Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jogging and Walking and Injured - First Time Marathon

• 30-08-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭

I'm currently training for October's Dublin marathon, this will be my first marathon. I'm male in my mid thirties and have little running experience.

Due to an injury when I started last Feb (now healed) I've been training by both jogging and walking. My aim is to complete the marathon in about five hours, but time is not really that important to me and my main goal is to finish.

I did 12 miles last Sat in about 2hrs 35mins. My training starts with a 10min walk, then a 20min jog, 10min walk, 20min jog etc, etc.

I developed a sore spot on the inside of my shin bone, to the front of my calf muscle last week. Some days it's quite sore and other days it's OK. I went to a physio yesterday and he was of the opinion that it was localised muscle soreness, not a shin splint and that I could continue training.

I did 6 miles yesterday evening and was fine after it. However, it is really sore today. So much so that I've got a bad limp when I walk round the office and I've missed my 4mile walk/jog today.

My worry is that if I miss my scheduled 14 mile "long run" on Sat I won't be able to do the marathon.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do you feel that alternating between 10min walks and 20min jogs is a good strategy?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Henri wrote:
    I did 6 miles yesterday evening and was fine after it. However, it is really sore today. So much so that I've got a bad limp when I walk round the office and I've missed my 4mile walk/jog today.

This would concern me a little, as it means that training has aggravated the injury. Whilst you may not have developed shin splints, you've definitely injured some muscle. Rest is probably a good option at this stage.
    Henri wrote:
    My worry is that if I miss my scheduled 14 mile "long run" on Sat I won't be able to do the marathon.

I wouldn't worry about missing one long run in the interest of healing an injury. What kind of step-ups are you using in your long runs - is it 16 next weekend? Can you postpone your 14 miler until midweek? i.e. you could do it Mon/Tues and then your following long run on Sun and then get back to your Saturday long runs.

Henri wrote:
    Also, do you feel that alternating between 10min walks and 20min jogs is a good strategy?

Whatever you feel most comfortable with! If you're looking to get around, and you are confident doing this, then go for it! Doing 12 miles at 2:35 at this stage would suggest you should do 5hrs on the big day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Peckham, thanks a lot for your helpful response. Yes the 14 mile long run is followed by three 16's, then two 18's and tapering after that.

My leg is still quite sore but it is better today than it was yesterday. I might try walking the 14 miles on Sunday / Mon and see if I can resume my normal programme after that, depending on how I get on.

Thanks again.

Advertisement