Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foreign drivers in Ireland

Options
  • 30-08-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭

I will do my upmost to keep this post non racist as it is not what I am trying to achieve. :)

But can anyone tell me do Africans, Chinese, Polish nationals get any sort of training when they arrive here or do they just buy a car and hit the road?

I am just gobsmacked at the disgraceful display of what some of these people dare call 'driving'!?

Some are worse than others, same as Irish people but one of the groups above (you decide!) just seem to be so wreckless and have no problem with endangering life with the method they control a car on the road.

Someone very close to me was almost seriously injured or killed by one of these idiots this evening and I'd just love to know does our government do anything to screen these people before handing them a licence/allowing them to drive using their own licence which may not be worth the paper it is written on.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkN wrote:
    But can anyone tell me do Africans, Chinese, Polish nationals get any sort of training when they arrive here or do they just buy a car and hit the road?
    Is there a legal requirement for any sort of training in this country? I thought it was just a matter of applying for a provisional license and off you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

MarkN wrote:
    I will do my upmost to keep this post non racist as it is not what I am trying to achieve. :)

I am just gobsmacked at the disgraceful display of what some of these people dare call 'driving'!?

Some are worse than others, same as Irish people but one of the groups above (you decide!) just seem to be so wreckless and have no problem with endangering life with the method they control a car on the road.

Someone very close to me was almost seriously injured or killed by one of these idiots this evening and I'd just love to know does our government do anything to screen these people before handing them a licence/allowing them to drive using their own licence which may not be worth the paper it is written on.

:mad:
    I hear where you are coming from but any of my near misses have come from home gown drivers, well, they looked irish and drove irish reg cars.

Aside from that, do you think a government that can't sort out the driving of its own population will be able to do anything people from other countries?

How would you do it? Irish drivers can hit the roads with no training, under what basis do you require other nationalities to sit a test of competancy or training?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Anyone with an EU license can drive here. People coming from outside the EU have to get a license here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd be happy enough if all the Irish drivers had received some training ...not all foreign licences are given away, you know.
    Some people actually had to work hard, sweat lots and pay loads for theirs (me for example:D )

Yet I pay more insurance than my wife (who hasn't the first idea about driving) would on a "provisional" license.

Sort that out first and then come back to me about "them foreigners"

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

As was stated, there is absolutely no requirements to getting a provisional licence other than age, so government hands you a licence and allows you to drive a one tonne lump of metal around at speed regardless of nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

MarkN wrote:

I've driven in France and the UK without anyone vetting me, my licence or my driving. I got no training for their roads. It's up to the individual driver to acquaint themselves with the relevant laws of the country they are driving in.

I'm guessing you'd be the first to complain if you flew to some foreign part and was met at the airport and given 40 hours of instruction* before you were allowed to take your hire car on their roads.

*Some random number. Fill in the number of hours training you expect foreigners to get when they get here, full licence or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

nialler wrote:
    there is absolutely no requirements to getting a provisional licence

Not strictly true, you do need an eyetest ;)

I am pretty neutral to the recent influx of immigrants. I agree there are a lot of bad foreign drivers, but no worse than the home grown examples. Equally uninsured drivers come from both home and abroad.

I see two problems: one is that people are inclined to give more leeway to our own. The second is the lack of traceability. Its easier for a foreign driver to disappear in the event of something happing. In relation to this it is the EU that need to sort out some traceability based on licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Brillo_pad

i live in an area that has a lot of immigrants and while a lot of them seem to be very inexperienced drivers and do stupid things like forgetting to indicate they tend not speed so i would not classify them as more dangerous than some of our own drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

wingnut wrote:
    Not strictly true, you do need an eyetest ;)
    Uhh, theory test? Technically you should at least have half a clue about the rules of the road from doing that, but I guess some people can't relate that book to the real world... or something...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I really think that until we sort out our own sorry provisional licence system, that complaining about the standards of "foreign" drivers is a bit like the kettle calling the pot black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Slow coach wrote:

I'm guessing you'd be the first to complain if you flew to some foreign part and was met at the airport and given 40 hours of instruction* before you were allowed to take your hire car on their roads.

The difference is, I've proved myself, many years ago and have the NCB to prove it. I've driven in places like NZ and Oz because it was like hopping into your car at home but I have to say despite my experience, if I was somewhere that they drove on the right, I would think twice about getting behind the wheel.

If the people I'm talking about were up to full licence standard then they wouldn't do things like swerve onto a slip road on the M50 at the very last minute forcing an artic two cars behind to narrowly miss plouging through a load of cars in front.

Of course there are plenty of rubbish Irish drivers but there's a lot more bad foreign drivers from places where I named above per head.

