Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving other peoples cars via a full licence and open drive 3rd party only

• 30-08-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some info.
    I have a full licence, does this mean I can drive other peoples cars with 3rd party cover only?
    What happens if i crash the persons car im driving, is it mine or the owners insurance policy that is in trouble?

Do i need an insurance policy of my own to drive other peoples cars? Example: If i dont own a car, can i drive my uncles car via my full licence and his permission, or have i to be named on the policy specifically or does he just get open drive cover.

Whats the proper term for what i am describing, is it "open drive" insurance, but theres also another term i remember hearing which meant a similar type of thing.

Do any insurance companies give you a discount for insuring 2 seperate cars with them as 2 seperate policies which is what I may end up doing?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Your dead right. Full insured and you can drive any car wherever you like.

Enjoy the freedom of using any car. Works great for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Get the person to check with their insurer:

Its an option on Hibernian policies:

http://www.hibernian.ie/HibPublicSite/HibPublicSite/insurance/motor_ins.jsp
    Open driving - with open driving you can allow any driver aged 25 to 70 to drive your car once they have a full EU licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

It must be specified on the policy.

You cannot get more cover than 3rd party when driving someone else's car.

Doesn't cover you on motorbikes - unfortunately!!

Richie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

corglass wrote:
    Your dead right. Full insured and you can drive any car wherever you like...

What do you mean by "full insured"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It depends with each other's policy

'Open Drive' mean's that anyone over 25 with a full license can drive the INSURED car 3rd party

'Drive others cars' applies to YOUR policy, stating that you can drive other peoples cars 3rd party once you are not the owner etc.

Check with the insurance company before you drive anything, don't assume anything, and definately don't take someone's from here word for it, saying 'But a stranger on boards.ie told me I was insured' won't hold up much in court if yer done for driving with no insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, the name is "open drive", and the other person's car must have a policy with open drive on it, in order for you to drive it.

Most open drive policies require that the driver is of a certain age (25/26 or sometimes even 30), and may also have other conditions attached to it such as length of holding licence, usage type/length/area, etc.

Some open drive policies also require that the person driving your car has their own insurance policy on a different car (this is to stop people with 15 accidents in the last year from jumping into a car they're insuring).
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Do any insurance companies give you a discount for insuring 2 seperate cars with them as 2 seperate policies which is what I may end up doing?
    Rarely. Insurance companies aren't into discounts in this country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nuttzy wrote:
    ...Do any insurance companies give you a discount for insuring 2 seperate cars with them as 2 seperate policies which is what I may end up doing?.....

It may be possible to have them under 1 policy. It works for classic cars.

It is possible to get comp. cover on any car, regardless of ownership/engine size/performance, subject to an agreed valuation limit. It would be very expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

FBD told me if i take out any policy with them, ill be covered for "open drive" allowing me to drive other peoples cars once you`re aged 25 and have a full licence. This applies to their 3rdPF+T and full comp policies according to the woman in the office when i called in.

Basically, im going to insure my commuting car with 1 company as my own car, etc.....
    But i want to find the cheapest way of insuring my wkend sporty car, im looking into putting it in my uncles name and getting him to insure it along with his jeep (i need to be able to drive the jeep too) and Ill then drive my wkend car under the open drive of my policy on my main car or something like that. It has gotten a bit confusing i agree. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have open driving on my policy with FBD. This insures anyone over 25 comprehensively on my car. I am also insured to drive cars I don't own, albeit third party only.

Anan1 wrote:
    I have open driving on my policy with FBD. This insures anyone over 25 comprehensively on my car. I am also insured to drive cars I don't own, albeit third party only.

So basically you got a Fully Comp policy and when you allow other people whom are over 25 and have their licence they are also covered fully comp or at least the car is covered full comp when they`re driving it. Yeah, i think thats actually what she explained to me too, but then she confused me with a load of other waffle.

Do you know what way it works regarding a 3rdPF+T policy under Fbd, can others drive it when over 25. The woman i was speaking said they are but i`d like to see the policy terms and conditions under the 3rdPF+T policies.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I don't know. On my policy, under 'Drivers or classes of drivers whose driving is covered' it says; 'The Insured', then under that: 'any person between the ages of 25 and 71 years inclusive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I have open drive on my car. But what I didn't know is that the open drive applies to the Car and NOT me, therefore anybody over 20 with a full licence may drive my car fully comprehensively insured.

I was a tad confused so phoned them again to clear it up and yes it definitely applies to my car on my insurance policy.

nialler wrote:
    I have open drive on my car. But what I didn't know is that the open drive applies to the Car and NOT me, therefore anybody over 20 with a full licence may drive my car fully comprehensively insured.

I was a tad confused so phoned them again to clear it up and yes it definitely applies to my car on my insurance policy.

Interesting! Who is your insurer do you mind me asking? And did you mean to say the age of 20 and not 25, even better if its 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Campion & Sparrow in Portlaoise (heard about them from a Chauffer friend of mine) they're a brokers, insurer is sun alliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It all depends on the insurance cert of your own policy or of the policy covering the car you want to drive.

