Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S3 or A5 1.8T or TT 2.0T

Options
  • 30-08-2007 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi All,

Just looking for some opinions on this. I'm considering buying one of the above 3 cars for 2008.

Which do you think would be the best buy??? I would be spending about €55k, there isn't that much price difference between them. Practicality in terms of luggage space or passengers is not an issue.

S3 - Has the most BHP - 265, undersated (maybe too much so), only comes in manual though.

TT Coupé 2TFSI 200 BHP - It would be in S-tronic (Audi name for DSG), Is it still considered a hair dressers car though? I don't won't to come accross looking like a ponce!

A5 1.8T - The lowest BHP of the 3 at 170 BHP. I would get it in tiptronic. I guess it would be the biggest head turner cause it's the newest.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Which car would you choose 25 votes

S3 - 2.0 litre 265 bhp manual
    0% 0 votes
    TT Coupé - 2.0 litre TFSI 200 bhp S-tronic
    68% 17 votes
    A5 Coupe - 1.8 T, 170 bhp
    32% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

A5 for me - that would still be powerful enough and like you say - would be a real head turner. New TT looks well but not for me personally and the A3 is a bit too hot-hatch'y for my taste too. Never would have thought I would pick such a dramatically less powerful motor given a choice of three - but for some reason, with the three you choices you have the A5 is a no-brainer for me.

By the way - you lucky git. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Out of the three one would assume the the A 5 also would have the biggst re-sale value.

(You know ..."the day you buy is the day you sell" and all that)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Depends what you want.

Do you want a well specced 07 S3 in Jan? :D

If you want a cruiser with a big boot but slower than your average man from Nobber.. buy the A5 (with 170bhp)!

TT wouldn't be for me but you might love it, it has lost the hairdresser thing IMO but it's not particularly fast.

If you want a car that depreciates slowly, can crawl in traffic, send you sideways, hit 100kms in just over 5 seconds and handle like a dream and do it all very discreetly, get the S3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Octavia. Same stable after all. Massive boot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 apple_danish

MarkN wrote:
    Depends what you want.

Do you want a well specced 07 S3 in Jan? :D

Thanks, for the offer, but I'm going to spec up an 08 model. What colour do you have? I was thinking sprint blue if I went down the S3 route. Just to make it stand out a bit from other A3s. Also, how do you find it in heavy traffic. Is the manual gear box not a bit of a pain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Aparently anything even slightly coupeish in Ireland is considered poncey! But to answer your question, no, the new TT is not the hairdressers car it used to be! The new one is fantastic, espeically the 2.0 which I like a lot better than the V6 - BUT I really don't think it's worth the spend on the DSG.

I hate paddle-operated shifts anyway, but I will admit the DSG is the ONLY one I would consider if i HAD to have one, but i would still have a manual any day of the week. DSG is cool for about 5 mins then it wears off and you leave it in auto the whole time.

I really dont get why anyone likes the A5 too - I think it looks absolutely terrible, its like an A6 with the back door welded shut and then put into a hot wash! Makes the old 3 series coupe seem imaginative!

TT 2.0FSI w/ manual box FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

A5 looks better and probably is more practical - but not so hot to drive ( I am told)

S3 - I'm not convinced.

TT - looks great too, should be reasonably quick and has better handling than A5.
    Its the one I would have.

It's a very short shift box, I'm not sure if the DSG box was able for the car - can't think of any other reason not to do it.

I have sprint blue, silk nappa, Audi Nav plus, light pack, winter pack, auto headlights etc

Whatever you do, order the flat bottom wheel if you are ordering for a new one though, I didn't and regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I voted for the s3 as I think it looks the best and if I was getting an a5 I'd wait and spend more and get a higher spec'd one.

I'm not a huge fan of the TT at all - would prefer an s-line a4 but that's just a personal preference.

Suppose it's all down to your own taste - see what you can get in each for the budget. I think the best thing about buying new is you can get the car tailored exactly how you want it, especially with things like the alloys. If you went for the a5 it may pale in comparison to other a5's out there as yours will be a poverty spec one whilst if you went with the s3 you'd have the best possible car in that category and could add some nice extras. Also it would be alot rarer on the road than a TT or A5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you want a fast car dont get the a5 1.8,

s3 for me

• Advertisement

If I was getting an s3 tomorrow I'd get:

Car €52,500
    Spirit blue or red or black metallic paint €1,021
    Interior lights pack €187
    Multifunction steering wheel €170
    Sat nav €3,707
    Nappa leather €1,906
    Sub total €59,493
    less 7% cash discount €4,164
    Total €55,328

Hmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

:eek: 4k for sat nav

OP have you considered the r32 golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

MarkN wrote:
    It's a very short shift box, I'm not sure if the DSG box was able for the car - can't think of any other reason not to do it.

The DSG / S-Tronic is well able for the r32 so why not the S3?

Cause the S3 has more power but I'm just hazarding a guess that that is the reason, maybe Audi viewed it as more of a drivers car so left it manual.

Boink - that is a very generous discount you are giving yourself, considering the car without any options is 52 ;-)

MarkN wrote:
    Cause the S3 has more power but I'm just hazarding a guess that that is the reason, maybe Audi viewed it as more of a drivers car so left it manual.

Boink - that is a very generous discount you are giving yourself, considering the car without any options is 52 ;-)

Maybe it was on the optimistic side :)

Should get at least €3k off though. Actually just forgot audi margins are less than VW so €3k might def be more like it?