MarkN wrote:
    The difference is, I've proved myself, many years ago and have the NCB to prove it.
    Very good. That is something you should be proud of, and I am not being sarcastic here. Unfortunatly we have over 400k drivers that have not proved themselves, how about we sort them out?
    MarkN wrote:
    Of course there are plenty of rubbish Irish drivers but there's a lot more bad foreign drivers from places where I named above per head.
    For a start we have over 400k that have either not sat a test of competency ro have sat one and failed. Add to this the 20 odd thousand that woke up one mornign to find a spanky new license had arrived in the post. And then add to that the fact that even for those that have passed the standard of driving is, for the most part, fcuking awful verging on downright dangerous.

Lets sort out our own affairs, then we might be in a position to hold visitors to some kind of standard. I really don't see how we can try to enforce a minimun standard on visitors when we can't even do for our own citizens.

It would be great fo rthe anti immigration lot though..." fcuking asylum seekers, coming over here stealing our wimmin, our jobs, our dole and our driving test slots...."

MrP

MarkN wrote:
    The difference is, I've proved myself, many years ago and have the NCB to prove it. I've driven in places like NZ and Oz because it was like hopping into your car at home but I have to say despite my experience, if I was somewhere that they drove on the right, I would think twice about getting behind the wheel.

Proved? How? By driving in NZ and Oz you've proved EVERY Irish driver competent to drive abroad, so long as it's on the left?

So all we need is ONE driver for EACH foreign nation to drive competently here to PROVE ALL foreign drivers competent?

Listen Slowcoach, I'm not in this thread to have a tit for tat with you or anyone else.

My point on driving in those countries was that they drive on the same bloody side of the road as us and it was something you could do without blinking, nothing else.

You seem to have this notion that I or every other full licenced driver in this country is a danger to everyone around them once they leave the country.

If you wanna fight for foreigners rights in this country do it somewhere else, you can't escape from the fact that a lot of the drivers I mention are a disgrace and I won't get away from the fact that we have lots of brutal Irish drivers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

MarkN wrote:
    The difference is, I've proved myself, many years ago and have the NCB to prove it.

Am, how do you know the people you're slandering don't have full NCB in their countries too? You're making stupid sweeping generalisations with little or no statistics to back them up.
    MarkN wrote:
    I've driven in places like NZ and Oz because it was like hopping into your car at home but I have to say despite my experience, if I was somewhere that they drove on the right, I would think twice about getting behind the wheel.

I regularly drive in Poland, France and Italy. In fact, I'm off to Poland next week again, and spending a week in a hire drive car. All you have to remember is that the middle of the road is next to the driver, and you generally don't make mistakes when turning at junctions. For someone who's 'proved themselves', you have a fear of driving on the other side of the road? Doesn't say much for your confidence in yourself as a driver. Perhaps you should train some more before making assumptions about other people's abilities to be ambidexterous on the roads?
    MarkN wrote:
    If the people I'm talking about were up to full licence standard then they wouldn't do things like swerve onto a slip road on the M50 at the very last minute forcing an artic two cars behind to narrowly miss plouging through a load of cars in front.

Full License Standard? I'm sorry, is there sarcasm intended here? Most Full License Irish drivers I know are appauling. And most European drivers I know would leave us for dead in terms of hazard awareness and anticipation.
    MarkN wrote:

Have you statistics to prove this, or are you presenting your opinion as fact?

MarkN wrote:

You seem to have this notion that I or every other full licenced driver in this country is a danger to everyone around them once they leave the country.

You seem to have this notion that every other full licenced driver new to this country is a danger to everyone around them.

I don't make any generalisations about drivers from here, there or anywhere. You're the one making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

If you're a fully qualified driver then driving on the continent or in the states shouldn't make a difference, the first minute or so is slightly confusing but you tend to be much more careful and remember driver's side is always to the centre of the road, now driving your own car on the continent would be a bit of a mindf*k due to inability to see when overtaking.

And when you're driving regardless, trust nobody, assume they're going to do something utterly ridiculous so give yourself space and time to react in a safe manner, very simple really.

Slandering?!!! Ned, you'd want to cop the you know what on. I'm not going to get into a personal thing but my driving ability certainly doesn't need to be questioned by the like of you!!
    ned78 wrote:
    Am, how do you know the people you're slandering don't have full NCB in their countries too?

Em maybe because they can barely drive.

This has turned into a typical boards thread, with the likes of Ned and Slowcoach's 'I am God' approach to trying to make a point, you must be using different roads to me so.

I'm out of this one lads, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

MarkN wrote:
    Slandering?!!! Ned, you'd want to cop the you know what on. I'm not going to get into a personal thing but my driving ability certainly doesn't need to be questioned by the like of you!!

Well, if you're going to make stupid statements with zero facts to back them up, yes, I will question you, as will other boardsies.
    MarkN wrote:
    This has turned into a typical boards thread, with the likes of Ned and Slowcoach's 'I am God' approach to trying to make a point, you must be using different roads to me so.

