Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista is SH1T.

• 30-08-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

It's just ****. Problems everywhere. I hate it.

When is SP1 coming out and do you people reckon it will actually make the OS tolerable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Depends what exactly you find "sh1t" about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the beginning was the Plan.
    And then came the Assumptions.
    And the Assumptions were without form.
    And the Plan was without substance.
    And darkness was upon the face of the Workers.
    And they spoke among themselves, saying, "It is a crock of shít, and it stinks."

And the Workers went unto their Supervisors and said,
    "It is a pail of dung, and we can't live with the smell."

And the Supervisors went unto their Managers, saying,
    "It is a container of excrement, and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it."

And the Managers went unto their Directors, saying,
    "It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength."

And the Directors spoke among themselves, saying to one another,
    "It contains that which aids plant growth, and it is very strong."

And the Directors went to the Vice Presidents, saying unto them,
    "It promotes growth, and it is very powerful."

And the Vice Presidents went to Bill, saying unto him,
    "This new plan will actively promote the growth and vigor
    of the company with very powerful effects."

And Bill looked upon the Plan and saw that it was good.
    And the Plan became Vista.
    And this is how shít happens.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Very good ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nice... i like. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

If you can't use an OS from Microsoft at this stage you should just get rid of your PC.

THEY CAN BE TAMED PEOPLE! Not unlike an unruly puppy, you have to train it and bash it on the nose with a newspaper every now and then, and also neuter it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Timans wrote:
    It's just ****. Problems everywhere. I hate it.

When is SP1 coming out and do you people reckon it will actually make the OS tolerable?

Could you ellaborate on what kind of problems and maybe we can help you out.

If you are using incompatible drivers and unsupported third party software then yes you will have an awfull experience which can be said for any OS, The base OS itself as is works very well.

The only issue i have is with Internet explorer nopt being able to handle flash correctly for some reason, which results in ie crashing a lot, bebo is where it has the most problems for, so i just switched to firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Don't find it **** at all.. XP certainly pips it when it comes to gaming but Vista is easily on a par with, if not better than, XP for quite alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

works fine for me though I use Mozilla mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

is anyone having bother with vista crashing when playing media? real player and windows media player are dying all the time for me, even when running a photo slide windows explorer dies, using home premium with 2gb ram and turion x2 1.8ghz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Timans wrote:
    It's just ****. Problems everywhere.

Your level of eloquency leads me to believe that the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nuttzz: Sounds like you might have some dodgy codecs/codec packs installed that are causing WMP/real player to crash.

Personally, I would uninstall the codec packs and stick VLC on, i haven't got anything it won't play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Your level of eloquency leads me to believe that the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

Yeah? Yore ma!!

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Agreed. Come on original poster... We go through this with every OS and the only one that warranted this muppetry was Windows ME.

Think back to XP when it first came out. Its mostly down to how different the OS is from previous versions. Most of the changes are for the better. Some day you will be complaining about how crap the next os is and how you wish it was more like Vista :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saruman wrote:
    Agreed. Come on original poster... We go through this with every OS and the only one that warranted this muppetry was Windows ME.
    and Dos 4 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

and Dos 4 ;)
    Yes but MS-Dos 4.1 was ok and 5 gave us qbasic :D Although i cant remember if the banana throwing monkey game was with that version or later versions of Q basic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh im starting to come to the conclusion that vista is all fur coat and no knickers:

the media centre is a joke..urrghh how did they release it? ff is actually the DVD equivalent of spin the wheel, f** knows where it stops

the search function looks like a brilliant idea that was never actually tested to see if it works.

endearing little traits

I like random crashes/glitches when dealing with graphics files.

I like the fact the help is actually borked on my PC and theres no support on it in technet

I like that it has to reinstall printer drivers everytime you print to them

I really like that it looses network connectivty when i stick a usb wireless card into it while its still connected to the LAN...whaaoh there bambi two networks crazy extravagent stuff that :rolleyes:

I like aero. (seriously, I like aero)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Bambi wrote:
    tbh im starting to come to the conclusion that vista is all fur coat and no knickers:

the media centre is a joke..urrghh how did they release it? ff is actually the DVD equivalent of spin the wheel, f** knows where it stops

the search function looks like a brilliant idea that was never actually tested to see if it works.

endearing little traits

I like random crashes/glitches when dealing with graphics files.