Anything is possible, my da had insurance on his car before - third party for anyone driving if they had any Class B license ( full or provo) any age

it'll be like what anan quoted on the insurance cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep i have ''Driving other peoples cars'' extention on me policy, im 20 and full licence, so i can drive anything TPF&T.

I'm with AXA

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    Yep i have ''Driving other peoples cars'' extention on me policy, im 20 and full licence, so i can drive anything TPF&T.

I'm with AXA

-VB-
    Are you sure its not just 3rd party only and not Fire and Theft? Have you the exact terms of your policy handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Nuttzy wrote:
    Are you sure its not just 3rd party only and not Fire and Theft? Have you the exact terms of your policy handy.

110% Sure

-VB-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apples and oranges here.

'Open drive' is an option on a car's insurance policy which allows other licensed drivers (age limits apply) to drive that car with the owner's permission.

'Driving other cars' is often standard on your policy, which allows you to drive other cars (which you do not own), with the owner's permission, but only with 3rd party cover. Usually, the other car has to have it's own policy as well.

Your uncle may be doing you a favour, but he would not be doing himself any. He could be leaving himself open to claims which might not be covered by his insurance policy.

Remember too that 'your' car would have to be registered in his (or his company's) name.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Volvoboy wrote:

I'm with AXA

-VB-

The theft part is unusual, normally it is only third party on other cars. The reason the theft wouldn't be there is that it would already be covered by the owners policy. i.e. You borrow a friend's car to go to the shops and the car is stolen while you are in the shop. That would be covered by the owner's policy and not yours...

• Advertisement

Linford wrote:
    The theft part is unusual, normally it is only third party on other cars. The reason the theft wouldn't be there is that it would already be covered by the owners policy. i.e. You borrow a friend's car to go to the shops and the car is stolen while you are in the shop. That would be covered by the owner's policy and not yours...

I'm sure he means third party only.

One of the basic tenants of insurance is that you cannot insure someone else's risk. The point of insurance is to insure you against *loss*, not to just give you money when something goes wrong.

With this in mind, the policies have certain limitations:

Open drive: Other people driving your vehicle are insured against any third-party claims which may arise against them while driving your car. If the driver crashes and breaks their iPod, they can't claim from your insurance. If your vehicle is burnt or stolen, then *you* can claim under *your* policy. If the other driver crashes your car, normally you cannot claim under your policy for damage to your car, and the driver cannot claim for his own personal injuries - you cannot insure him against injury to himself.

Driving other cars: Almost exactly the same, except you're the guy whose policy is on the line. You're insured against all 3rd party claims while driving the other car. If the car is damaged or you are injured, you cannot claim (the car isn't your loss). If the car is burnt or stolen due to your negligence, you cannot claim.

This kind of thing has come up before.

Young person wants to drive a fast car, but cannot afford insurance. He/she buys cheap runabout, and insures that normally in their own name. They buy the fast car, but register that in someone else's name (sometimes a garage buddy with a trade policy). They then drive the fast car every day under the "other car" clause on the runabouts policy.

Volvoboy wrote:
    110% Sure

-VB-

No offence but I reckon you should double check the policy wording. Other vehicle cover is always third party only.

No offence but I reckon you should double check the policy wording. Other vehicle cover is always third party only.
    It can't be any other way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

I'm with Quinn Direct and since I got my full license I have "open drive", I think its standard on their policies as all my friends have the same thing.

Pep wrote:
    I'm with Quinn Direct and since I got my full license I have "open drive", I think its standard on their policies as all my friends have the same thing.
    I've always thought of open drive as allowing other people to drive my car with comprehensive cover. Covering me TP to drive other cars is simply what it says.

This kind of thing has come up before.

Young person wants to drive a fast car, but cannot afford insurance. He/she buys cheap runabout, and insures that normally in their own name. They buy the fast car, but register that in someone else's name (sometimes a garage buddy with a trade policy). They then drive the fast car every day under the "other car" clause on the runabouts policy.

Yeah, thats basically what im trying to do but in a roundabout sort of way. My situation is as follows: I can insure my cars for the following prices:

Sporty car for E1100 TPf+t
    Daily commuting diesel car for E450
    These quotes are for 2 seperate policies with the same insurance company.

I can afford to pay them prices no bother, but the sporty car is genuinely my wkend/hobby car and i dont feel like paying E1000 to do 5000miles in it a yr if even.

So, im gonna insure my commuter for E450,,,, register the other car in my uncles name, get it insured in his name which will only cost about 4/500 under his name/details. Ill then drive the sporty car wkends or whenever via my open drive policy or his open drive policy and ill have saved E500 which will pay for a yrs tax. :D

Thats my logic anyway!

It was sort of mentioned in an above post that my uncle could be leaving himself open to claims that he may not be covered for? I dont understand this, if he has open drive then if i drive the sporty car any damage i do to other people will be covered under the 3rd Party only cover i`d have from my open driver policy, yeah? There will be literally no one else driving the sporty car but me, so my uncle will only have me to worry about regarding that car.