It's not so much of an 'I am God' approach, rather more an approach that we've driven in Europe comfortably, and some of us have advanced driving training under belt too, and you by your own admission would have issues doing the same. So, because of your pre-conceived notion that it's dangerous, you label all "Foreign drivers in Ireland" as dangerous, untrained, and irresponsible. Which is overly simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I am a foreign driver and I am a damn sight better than most of the irish.
    You guys are the worst drivers outside of Indonesia that I have had the pleasure of driving with. Not a single day goes by without me seeing a prime example of road stupidity. If I was to head to dublin you can multiply that by 10.
    You dont actually have to do anything to start driving here, and you have a test of such basic simplicity that everyone is super confident that they are fantastic driver when they pass.
    Not to mention that there are some serious anger issues.
    Seeing irish people complaining about bad drivers from other countries requires a rolleyes smiley of such magnitude that it will be decades before the internet technology exists to display it.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    So, because of your pre-conceived notion that it's dangerous, you label all "Foreign drivers in Ireland" as dangerous, untrained, and irresponsible.

Yep, I said that. :confused:

Ned people like you that twist posts, can't read what it actually says and then post bull which is a complete exaggeration of what was said annoy me no end. Talk about drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Jumpy, cool it, you're giving the rest of us 'furreiners' a bad name.

The average standard is somewhat lower, but there are many reasons for it, both historical and political, and the "system" thankfully appears to be catching up fast - so let's just cut slack both ways, shall we.

Peace unto you lot :)

MarkN, I'm verry sorry to have to say it, but you do sound like a Troll.

ambro25 wrote:
    Jumpy, cool it, you're giving the rest of us 'furreiners' a bad name.

The average standard is somewhat lower, but there are many reasons for it, both historical and political, and the "system" thankfully appears to be catching up fast - so let's just cut slack both ways, shall we.

Peace unto you lot :)

*waves finger out window and spits at ambro25 while undertaking at 180km/h*
    "raarrrararageddafarkoutovvit"

Jumpy wrote:
    I......and you have a test of such basic simplicity that everyone is super confident that they are fantastic driver when they pass.
    Yet over 50% of the people taking this test fail it....:confused:

MrP

Don't want to that, m8.

(See, unlike MarkN rant suggests, foreign little me has undertaken professional offensive/defensive driver training for VIP chauffeuring, and you'd soon find yourself waving bye bye to your finger, sheared off and laying in the middle of the M50 :D:p - in which case, you're quite right, "raarrrararageddafarkoutovvit" indeed does sound like a blood-curling cry of painful agony :D)

All the same, I guess that makes 2 Trolls on the thread - should make for interesting developments, can't wait...

ambro25 wrote:
    Don't want to that, m8.

(See, unlike MarkN rant suggests, I've undertaken professional offensive/defensive driver training for VIP chauffeuring, and you'd soon find yourself waving bye bye to your finger, sheared off and laying in the middle of the M50 :D:p - in which case, you're quite right, "raarrrararageddafarkoutovvit" indeed does sound like a blood-curling cry of painful agony :D)

All the same, I guess that makes 2 Trolls on the thread - should make for interesting developments, can't wait...

Its actually derived from the archives of my memory while driving to Bray along the M50.
    The guy actually undertook me while I was changing lanes from the outside lane to the inside after passing a truck. We actually shared lanes for the split second it took to get over the shock of what he was attempting to do.
    P.S - Spit does not tend to go in a straight line at 180. What didnt end up on his car, was smeared on his cheek.

Lads, you two have me in stitches.

You should sign up here, I hear they are looking for some acts to fill.

http://www.bulmerscomedy.ie/

You're still here?
    MarkN wrote:
    I'm out of this one lads, good luck.

I thought you'd gone home :confused:

mmm... still look like a Troll, from here - sorry! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

And Jumpy Doesn't? That aside ambro25, thanks for bringing a bit of measured opinion to this. You are correct, our system is and has been sh1te for years. If that was tightened up and more roads policed then a lot of our problems would be fixed. However, your point about driving standards being lower here is very generalistic. I believe that very much depends on where you are from yourself.Call me racist all you like, but the standard amongst many of the African drivers here is pure sh1t. Eastern European drivers DO drink and drive a lot, and overtake while driving LHD cars. Nordies think they're doing the circuit of Ireland. Just like we Irish tailgate, speed thru estates full of kids, and mash ourselves into ditches every weekend.
    My point? Driving styles and shortcomings ARE often unique
    to a person's origin. To deny that is PC in extremis. I can often tell if a poor driver is of foreign origin because I know an Irish driver wouldnt generally make that mistake. Those particular mistakes weren't being made here 10 years ago. Likewise you will have frequently seen errors here that you didnt at home. Thats probably why you see the standard as lower here.

• Advertisement

Johnnycabs wrote:
    And Jumpy Doesn't?

'Course he does - read my 2nd post again ;)

But I have a niggling feeling Jumpy is Irish and just out to take the p*ss (just as I am, tbh :D ).
    Johnnycabs wrote:
    However, your point about driving standards being lower here is very generalistic.

[correction]Relative to the rest of 'Western' Europe[/correction]

How is that? :)

Advertisement