Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Broadband

Options
  • 30-08-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    for anyone out there who uses O2 Broadband - is it any good?
    is it always on, have a low contention ratio, and are the speeds usually kept at around 3.6mbs?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 diddely

no ....it's complete toilet...:mad:
    it's 50k dial-up, i go it on trial for a week...they are getting it back tomorrow.
    the 02 dongle is loaded with a sim, so it's glorified phone surfing.
    also it depends on the quality of O2 signal in youre area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Its perfect for me. as fast as normal broadband. no complaints at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

sorry to divert

kaizersoze - is there an app that I can use to track traffic etc

my boss has got it on a trial basis for his own lappie thro our company O2 acount and he just want to track usage , and quality ( QoS I guess)

he is under the impression I now everything and I don't want to disillusion him

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Patrick79

I am still totally undecided as to whether to get O2 Broadband or not.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I had it for a week but switched to 3...3's download was faster (since I could get HSDPA/3G in my area with 3 and no other provider) but 3's other problems ruined their service - SMTP, FTP, the Internet just stopping to work for up to 5 minutes at a time, constant downtime etc.

I've since reverted to O2 and while the speeds are akin to 6 or 7xdial-up ..it's a welcome improvement and it's also a better service (though certainly not faster in my area) than 3.

Usage can be monitored by registering your number (on the SIM pack) on o2.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

the 02 dongle is loaded with a sim, so it's glorified phone surfing.

ROFLMAO and how exactly do you think any mobile broadband solution is able to function. hey, DSL needs you plug in a phone line so its glorified dial-up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

JNive wrote:
    ROFLMAO and how exactly do you think any mobile broadband solution is able to function. hey, DSL needs you plug in a phone line so its glorified dial-up

As his name suggested..he knows Diddley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

In the greater Dublin area is it any good?

Is it really only 56K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

I set it up on a mates laptop when he was down in Wexford, was slower than the dial up i had back in the day, he brought it back to Dublin and said it was decent. Cant say what speeds hes getting from it now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

in letterkenny i get speeds of 1.5mbps. i can also play halo online, with no lag. it all depends on whether you get a 3g signal or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Does anyone have any updates to add to this thread? I'm currently looking at my options for getting a connection like this (no landline), and am a bit alarmed reading experiences on another option (Ripwave). I'm in the Citywest area, and get good O2 reception on my mobile, if that matters. Would be hoping to use the connection just for general surfing, and a bit of downloading, nothing too heavy (not for online gaming or P2P stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

biologikal wrote: »
    Does anyone have any updates to add to this thread? I'm currently looking at my options for getting a connection like this (no landline), and am a bit alarmed reading experiences on another option (Ripwave). I'm in the Citywest area, and get good O2 reception on my mobile, if that matters. Would be hoping to use the connection just for general surfing, and a bit of downloading, nothing too heavy (not for online gaming or P2P stuff).

there's a 30 day money back guarantee so u'll never know till u try it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

From what I gather the speed you get is totally governed by
    (a) being in HSDPA coverage and
    (b) the number of mobile broadband users in your area

So I would check the coverage map on the O2 website for (a), and as for (b), the only thing to do is to get it and try it out at different times of the day.

Advertisement