Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 GPRS bill

• 30-08-2007 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

got a bill for €1560 for a month for just checking my email onb my phone , forgive me if im wrong but just looking at something is browsing yeah ?? and not downloading

well i refuse to pay it and they can stick it where the sun dont shine , was just wondering has anybody been charged like this and refused to pay ? what happened

they have my old address , as i moved within a month of getting the phone and its against the law to go to third party to get info of where i live now data protection act , my attitude is they cant do anything to me unless they find me

anybody else have probs with rip off o2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

I know, it crazy. Buy if you divide up the 1560 euro by ther price per kb and the divide that by 30days you'll find it doesn't take a huge amount of downloading to rank up a hugh bill. The mobile internet is very very expensive.

So expensive I moved to prepay after bill because I couldn't keep track on it.

Try to play innocent with o2 and expalin you'd no idea of charges bacause i think it'll catch up with you if you run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

got a bill for €1560 for a month for just checking my email onb my phone , forgive me if im wrong but just looking at something is browsing yeah ?? and not downloading

If you are "browsing" the pages just don't magically appear on the phone, they have to be downloaded. Crazy bill, you must have being doing a lot of browsing or looking at web pages with lots of graphics and not looking at wap or pda pages? What phone have you?
    well i refuse to pay it and they can stick it where the sun dont shine , was just wondering has anybody been charged like this and refused to pay ? what happened

they have my old address , as i moved within a month of getting the phone and its against the law to go to third party to get info of where i live now data protection act , my attitude is they cant do anything to me unless they find me

anybody else have probs with rip off o2

Don't know if they'll find you but it's the wrong attitude. It's not a nice bill but you did accumulate it. You'll be blacklisted, don't know what forms of ID you used when subscribing but that could come back to bite you in the ass later on! What if a summons is sent to your old address and you don't appear in court? Do the gardai then not have the power to track you down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Why did you open another thread with a different bill amount??
    long story short ok

been a existing o2 customer with average bills of €200 per month for 2 years

and recently my internet at home was down so i checked my mail on my phone and next of all i get a bill for €2069 for a month in the post ?????

smells funny...

And to answer your question, you need to download data in order to browse the internet.
    You were quite foolish IMO to rack up such a high bill while being ignorant to the costs involved.
    O2 have every right (and most certainly will) chase you with a debt collection agency.
    Await the phone calls / letters...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Ask them can they charge you according to the data tariffs. I know you are supposed to sign up for them in advance but they might make an exception in this case. With these tariffs it costs arount €1 per MB...

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Data+pricing/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

they'll get you alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

don't bother paying it if you never plan to get a loan or a credit card again.

All you can do is call o2 and appeal to their better nature. Ask to speak to someone senior and explain you had no idea of the cost and that they'll make a lot more money by your continued business than this bill and a cancelled contract. You might end up having to pay it though because you did incur the charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Anthony_1980

my attitude is **** em

i own my car no loan and have own house so i dont need loands and my old man has own business so if i was that stuck could always ask him for a few bob,

you can only be black listed for 3 years then its wipped clean

i dont live at old address ok and against the law to get new address from somewhere else so if they cant find you what can they do ???

yes if a summons comes to the door i'll send it back with a note saying , person no longer lives at address , as i dont , my brother owns the house , plus so many worse things out there than this , ie drugs , drink driving , police dont have the man power to be doing this

i know a bloke who maxed out credit card in 3 days and he has been moved around by social welfare so many times that he got a few letters etc then stopped

if worst comes to worst i'll say i dont live aty adress and brother just puts old post in bin so i never got them , and then pay €10 a month as they cant do anything as long as u make an effort

the €1560 was for 1 month and €509 wa sfor 7 days of next month

as when u check balance online it takes a few days to update so when i see it i stopped using it

Data 25 €19.99 for usage up to 25MB that works out at €111.94 for using 140 mb like they say i did

regardless of wheter i signed up for this deal

its extorsion

dial up internet for 24/7 x 31 days in month wouldnt even come to that and they charge for a poxy 2 inch screen

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The police wont be after you. A debt collecting agency will. And it will be very much in their interest to find you!

