Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References needed for renting

Options
  • 30-08-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

After viewing a apartment today, i was informed of getting a bank reference as well as a work one and character reference.

last two are fine but is a bank reference normal? how long will it take to get one from BOI?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm renting over 18 years now and never ever got asked for one of those. Sounds like the landlord is a clueless "investor" to me.

Just what does he expect the bank to do? - write up a summary of your financial stability to him, get real, that's not going to happen, at best they will confirm you have an account with them if even that - Something he'd know if you set up a direct debit to pay your rent anyhow which most honest landlords have done with me in the past..

I'd be inclined to check if he's registered with the PRTB , report him as he's more than likely not. Then find somewhere else to live.

A landlord like that is going to be anal about everything and likely to find multiple reasons not to give you your deposit back when you leave his clutches.
    Alarm bells would ring loudly in my ears with this one...walk away is my best advice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I've rented in Dublin for 5 years before I bought a house and for the last 2 places I rented I needed to show a letter from the bank as well as from my employer and previous landlords.

These were both through estate agents, a good few of my friends have had the exact same thing through different estate agents so I think its fairly common.

The letter is basically to say you have an a/c for x number of years and are a good customer (ie. not in debt up to your eyeballs). Any bank will give it no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭darrenoneill33

Would an up to date copy of your bank statements do? This would show regular income

Advertisement