Can someone confirm to me,,, if i crash the car whilst its registered in my uncles name and im driving it via open drive who`s Ncb will be affected, mine or his?

His NCB will be affected. You're covered by his policy under the open drive clause, so if you make a claim then his NCB is lost.

What you're proposing is essentially fraud, and if the insurance company found out (through whatever means), they could refuse to pay out on any third party claims and refuse to provide you with insurance in the future.

seamus wrote:
    His NCB will be affected. You're covered by his policy under the open drive clause, so if you make a claim then his NCB is lost.

What you're proposing is essentially fraud, and if the insurance company found out (through whatever means), they could refuse to pay out on any third party claims and refuse to provide you with insurance in the future.

Its not really fraud though, if i transfer the car into his name and get an insurance policy for it in his name, thats all legal.
    Then if i drive the car via open drive, thats all legal too, as long as i get a policy with that feature.

All the above is legal and the insurance company cant say that just because i used own the car and now my uncle owns the car, that i was up to something, its impossible to proove that and even if they do, it`ll still be all legal and properly covered.

• Advertisement

Nuttzy wrote:
    Its not really fraud though, if i transfer the car into his name and get an insurance policy for it in his name, thats all legal.
    Not necessarily. The open drive would specifically require that the person driving the vehicle doesn't own the vehicle. Just because your uncle's name is on the reg. cert, that doesn't legally mean he's the owner of the vehicle. It is of course a matter of proving it, but factually it's fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

As part of our car insurance cover we offer:

* Named driver experience discount*
    * Easy monthly payment option
    * Loss of keys cover
    * Personal accident cover**
    * Medical expenses**
    * Hotel expenses**
    * Audio equipment
    * New car replacement
    * Generous no claims discounts
    * Protected maximum no claims bonus option
    * Step-back no claims discount as standard
    * Low claims excess
    * Open drive option
    * Driving other cars extension***
    * European use (93 days)
    * Courtesy car when using approved repairer
    * Optional windscreen cover

* Available to first time policy holders only.
    ** Comprehensive cover only.

*** Applies to most policies. Cover is subject to the terms & conditions of the policy document.

Thats what they offer, I assume what they wouldn't cover you if you work with cars as part of your occupation e.g a panel beater. I also assume you need a full license. So am I right in sayin that with this extension you can drive any other car you want so long as:

The car is not owned by you.
    Its owner has their own policy on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

According to their policy booklet, you must have a full EU license and the car must not be owned by you. It doesn't mention any other restrictions.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Yeah, thats basically what im trying to do but in a roundabout sort of way. My situation is as follows: I can insure my cars for the following prices:

Sporty car for E1100 TPf+t
    Daily commuting diesel car for E450
    These quotes are for 2 seperate policies with the same insurance company.

I can afford to pay them prices no bother, but the sporty car is genuinely my wkend/hobby car and i dont feel like paying E1000 to do 5000miles in it a yr if even.

So, im gonna insure my commuter for E450,,,, register the other car in my uncles name, get it insured in his name which will only cost about 4/500 under his name/details. Ill then drive the sporty car wkends or whenever via my open drive policy or his open drive policy and ill have saved E500 which will pay for a yrs tax. :D

Thats my logic anyway!

It was sort of mentioned in an above post that my uncle could be leaving himself open to claims that he may not be covered for? I dont understand this, if he has open drive then if i drive the sporty car any damage i do to other people will be covered under the 3rd Party only cover i`d have from my open driver policy, yeah? There will be literally no one else driving the sporty car but me, so my uncle will only have me to worry about regarding that car.

Can someone confirm to me,,, if i crash the car whilst its registered in my uncles name and im driving it via open drive who`s Ncb will be affected, mine or his?

Your own ncb I think.

It's a clever idea, but is fatally flawed. On your uncles insurance proposal for the sporty car he'll be asked "are you the main driver" of the car.

Any knowingly incorrect answer can invalidate cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Stark wrote:
    According to their policy booklet, you must have a full EU license and the car must not be owned by you. It doesn't mention any other restrictions.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need clarification here please.

Does the other car need to be insured in order its ok for me to drive it with 3rd party cover from my policy?

I'm with Quinn Direct and am in a fix as I was stopped by Gards while taking my wife's car which wasn't insured for an NCT. My policy doesn't state the other car needs to be insured.

Can anyone help please.

cheers

666bxg wrote:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need clarification here please.

Does the other car need to be insured in order its ok for me to drive it with 3rd party cover from my policy?

I'm with Quinn Direct and am in a fix as I was stopped by Gards while taking my wife's car which wasn't insured for an NCT. My policy doesn't state the other car needs to be insured.

Can anyone help please.

cheers
    Well, i always thought the other car had to be owned by someone else and have its own insurance policy.
    Get 1 of your friends to ring Quinn Direct and ask them that question specifically, or ring yourself and give a false name, say you`re just looking for info on the policy before getting a quote off them or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jasonpbmw

the car doesnt have to be insured because its your policy thats covering you on it, if your wife owns the car your own policy does not cover you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hi Jason,

Please don't bump old threads. Start a new one if you want.

Read the charter.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement