Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business -v- Economics

Options
  • 30-08-2007 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi!
    i've just started sixth yeah and physics is going desperately bad so i'm thinking of taking up either business or economics. Which would be a better option?
    i know there's no "easy" leaving cert subject but, well, which would be easier? i prefer english-based subjects, i do religion and geog, and i suppose i'd be strong academically. Realistically, i'd be looking for an A1.
    so what do you think?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

Hi!
    i've just started sixth yeah and physics is going desperately bad so i'm thinking of taking up either business or economics. Which would be a better option?
    i know there's no "easy" leaving cert subject but, well, which would be easier? i prefer english-based subjects, i do religion and geog, and i suppose i'd be strong academically. Realistically, i'd be looking for an A1.
    so what do you think?
    Thanks!

I had have a Unsuccessful teacher who does zero things each day in business. Its problematical if you have a Unsuccessful teacher like my teacher . Economics is awkward and in ways uncomplicated if you can comprehend the subject . If you done higher level business for the JC . Keep with the Business . And don’t do economics considering all you simply have one year to study it ;)

Coco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

:eek: ...wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd continue with Physics, i was god damn awful at the subject and got a B2.

There is a basic routine to doing well in Physics. Theres about 5 steps and i did about 3 of them.

You can also cut loads out, for example 80% of my marks were gained from Particle Physics, Modern Physics and the Experiments which can all be learned off in a matter of 3 or 4 days.

You don't even need to do any Electricity tbh, maybe a few formulae to get you through Q5.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aristophanes

:eek: ...wtf
    What??

thanks for the help,
    coco, i only did business in first year so i wouldn't really have any advantage in that...

weathercheck, thanks but the problem is that my physics teacher is completely hopeless, he has no such thing as plans or deadlines, just does things as they come into his head. we don't use the book and i have zero faith in his advice because he has left out some fairly crucial things in the past.

and what are these five steps and where can i find them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ask someone in the business class what the teachers like
    In 6th year myself and find business fairly handy, not too hard at all to be honest
    I did business for the JC but I really don't think it relates much to business in the leaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i absolutely loved economics but hated business. i got an A1 in both so it doesnt really matter. as long as you put in a lot of hard work you will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

I would say Business is just a subject where you have to rote learn everthing and concentrate on exam technique, if you feel that, that would suit you I would say go for Business.

Economics involves more learning and understanding a much smaller course, that's its main advantage, its depends really on the type of learner you are.

I liked Business much more than Economics, but my teacher was a mile better for Business. Try and find out about the quality of the two teachers, it can really make a difference in trying to learn a whole new course from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I did business, and found it quite easy. As D.Coughlan said, the entire course amounts to rote learning and application of common sense. We started focussing on exam technique from day one, and every thing we learnt, we learnt in context of the exam and the particular format it requires. The course is do-able in one year. In my school an extra business class was set up at the start of sixth year because of the demand and they did very well.

Economics is, from what I hear very similar. I would have prefered to do it over business because it's more mathsy oriented. Having looked through the text book, its quite easy, (but it came down to a choice between Economics and Physics due to time-tabling and physics was always going to win out)

At the end of the day it boils down to your preference. You have to keep in mind that by taking up an extra subject, you could be putting yourself under unnecessary stress and your other subjects may suffer, indeed you may end up doing worse than if you had just kept the physics up. Maybe a grind might be in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

i recom economics, it is a short course
    the exam Qs repeat themselves.

business is more interseting than economics, but it is not a easy sub to get an A in. it requires a lot of writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea I had a very sore arm after the exam and a huge mountainous lump on my middle finger from the biro i was using. It looked like a boil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Sean_K wrote:
    Economics is, from what I hear very similar. I would have prefered to do it over business because it's more mathsy oriented. Having looked through the text book, its quite easy, (but it came down to a choice between Economics and Physics due to time-tabling and physics was always going to win out)

I was in the same boat. I wanted to do Economics, but I got stuck with Business ftl. For me, it was the most boring crock of **** I ever did in my life and I hated it so much. So much bloody learning off. OP, don't take this as advice though or anything, I'm really not one of those people who finds things to do with business interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Economics being maths orientated, it isn't really and the stuff in it that is isn't very satisfying as its not at all challenging.

Beware though, if you do economics this year that this is the last year of the course and that if you do repeat, you could be starting from scratch again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

stick with physics and work at it. i got a C3 at 5th year summer, with work i was up to 88 by christmas, 93 by the mocks and an A1 in the real thing.

there's very little understanding required, and the knowledge you need is very shallow but broad. you'll have a hard time doing business or economics in one year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I'd recommend Business, basically rote learning, having good english is half the battle. Economics has a bit more understanding to it, but is probaly more useful. Check out the quality of the teachers as well, that can make an unbelievable difference to any subject.

Advertisement