Why can't your father sort you out so, then?

no offence, but from your tone it sounds like you racked this bill up, and now just want to get out of something you legitimately owe...

i used to be able to check email on phone few years ago and never charged

so i though same this time

i pay all my bills , but that is ridiculous , collection company cant do anything unless they find you

my old man doesnt know about it , my business not him plus i meant if i ever needed a loan for legitimate reasons no hassel but i wouldnt say

dad any chance of €2069 for phone bill ??? he's go spare

there a rip off and not enough people stand up to em

if it goes to court believe me every paper and radio station will hear about this , bad publicity they wont want that , i'll make sure people know the extorsion they get away with by using scare tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

if it goes to court believe me every paper and radio station will hear about this , bad publicity they wont want that , i'll make sure people know the extorsion they get away with by using scare tactics

Mobile phone company in charging advertised prices shocker!

Yeah, they will really feel the heat on that one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You used a service and now are required to pay for it.
    The charges were advertised to you, and it was your obligation to understand and be aware of them before you used it.

It never fails to amaze me how many people claim they're being 'ripped off', yet they either had different / cheaper* options available, or were too ignorant to check how much it was going to cost beforehand.

I think you'll find Joe Duffy and many of his listeners will sway with O2 on this one.... myself and many boardsies included.

(*if you just wanted email, why not get a blackberry? You used the wrong device / service for the job).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I really think you should stop using terms like "rip off" and "extortion" when its becoming quite clear the company in question hasn't done anything wrong. Phone companies do plenty morally implorable things but this isn't one.

I don't work for a debt collection agency, but I am pretty sure there are many ways to find someone dodging this type of bullet. These companies make their money that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

GPRS usage and rip off prices have been discussed here for ages, I wonder why people still use this outdated service like I wonder why people ask advice on a dubious email or text message they received which is obviously a scam.

Using email and web browsing is cheap if you just get a 3 phone and the unlimited add on thing they do.

its not rocket science.

collection company cant do anything unless they find you
    Its their job to find you and they're quite good at it
    there a rip off and not enough people stand up to em
    I Stand up to it by not using gprs. Maybe you should have done the same
    every person who has a problem like this thinks they're the only person its ever happened to. Rest assured you're not the first person to get a large gprs bill and you won't be the last.

O2 has done nothing wrong here. The prices were advertised on the website and you could have chosen not to use the service. You didn't and now you owe them money.

Trying to hide will only hurt yourself because it'll hurt your credit rating and you'll have to pay what you owe plus the debt collector fee WHEN they find you. Your only course of action here is to call o2 and plead

also i assume you don't mind losing your number if you plan to screw o2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

You used the service extensively and now you've been asked to pay for it. If you were using it that much then it would have made sense to check the rates in advance and get an idea of how much it would cost you.
    The rates for GPRS may well be ridiculous but O2 didn't hold a gun to your head and force you to use the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

legs11 wrote:
    GPRS usage and rip off prices have been discussed here for ages, I wonder why people still use this outdated service like I wonder why people ask advice on a dubious email or text message they received which is obviously a scam.

Using email and web browsing is cheap if you just get a 3 phone and the unlimited add on thing they do.

its not rocket science.

legs11 in "championing of three" shocker.

Incidentally legs what happened to your famous debt may i ask.

:D

well, I am quiet happy with the add on thing they have, I can use my n73 for pretty much any thing now, bbc, gmail, EFC.com everything.

as for my bill, well I have no idea really, I am away from home for the last month, I have a solicitors letter and I have not yet given it to three.

they just stopped writing to me...the debt collectors, then my mum says they wrote again , but not the debt collectors, just the usual 3 address...

in any event I am not paying squat to them. I got far too much on my mind now, like learning Japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

if the debt collection agency use stubbs gazzette it won't just be your credit rating damaged but anyone using your brothers house address.