I like the fact the help is actually borked on my PC and theres no support on it in technet

I like that it has to reinstall printer drivers everytime you print to them

I really like that it looses network connectivty when i stick a usb wireless card into it while its still connected to the LAN...whaaoh there bambi two networks crazy extravagent stuff that :rolleyes:

I like aero. (seriously, I like aero)

if you add a tv tuner card, m$ media remote, and hook the pc to your tv

the media center thing (which you call a joke) has to be the best use yet for a home computer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Stephen wrote:
    Nuttzz: Sounds like you might have some dodgy codecs/codec packs installed that are causing WMP/real player to crash.

Personally, I would uninstall the codec packs and stick VLC on, i haven't got anything it won't play :)

I'd agree about the dodgy codecs. If you like the media players you are using normally when they don't crash then I would suggest downloading the Vista Codec Pack.

Available HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been using Vista for a quite a while, but its starting to annoy me now. My main issue is the problems with copying/moving files. Its slow and unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Try the K Lite Mega Codec Pack. www.codecguide.com. That will sort out all yer codec issues.

Also, gaming on Vista kicks much arse. Overlord? Beautiful. BioShock? Insane. Whats important is you can't play either on XP because they both require the new DirectX10 graphic system (which is the same engine they use on the XBox360).

Off to play some more now actually...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mukki wrote:
    if you add a tv tuner card, m$ media remote, and hook the pc to your tv

the media center thing (which you call a joke) has to be the best use yet for a home computer!

Yeah bo***x to that, I use vista as an OS for a PC not a glorified DVD player..i dont even own a telly.

Now that i think of it, i wind up using the arrow keys half the time to make DVD menu selections because mousovers dont work...ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

Nuttzz wrote:
    is anyone having bother with vista crashing when playing media? real player and windows media player are dying all the time for me, even when running a photo slide windows explorer dies, using home premium with 2gb ram and turion x2 1.8ghz

mine crashed while running a photo slide in windows explorer yesterday. It's just not good enough.

Still having crashes in certain pages with firefox. :(

CptSternn - Bioshock works fine on DX9, it just supports DX10 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Am I the only one who likes Vista? Sure I've had the odd crash or 2 here and there, but that's the same with XP right?

I have Vista @ work (Business) and on my laptop (Ultimate) and i think it's great...

The only thing I don't get is the Media Centre thing, I presume it only comes into it's own with a TV tuner card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It's slow.
    The search function either doesn't work properly or is counter-intuitive.
    It has poor dirver support.
    It crashes very frequently, especially on startup. Big nasty flickering BSOD crashes that seemed to be a thing of a past more-or-less after XP.
    If the computer is locked, the screen is a flickering blue mess when I try to use it again.

I like it. The ONLY issue I have with it is somewhat worse performance in games. Search works fine for me. All my hardware works with it - no driver problems. It hasn't blue screened on me once. I can lock and unlock it without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

pwd wrote:
    It's slow.
    :confused: what do you mean slow
    pwd wrote:
    The search function either doesn't work properly or is counter-intuitive.
    I agree it needs some work but it will defiantly fixed with a hotfix or SP1.
    pwd wrote:
    Never had any problems with driver support, I have plugged all manner of devices from MP3 players to a couple of old printers and they were all picked up automatically. Although driver support for the 64bit version is a bit shaky
    pwd wrote:
    It crashes very frequently, especially on startup. Big nasty flickering BSOD crashes that seemed to be a thing of a past more-or-less after XP..
    I have found its the most stable MS OS ever, I only got one bsod from a beta gfx driver I installed once. I think there must be something flaky with your rig or your gfx drivers are messed up
    pwd wrote:
    If the computer is locked, the screen is a flickering blue mess when I try to use it again.
    Again sounds like a driver issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

pwd wrote:
    It's slow.
    It crashes very frequently, especially on startup. Big nasty flickering BSOD crashes that seemed to be a thing of a past more-or-less after XP.

Have you had somebody look at your hardware. The only time I seem BSODs (these days) are when hardware is an issue.

As for the flickering blue mess you'd expect that somebody else might have noticed that. If they haven't then it's something about your PC. Again hardware could be a factor.

As for poor driver support. It's a pain in the ass for every manufacturer to go back and write drivers for every new OS for old hardware. So a lot don't bother. There are several sites you can use though to check your hardware before installing Vista though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Whats important is you can't play either on XP because they both require the new DirectX10 graphic system (which is the same engine they use on the XBox360).

lol where do people get these notions out of is beyond me, bioshock is direct x 9 compatible, it has direct x 10 shaders for vista is all

made my day that did :D

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've been using Vista since it was first available and I love it. I originally had Ultimate on my PC and when I sold the PC I bought a laptop which has Home Premium on it.
    It's great for digital content, movies, pictures, music etc and I haven't had any crashes so far. I'll admit it's a tad craptacular for gaming, but I don't use it much for gaming, so I'm not too bothered.

Advertisement