Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy? Really?

Options
  • 30-08-2007 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Ok, Just a little quick question for all those folks who are about to move away from home (or stay), and hit uni hard... are you really happy about your choice or are you still confused?

I started having second thoughts about uni when I was screwing up the leaving cert, and since I moved away in July to Belfast, and got a job I realised that I don't need a degree to be happy, or to get a job. So I've decided to do what I feel will make me happy, which is just working away, but studying Business studies A level at night. I thought that my family would think I was just being lazy, but turns out, that they are actually happier with my decision.

I like the independancy, but the thought of going to uni still sends a shiver down my spine. Probably speaking a load of crap but just wanted to know did anyone else feel the same way as me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm staying home as I couldn't justify moving out since I live only a bus away from the university. I can't wait to go. I'm nervous about it but deligthed with my decisions and the outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i worked for two years full time I really liked my job and thought this was great loads of promotion prospects etc etc then i took a job in a different company that i thought id like and working without a degree in effectively unskilled roles really hit home and that is what is making me go back to college tbh

maybe you got lucky but chances are your going to get a job that pays about 20Keuro a year. you are happy with that now but will you be in 5 years time if a few promotions dont go your way? if you are then more power to you personally 5 years into my carreer I would not be happy with 35K but again money is not everything.

I just feel that you sound like me two years ago and now im 3 years behind everyone else of my age starting to get a degree and you should think very hard before you rule it out completely.

if you are sure college is not for you then there are loads of things you can do obviously and your by no means out of the running in life or anything so go for it if thats what you want

edit; also there is a large social scene that comes with college that working full time generally cuts you out of. are you prepared to be in bed early and up for work in the morning when your mates are out tues wed thurs and telling how good a night they had........its not a reason to go to college by itself but you are making a big lifestyle commitment by commiting to a full time job especially with how hard you will need to work to stand out for promotions without a degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Nehpets wrote:
    I'm staying home as I couldn't justify moving out since I live only a bus away from the university. I can't wait to go.

Me too. UCC is ten minutes away, on foot. God, I can't WAIT to go to college. I've been really looking forward to it ever since I accepted my course. I couldn't just go straight into a full-time job, that wouldn't be me at all. I'm a little nervous about what's ahead, but at the same time, I can't wait to just get stuck in it all - what with the social life that i didnt have all through sixth year, a year in France and all the possibilities and opportunities college will provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

happy to go to uni but very nervous. as i only turned 17 in july i am very young and moving away from home is a big step, but i personally think u should throw yourself into it and you will be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

finally got accommodation sorted yesterday, really looking forward to college life but starting to get abit nervous.. is life without my mammy minding me really possible??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

fionated7 wrote:
    finally got accommodation sorted yesterday, really looking forward to college life but starting to get abit nervous.. is life without my mammy minding me really possible??????

its definitely going to be dirtier but other than that a hell of a lot more fun i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Personally I can't wait to go to college, independence at last and over 250 miles from almost anyone I know!TWILL ROCK!!!!Only forseeable issue is that my diet (and probably almost certainly my health) will suffer severely due to my complete lack of culinary skills.Am almost certainly going to resort to that soup where you just add boiling water....and maybe some bread occasionally!....Yeah something tells me i'm going have to serious iron, calcuim, etc, etc deficiencies....ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Just drink Guinness for Iron and White Russians for calcium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Cant wait for uni but at the same time Im definitely going to miss school, I honestly thought 6th year was the most social year Ive ever had at school. Loads of 18ths and everybody is going through the same thing so everyone is really friendly with each other. Im also staying at home for at least the first 2 years of uni, my situation atm is too cozy all together! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Sean_K wrote:
    Just drink Guinness for Iron and White Russians for calcium

Alcohol the solution to all lifes problems!

• Advertisement
Advertisement