Don't be a prick, own up and make a deal with the phone company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

GRPS costs are exorbitant, however as IrishSpeedTraps said the heavy data user tariffs are only 10% of the basic one, so you should aim to negotiate to have the bill recalculated on one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You ran up a bill, you have to pay the price. Simply saying that you're not paying amounts to theft if you follow through.

If you feel hard done by then ring up O2 and see if someone can help you out. Networks have been known to waive portions of bills etc, but of course there's no guarentee.

you could also ask them if you could pay it over a few months or something, again though .. not sure how this would work out and I guess this would be a case by case too.

It's your bill, you used it, pay the price!

Just my 2 cents ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

legs11 wrote:
    :D

well, I am quiet happy with the add on thing they have, I can use my n73 for pretty much any thing now, bbc, gmail, EFC.com everything.

as for my bill, well I have no idea really, I am away from home for the last month, I have a solicitors letter and I have not yet given it to three.

they just stopped writing to me...the debt collectors, then my mum says they wrote again , but not the debt collectors, just the usual 3 address...

in any event I am not paying squat to them. I got far too much on my mind now, like learning Japanese.

Legs, you are priceless.......the best post of yours in ages :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

well whatll happen is o2 will contact you repeatedly by phone and letter advising of the due date of the payment,then your account will be suspended,more letters,then cancelled,if you're in contract expect another fee on top of the current one as you'll have to pay your remaining line rental (but only if youre in contract) after the account is cancelled it will go to debt recovery,then to collections agency and once that happens o2 basically wash their hands of the debt, needless to say the collections agency WILL track you down,its what they do,and you'll have to appear in court and pay legal fees, or you could just pay it off im instalments, o2 customer care can work out a payment plan for you so its your choice really, ive dealt with calls about this kind of thing before,mostly roaming gprs and they may agree to meet you halfway or arrange something else for you

Nice to have a loyal supporter cula.......:p

legs11 wrote:
    Nice to have a loyal supporter cula.......:p

The whole of Ireland is complaining about 3 data and you think it's wonderful and have no problems :-)

How do you say "you rock" in Japanese??

Now back to this non-topic......

so many pricks on here its unreal , always so negative

i used this service before on old phone a few years ago and never got charged , so needless to say didnt think there was a charge

regardless of if i used it or not ok

why do people stand by and let these c**ts charge the earth for a **** service , it isnt the first time o2 have ripped people off , why dont people finally wake up and do something about it

baliffs will do f all if u dont live there no more ,its against the law to find out where u live through bank or gas or esb company etc

so how they meant to find u ????

sure i rang them pretending to be my brother and told him i was away travelling in aussie for a year with friends

so

i used this service before on old phone a few years ago and never got charged , so needless to say didnt think there was a charge

regardless of if i used it or not ok

why do people stand by and let these c**ts charge the earth for a **** service , it isnt the first time o2 have ripped people off , why dont people finally wake up and do something about it

baliffs will do f all if u dont live there no more ,its against the law to find out where u live through bank or gas or esb company etc

so how they meant to find u ????

sure i rang them pretending to be my brother and told him i was away travelling in aussie for a year with friends

so

That's the spirit!

in this case a prick would be someone who advised you to try to hide and get away with it. You will NOT get away with it so we're trying to help you.

Krudler has mentioned here before that he used to work for o2 so he knows what he's talking about here

i think its safe to say they're not the same service. The other one was free, this one cost several thousand
    why do people stand by and let these c**ts charge the earth for a **** service

its a capitalist country and they can charge whatever they like. Also because its a capitalist country you're free not to use the expensive service. But don't use the service and then piss and moan afterwards about paying for it

someone should tell them that so they can just shut down their companies

here's a thought off the top of my head, o2 could tell them you approximate location based on what mast you're connected to most often

He probably didn't think masts were used any more. It's been a few years.

• Advertisement

i have a ready to go with vodafone now so how they gonna find that ???

work address on contract was wrong

so really they have no info as to where i am

and if they arrived at my new address all of a sudden i can take them to court for getting information thats against the law to get

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement