Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

request for charter change

Options
  • 30-08-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I am fairly sure people have asked for this before but I think the charter and rules against criticism of jokes should be changed. I think it is bullshít that you can't criticise bad jokes. I agree with the rule where you can't tell people off for posting jokes that were posted before (afterall most good jokes have been posted before), but not being able to tell someone their joke wasn't funny is bullcrap! posters should be able to take criticism, it's part and parcel of telling jokes. does anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well that wasn't very funny at all!

Could try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

:D

but do you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Look in feedback
    Hagar is already working this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

As a wagon without a band, i insist i jump on.

*ducks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

biko wrote:
    Look in feedback
    Hagar is already working this
    I can't find the thread, could you link me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

should be ok to critisize after you tell a better one, or better still two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I think crap joke tellers should get a week ban.

That'll put just about everybody in the bin except the bloke with the teddy bear joke. that was class.

and we should have a sticky for cream cracker jokes.

They're my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Yeah well if your criticism is funny then ok, but only for seasoned posters, no flaming newbies or they will never post again, how about you are not allowed criticise someone who has under 50 posts? That way at least you know that they have an idea of how boards work and they should be able to handle the criticism better, but any "thats old - burn him!!!, or "that joke is older than me grans arse" should not be allowed, (actually the last one is not bad) - but how about a witty critique? Just like The Bollox does....

Here's a good joke. Go to PI forum. Thread called 'it hurts'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ok here it is. I'm going to leave out poster names to save emabrassment, I would ask that you follow suit.

A week ago someone posted a joke that had been posted before, it wasn't the best joke in the world but I've told worse. A little later two posters made post within a minute of each other. Poster "A" posted another oldish joke in the same vein and Poster "B" ripped the pi$$ out of the OP. Poster "A" immediately deleted their joke for fear of ridicule*. Poster "B" got a week's holiday. Time served, Poster "B" is back and all is forgiven, as it should be. Trouble is I haven't seen anything from Poster "A" since.

Have we lost a poster for good? Have we lost others the same way? You tell me.

/Edit Link to the thread in Feedback

* FYI Forum mods can still access deleted posts on their own forum, usually they are double posts or something equally innocent so we do not interfere.

• Advertisement

Its 8am Hagar.
    Not awake enough yet to follow all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Criticising jokes is not the problem.Posting short little "thats crap" type messages is the problem. If you are going to criticise someone, engage your brain first, and maybe try to explain why you thought the joke or whatever merits unfavourable attention. Nobody ever got banned for explaining why they had a different opinion from the poster on the merits of their humourous posting.
    Maybe you want us to edit the charter to go through a step by step process on how to reply to a thread depending on what you thought of a post on a scale of, say, 1 to 5. Ooops, isn't that what the rating system is for ?

Bio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

BioHazRd wrote:
    If you are going to criticise someone, engage your brain first

"I don't think that the personification of the duck in the joke's main theme was sufficiently becoming of the pseudo-subtext on the joke's underlining humour."

Bollocks to that.

"That's ****e!"

thought better of last post and edited

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The mod's current set-up is the best possible IMHO

Advertisement