Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista is SH1T.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I used a dell vista upgrade - which should have been seamless really but it was a disaster. It didn't work properly and the computer was unusable until I installed and reinstalled different drivers, and now there are still probelms with it.
    dell weren't very helpful about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i had a lot of trouble (bsod's) with vista for the first month, went back to xp, and found that it was more stable, but if i was encoding video it would bsod too,

ran a memtest and it was fine at first but after running it about 10 times, it started to fail like mad, i connected up the fan in the side of the pc case and memtest ran fine for hours, re-installed vista and its completely flawless, pc was not a simple pc world or dell build either

the reason xp was more stable then vista was because vista was putting more strain on the memory, causing the memory to overheat, this was a harware cooling problem, and not vistas fault

spec..
    x6800
    2 hard drives in raid0
    sata dvd-rom
    1gig ballistix ram
    1gig hyperthread drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

The only time i considered Vista slow was during beta when i opened up a folder with huge (we are talking 20 5-8gb)files and the indexing service would go ape. That thankfully has been fixed.
    Never not been able to find what i needed but the fact that manufacturers don't update drvers is hardly Vista's fault tho (and to be fair to msoft, a lot of XP drivers will work if your stuck though not always at 100%).

Even during beta i've never ever seen a BSOD on Vista, during the first while on XP i had them every week at least if not more often so the stability of the OS has me very pleased. Especially pre Sp1.

There are of course problems with Vista which is to be expected but i'm a very happy customer atm.

The problems yoou are encountering pwd really do sound hardware related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

shinzon wrote:
    lol where do people get these notions out of is beyond me, bioshock is direct x 9 compatible, it has direct x 10 shaders for vista is all

made my day that did :D

shin

That appears to be a last minute change. That being said the graphics on XP are inferior to the Vista with Direct X 10.

Also, Shadowrun, Overlord, and the upcoming Crysis are all Vista only Direct X 10 only.

Thats the short list of the Direct X 10 only games that are out, or are coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Also, Shadowrun, Overlord, and the upcoming Crysis are all Vista only Direct X 10 only.

Nope,
    just Microsoft Halo2 and Microsoft Shadowrun.
    If you ignore the 3rd party hacks to run them under XP.

There's been articles pointing out a bit of improvement in the sharpness of shadows and smoke effects, but nothing hugely different yet.

For work, Vista's a bit overweight when working in virtual machines, and had a few odd networking issues.

The betas of it's server 2008 cousin appear to be a bit better than 2003 R2 though, wrt management tools, better powershell scripting integration and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Crysis are all Vista only Direct X 10 only

Again wrong crysis will and has been shown to work in windows xp

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've played tonnes of games on vista without a bother, performance is fine I don't know why people are saying it's bad for gaming

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shinzon wrote:
    lol where do people get these notions out of is beyond me, bioshock is direct x 9 compatible, it has direct x 10 shaders for vista is all

made my day that did :D

shin

Nothing strange about this, people make all sorts of strange comments about "xyz software will only work in Vista" because they see a Vista Compatible sticker on it and don't actually read the small print to see if it works in XP.

Basically people need to research stuff before posting stuff about games being Vista only, if they don't it only makes them look abit stupid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Haven't had any real problems with Vista so far, picked up pretty much any hardware I threw at it straight away, except for my wifi dongle.

Driver support at the start was ****e yes, but was really down to the manufacturers and has greatly improved now.

Only quibles I have would be seemingly very slow file transfers, also would have liked to have seen more developed disk managment features, seeing as I cant get PM8 to work under vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ive switched between the two (xp pro and vista ultimate) an ungodly number of times, ive been with xp now for a while because vista started buggin me with certain compatibility issues with a few games and apps. however, i can get over that fine, what really bugs me with vista is networking. half the time it takes an age to connect, then sometimes i cant see any other computers on the network, and file transfere!...it has to spend about half an hour calculating whether or not its feasible!!! other than that, i find vista to be a wonderully .....shinny.... and....er.....ya, :confused: acceptable:confused: os, needs a tune up, but itl be cool when sp1 is out.

anyone have that problem with networks??...it may be sorted by now, let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I had some networking problems with it at the start that was caused by state full packett inspection done by the router when vista tried to push data across and hit a SPI router Ip stack fell apart.

upgraded the routers firmware and update the nic drivers haven't had a problem since installing vista back in november 2006 it has been running solid since.

Desktop - Ultimate edition
    Laptop - Business edition

One other small hiccup was my Nas Storage problems with the shares but thats long sorted now.
    Never had any BSOD's or messed up driver problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yea so some dont like it fine... I love it! From the beta testing days to now it's my number 1 OS.

Yep it bugs me about the MS killing off sound card hardware but I can get past that in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've an msdn sub as part of work and used ultimate when it came out for three months and went back to XP, the nags and the bloody pain in the arse explorer just were to much for me to bare.

XP is here to stay until the next OS (if its any better).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Longfield wrote:
    I've an msdn sub as part of work and used ultimate when it came out for three months and went back to XP, the nags and the bloody pain in the arse explorer just were to much for me to bare.

I thought that too. The best thing is that it's come on since then -- not having debugging code running in the background helps things a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ethernet wrote:
    I thought that too. The best thing is that it's come on since then -- not having debugging code running in the background helps things a lot.

ethernet if thats all you think is wrong ..ostrages just wept.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Longfield wrote:

I had problems with MS SQL and Visual Studio. Mainly resolved now. But the file copying issues are driving me crazy. Roll on SP1. No problems with games though, or drivers. Mind you I'm using a laptop.

Advertisement