Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When best to tell the family and friends?

Options
  • 30-08-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

The partner is pregnant. we are not sure when is the best time to tell the family and friends. What is the usual course - wait until after the scan - to be sure to be sure or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

10 weeks is often mentioned - but it's really down to when ye feel ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Congratulations! Whenever you feel ready as noby said. It's a very personal decision. Just make sure if you're telling people that both of you are comfortable telling that person at a particular time. We told close family very early on (as soon as doc had confirmed it) but I'd be wary/superstitious of telling too many people (ie friends, rest of the relations, everyone you know) until after the first trimester has safely passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

We told our immediate families and close friends very early (as in, when we found out) mainly because either way we were going to need support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭D Bronc

Id say wait until shes passed the three month period and after that whenever you feel ready (or whenever she starts "showing"):p

Best of luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

warrenaldo wrote:
    The partner is pregnant. we are not sure when is the best time to tell the family and friends. What is the usual course - wait until after the scan - to be sure to be sure or what?
    Congrats: I heard three months, for various reasons. Time to get used to it yourselves, baby is in or past first trimester etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's popular to wait until the first trimester is over before making a pregnancy public knowledge, mostly because that is usually the riskiest time & also some women will start to show shortly into the second trimester but really it is entirely up to yourselves. Congratulations, by the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Congratulations on your very exciting news!!

12 weeks (or the first trimester) is the popular view on this but at the end of the day it's really up to how you both feel about telling people.

Best of luck with the pregnance btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

We told our parents almost immediately. And then waited for 12weeks before revealing it to everyone else. Purely because of the shock of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Congratulations. As the other posters said 12 weeks is the common waiting period but we told parents earlier than that, if anything bad was to happen we would tell them anyway.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you tell everyone very early on it can seem like a very long pregnancy, if only a handful of people know early on then every conversation you have for the first couple of months is not pregnancy related...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I agree with Linford. Especially where other small children are involved. Unless you want to be asked a million times 'When's the baby coming?'

Oh, and congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭simona

it depends on you.i was very tiny and my friends only saw when i was 7months.not kidding.but once you tell your friends,it's soo much easier! you get the support and attention that you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hubby and I told family and friends as soon as we knew. We were too excited to keep it to ourselves and work colleagues guessed as I'd suddenly gone off tea and coffee and started getting a bit confused

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

:D
    deisemum wrote:
    Hubby and I told family and friends as soon as we knew. We were too excited to keep it to ourselves and work colleagues guessed as I'd suddenly gone off tea and coffee and started getting a bit confused
    :D

OT I know but I had completely forgotten about the pregnancy confusion - made me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

Oh its a tough one but its really personal choice !!!
    I had to tell some people early (parents first of course) but then i was admitted to hospital with my diabetes so had to tell my boss and some pals so i wouldnt go mad with boredom in hospital. We had a scan at 6 weeks which reassured us. I had to tell my sibling at 8 weeks because we had a half planned big fat wedding that i had no energy or time to plan and we badly needed help :D then after a fab 10wk scan we told the rest of the family and then told everyone at 12 weeks.

Soooo as you can see, you tell whoever whenever you feel like it :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Another advocate of whoever you want whenever you feel like it. We told our family and friends after our 8 week scan and then just let it filter out to other friends of ours from then on.
    Here in Oz people tend to tell everyone straight away. What will be will be seems to be the philosophy and they are so right.

MrsA.

P.S. congratulations!!

Advertisement