Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non- alcoholic beer

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sh0cX

A question about non-alcoholic beers, Do they have to be sold at a low price than the alcoholic beers or are they sold at normal price. I seen some where that N/A are supposed to be sold at 10% cheaper than your alcoholic beverages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

rossie1977 wrote: »
    People don't drink beer because they like the taste :D
    ah but they do! Well i do anyway, i love the taste of beer. And i love sampling new beers every month, seeing which beer has a hoppy taste, which one is skunky, etc. I drink beer both to relax/unwind, as well as for the taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sh0cX wrote: »
    A question about non-alcoholic beers, Do they have to be sold at a low price than the alcoholic beers or are they sold at normal price. I seen some where that N/A are supposed to be sold at 10% cheaper than your alcoholic beverages.
    Depends on who's doing the supposing. There's certainly no law surrounding it, but there's no excise due on non-alcoholic drinks so they're likely to be cheaper, and usually are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sh0cX wrote: »
    Non alcoholic beer is a soft drink.

In Irish pubs the markup on soft drinks is usually far greater than for alcoholic drinks. A pint of minerals in bottles will cost more than a pint of lager , even the fancy imported bottled stuff. And don't forget that the minerals will be about 1/3rd ice so it's even worse. And the minerals are made locally and can be bought in the local supermarket for far less. The cheapest minerals in a supermarket are cheaper than water.

Supermarkets sell lager for maybe €2.350 per litre, call it €1.50 a pint. This is the Excise duty + transport + storage + cost of raw materials and brewing. The rest is the publican/distributor/manufacturer margins and of course a bit of VAT on the higher amount.

There has been no Excise duty increase on Beer since about 1994 and the Excise duty on lower alcohol beer ( 2 % or 3% don't know since won't be drinking it) was halved two or three budgets ago.

Many times I've ended up taking alcohol because it's cheaper than staying on the wagon. Cordial is cheaper but it's usually very watery and I'd much rather a cold pint of 7up or maybe cidona but would drink it too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

erdinger is not nice imo. it has that sickly sweet after taste

weihenstephaner was mentioned before, they have a couple of different NA beers which are very nice. Paulaner do a NA wheat beer which is well worth trying out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Doesn't anyone remember Kaliber ?

I haven't seen it in years. The aul fella used to have a can of it every Sunday with his dinner, as he was a poineer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Doesn't anyone remember Kaliber ?

I haven't seen it in years. The aul fella used to have a can of it every Sunday with his dinner, as he was a poineer!

Or Moosey (speling?) which pre dated Kaliber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Or Moosey (speling?) which pre dated Kaliber

Are you talking about Moosehead?

I drink that from time to time. It's not non-alcoholic!

Are you talking about Moosehead?

I drink that from time to time. It's not non-alcoholic!

No, it was Mousey or Moosey or something like that and was the first NA beer I remember coming on the market in Ireland. Was never allowed have one, though:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Was never allowed have one, though:mad:

And bloody right too. You might have acquired a taste for beer at an early age and then, as a grown-up you might have... oh...

And bloody right too. You might have acquired a taste for beer at an early age and then, as a grown-up you might have... oh...
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Bavaria 0.0% is very nice. I think it might be new on the market though because I've only recently seen it advertised and found it in the shops. After that Erdinger Non-Alcoholic, and last on the list is Becks Non-Alcoholic.

Was in the Canaries a few months back and there were non-alcoholic versions available of pretty much every brand of beer - it was fantastic, and a shame we don't have the same selection here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Where can you buy non alcoholic beer? I'm guessing you don't need a licence nor does it need to be in the restricted alcohol section? I haven't been able to find any in the supermarkets or local off licences. The only place I can find is drinklink.ie but ordering a case of beer delivered to my work place is a bit dodgy even though it is non alcoholic :)

I've had becks NA, Cobra NA and Erdinger NA. I liked them all but Becks was the closest to the real thing imo. The others are just missing something :) But nice all the same.

20goto10 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find any in the supermarkets or local off licences.
    Have you asked anyone working there? Big supermarkets always have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They're with the normal beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

OK thanks I'll have to ask next time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I got Sainsbury's Low Alcohol, 0.5%abv, I thought it was decent, probably hard to expect to get that in a pub though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tempo-dundrum

Went to Tesco Upper Baggot st. 10:15pm this evening and was not allowed purchase non-alcoholic beer.

Compete nonsense.

Did you ask to speak to a manager?
    That's just stupid

Spoke to the manager for about 30mins, complete idiot. What part of 0% alcohol does he not understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's generally around 0.5% ;) I'm not sure if the law allows for selling even low-alcohol beers and wines after 10pm. In any case, the manager would be wise to ask a solicitor's opinion before selling them after 10 rather than relying on just your opinion.

Stark wrote: »
    It's generally around 0.5% ;) I'm not sure if the law allows for selling even low-alcohol beers and wines after 10pm. In any case, the manager would be wise to ask a solicitor's opinion before selling them after 10 rather than relying on just your opinion.
    It's not exciseable, it's not legally beer, it doesn't require a licence to sell and there's no reason they can't sell it. I can kinda see why they choose not to, though. It's just administratively easier to lump it in with the off licence stock.

Stark wrote: »

Any manager especially a retailer like Tesco should be familiar with the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008. It is clearly written in the act in relation to non-alcoholic beverages etc but we don't need to even consult this act because Beck's non alcoholic & Erdinger non alcoholic both state on the bottles 0% ALC (also "ALCOHOL FREE). So, perhaps there is still a small amount of aclohol in these I don't know. I do know that I have purchased Stella low abv recently which does state 0.5% ALC on the bottle. I guess my point is why is it considered alcohol when it doesn't have any alcohol. Any beverage other the alcohol is esentially non alcoholic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Can you purchase club shandy (does it even still exist?) after 10pm I wonder? IIRC that has about 0.5% ABV too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 franny1

aniascor wrote: »
    Bavaria 0.0% is very nice. I think it might be new on the market though because I've only recently seen it advertised and found it in the shops. After that Erdinger Non-Alcoholic, and last on the list is Becks Non-Alcoholic.

Was in the Canaries a few months back and there were non-alcoholic versions available of pretty much every brand of beer - it was fantastic, and a shame we don't have the same selection here.

any sign of this bavaria mate? Would love to get my hands on this stuff. Personally my favourite alcoholic beer/larger and very cheap. cant go far wrong!

Advertisement