I managed to get 3k offered without any haggling at all, it all depends on the extras on the car. Audi take the pi55 with the price of their nav stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Cyrus wrote:
    :eek: 4k for sat nav

OP have you considered the r32 golf?

you can install the sat nav aftermarket for 1k or
    so which would be the way to go there. it's a 5 min job.
    I know 2 people who have done it, and also MarkN i think?

personally I am looking at a new sline A4 to replace the A3:

003__scaled_600_084.jpg

My car had the cheaper sat nav fitted to it from the factory (it was one of eight Audi S3s brought into Ireland by Audi Ireland) but it was rubbish. So I bought the full colour DVD based sat nav, unplugged the one from the car, slotted in the new one and job was done. Everything else is the same, wires, loom, shark fin aerial etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

If power is a concern then you'd definately want to test drive the 1.8T to see if its up to it. A buddy of mine has a 02 A4 1.8T. I was very surprised when he took me for a spin to find out what 163bhp felt like. In comparison to another buddies A6 1.9 diesel 130bhp it felt much slower. Without getting into another diesel versus petrol debate the A6 was able to push your head against the headrest in most gears whereas the A4 never did. If I was spending that much money I'd definately want something more powerful.

Having said that I think the A5 is definately the best looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were spending that money, i'd be looking for something fast, roomy, understated and automatic. A debadged S3 in a muted colour comes closest, but it's still a manual. A TT is too cramped, and looks awful. The A5 is pointless, i'd prefer an A4 with a proper engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Of the 3 you suggest, it would definitely be the S3, however for slightly less money I would go for the R32 simply as it has DSG

[QUOTE=for slightly less money I would go for the R32 simply as it has DSG[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was looking at the R32 but, I just can't justify spending that sort of money on a golf. I 'm sure it's an unbelievable car to drive though. And I really like DSG. I really don't like the back of the R32 though. I don't like the way the double exhaust sits in the mddle. Looks way too boy racerish!

I suppose the main thing putting me off the S3 is justyfying spending that much on a hatchback and also that it's a manual. Traffic is so dam heavy these days that manual can be a pain. Most ordinary punters almost faint when you say the S3 cost 52k, but are surprised when you say the TT is "ONLY" about the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Why not get a well-specified Golf GTI DSG? It solves your problem with not liking the back of the R32, and i'd imagine it'll still be plenty quick enough for you. It's cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I really don't get everyone's love for the A5. I think it's very mediocre at best. It does look better in the metal, but only cause it's a bit lower and wider than expecting, but still the side profile is not nice. I'd go for the S3, or if that wasn't on the list, then the TT. If it was down to the A5 1.8T I'd just get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

S3 - Has the most BHP - 265, undersated (maybe too much so), only comes in manual though.
    Theres no such thing as too much bhp, however this is 4wd as far as I know. It could well handle 265bhp.
    TT Coupé 2TFSI 200 BHP - It would be in S-tronic (Audi name for DSG), Is it still considered a hair dressers car though? I don't won't to come accross looking like a ponce!
    There really nice, the new one is a real head turner, but the s3 is more powerful, 4wd etc.
    A5 1.8T - The lowest BHP of the 3 at 170 BHP. I would get it in tiptronic. I guess it would be the biggest head turner cause it's the newest.
    Is it just me but i think these cars arn't the best looking. I'd pick the a 335i over one. much nicer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

TT, DSG, pearl white, magma red int, DSG.

A5? -mmmmmmmm, I do love it, but, I'd wonder about the 170bhp engine too. Best to drive it first. Mind you, probably best residual of the bunch.

S3 - bottom of the pile. Suffers too much from the 'is it a Tdi with a bodykit' thing. And manual is a definate no-no.

Going forward, as they say, higher spec DSGAuto cars will hold their value better anyway, irrespective of the model.

Avoid factory sat-nav's like the plague. Apart from the shocking price, and poor value, there is the very real issue of long term (i.e. 5- 7) year life, and interim upgrades. Just ask anyone with a 98/99/00 Porsche 996 who can't get their ones upgraded.........you have to buy a full cd update for over 1k..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

@apple_danish
    Why not consider an golf R32, they turn lots of heads.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

galwaytt wrote:
    Avoid factory sat-nav's like the plague. Apart from the shocking price, and poor value, there is the very real issue of long term (i.e. 5- 7) year life, and interim upgrades. Just ask anyone with a 98/99/00 Porsche 996 who can't get their ones upgraded.........you have to buy a full cd update for over 1k..........

the audi navplus is actually much better than this, they bring out a new dvd every year or so and it is nowhere near 1k.

I bought a genuine Audi 2007 DVD disc for 100 quid on ebay - MSL wanted something like 400 quid for it but without a doubt they can be upgraded for not huge cost and the Audi RNS-E is far superior to a lot of portable navs out there and also a lot of other car companies out there.

Is has memory card ports, phone interface, plays DVD and TV, tells you where to go and is a radio :D

Galway - I must bring you for a spin sometime, the amount of attention the S3 gets on the road will shock you. Whether it's people going up to it in a car park for a gawk inside, asking me about it in traffic or just staring at it. I really don't think any of those people think it's a TDI with a bodykit ;)

OP - if you think that the R32 is a lot for a Golf then think about the fact that the S3 is a lot for an A3 - that's what it essentially is.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote:
    OP - if you think that the R32 is a lot for a Golf then think about the fact that the S3 is a lot for an A3 - that's what it essentially is.

Yeah, it's essentially an A3, but it's easier to justify spending the money on an Audi than a VW. I mean the Audi brand holds a lot cachet, whereas spending big money on a VW doesn't really match the brand. Don't want to sound snobby, just my opinion.

Advertisement