and which manufact would u think is best
    im looking to spend anywere in the region of 1500 on the rifle or am i aiming low with that,its not a gun that would be fired every day or even every week so i dont see the real need to spend thousands on a rifle,scope is different it can be swaped and changed to other rifles and even sold on so i dont mind the price of them you get what u pay for there

Good ammo for hunting approx €35 per 20 either calibre

Hornady, federal, remmington all amke good ammo in their quality lines

€1500 on rifle - Sako definately !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Don't forget a good scope and mounts!!

• Advertisement

would you get a sako for that money?

1500 was just a guide price which i was using i didnt know if id get 1 for that i might go down to the showroom in ardee to see what they have in the lines of sako

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

off topic but why isnt a swift deer legal it's more powerful than a /250 surely

Jonty wrote:
    Don't forget a good scope and mounts!!

dat goes without saying i think the glass is the most important part
    what mounts would you recomend
    i was thinking zeiss for scope their pricey but worth it in my opinion which isnt worth too much:confused:
    or a burris i was looking at them on a recent trip to the states but laws say i couldnt bring one home.

Rules

You cannot hunt deer in Ireland without a licence and the penalties for hunting deer without a licence can include fines and/or imprisonment, or both. You can only hunt deer for the period stated on your licence.

You must be over 16 years of age to hold a licence.

You may be of any nationality.

You must produce your licence if requested by any authorised person (an authorised person is a Garda or a conservation officer who is employed by NPWS).

Tampering with or defacing a deer hunting licence is an offence and penalties can involve fines/imprisonment or both.

If you wish to hunt deer on another person's land, you must show evidence of permission from the landowner when you apply for your licence.

You can apply for a licence during the open or closed season but you can only hunt deer when permitted. Applications may be processed faster during the closed season.

You must supply your firearm (gun) details when applying for a licence. The legal minimum requirement for a firearm to hunt deer is at least .220/.250 calibre and ammunition of 50 grain weight. All firearms in Ireland are registered and licensed.

You must supply your date of birth.

i found this in deer licence section of the www.citizensinformation.ie page so i guess your right psittacosis

cmd17hmr wrote:
    would you get a sako for that money?

1500 was just a guide price which i was using i didnt know if id get 1 for that i might go down to the showroom in ardee to see what they have in the lines of sako

Retail at around that price

Zeiss brilliant optics, I rate them as best there is, and i don't have one yet, but I've seen a few, and they outclass everything else out there

• Advertisement

I believe with a 55grain bullet it slightly exceedes the power limit set for shooting deer but the calibre isn't on the approved calibre list with Duchas, Minimum 22/250 but I believe they advise minimum 243

cheers bunny i found a site in england i got a bushnell banner for my 17 off them before for half the price i could get it here and it was at my door within 4 days
    i think the site is www.opticswarehouse.co.uk
    worth the look
    they have a great selection

cmd17hmr wrote:
    cheers bunny i found a site in england i got a bushnell banner for my 17 off them before for half the price i could get it here and it was at my door within 4 days
    i think the site is www.opticswarehouse.co.uk
    worth the look
    they have a great selection

had a banner myself, lovely scope. I like bushnell's, paid €400 for one I had. Must have a look on that site myself.

Cheers.

;)

i got mine over for 175 euro p&p included i tink definatly wasnt ovet that
    they are a great scope and have great clarity in the low light conditions
    let me know wat u tink price wise i think they have good deals

cmd17hmr wrote:
    i got mine over for 175 euro p&p included i tink definatly wasnt ovet that
    they are a great scope and have great clarity in the low light conditions
    let me know wat u tink price wise i think they have good deals

Golly, that's a good price !!!!! Shows where the dealers are making their money. approx €225 profit, not bad, and I got it at a cash price ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I believe with a 55grain bullet it slightly exceedes the power limit set for shooting deer but the calibre isn't on the approved calibre list with Duchas, Minimum 22/250 but I believe they advise minimum 243

.220swift is not approved by NPWS. .22/250 with a 55 grain head minium round permitted on deer.

I personally use Sako 75, 6.5x55 with norma 120gr BT but am in the process of changing to a Rem 700 Alaskan Ti .25/06 for flatter shooting over longer ranges.117gr BT out to 350yrds. I would only use .22/250 on Fallow head shots or in close quaters.

However deer don't always let you get that close. .22/250 for Fallow O.K but if you want to shoot Reds ( if you can) this may not have the knock down power required.

It all depends on what your hunting and optimium game weight. .22/250 and .243 are grat long varmint and short range fallow calibers but I would prefer something slightly heavier as my personal preference as I get alot of long range deer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

.220swift is not approved by NPWS. .22/250 with a 55 grain head minium round permitted on deer.

I personally use Sako 75, 6.5x55 with norma 120gr BT but am in the process of changing to a Rem 700 Alaskan Ti .25/06 for flatter shooting over longer ranges.117gr BT out to 350yrds. I would only use .22/250 on Fallow head shots or in close quaters.

However deer don't always let you get that close. .22/250 for Fallow O.K but if you want to shoot Reds ( if you can) this may not have the knock down power required.

It all depends on what your hunting and optimium game weight. .22/250 and .243 are grat long varmint and short range fallow calibers but I would prefer something slightly heavier as my personal preference as I get alot of long range deer.

Advertisement