Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux- will I or won't I?

• 30-08-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just looking to ask a question or two and looking for a few opinions...

Right why should I get Linux?
    Which version if I were to get it?

Right here's the scenario.
    My nephew's computer- he corrupted Win XP registry files.
    He has no OS disc (for repair or reinstall) and is not willing to spend for a new OS disc/license.
    Right so I told him about possibility of Linux and he asked me to follow it up so here I am...
    Okay, he is wondering about compatibility for games and software.
    Will he be able to play, say, Soldier of Fortune on it?
    Or browse with Firefox etc. You get the picture!
    Does it have an easy learning curve?

Guys thanks for any help, much appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It's possible to repair the registry, maybe you should start in the Windows forum first. Windows games won't play without major alterations in
    linux.
    My preference in Mandriva if it matters, but I'd get XP repaired if I were you for your relation. Linux would be more trouble than it's worth for your relative.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

If he has a license for windows (e.g. sticker attached to the box with the product key), there's no problem with borrowing a disk from someone and using that to install a fresh copy of windows should he want to go that route.

Firefox etc. will work fine but games are likely to be an obstacle to a linux install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If the computer is to be used for general computing, e.g. Internet, Word processing and general office software, then Linux will fit the bill perfectly.

If, however, you want to do things such as games or connecting a digital camera, it will take a little more work. TBH, if the end-user is non-technical then forget it. Look up Wine on Linux for a taste of what is involved in getting games to run. :)

As henbane says, if you have the product key, then there is no problem borrowing a Windows XP disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Honestly I recommend anyone try linux, but to get all your PC components up and running properly, you'd want to know quite a bit about it....to the point where fixing the windows registry would actually be ALOT easier!
    If you want to, I'd recommend Ubuntu 7.04 because it there isn't much work involved in installing it. Firefox comes preinstalled on Ubuntu. Getting games to work on linux is a pain in the ass, especially if you have to use WINE.
    I never use linux for games, but I do use it for everything else.
    Just a quick note, there's always a backup of the windows registry made somewhere. I can't for the life of me remember where, but google it and you'll probably find it. You'll probably need to boot into dos using a boot disk.
    Get a boot disk that will mount NFTS here: http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey guys, there is a partition on the hard drive for a repair and recovery, but that proves useless if I get a BSOD after Bios boot!
    The sticker for windows is there alright but thought getting an install disc might be harder than imagined, then there is the added problem of barely getting past boot so how would it be possible to reinstall?!
    Anyway lads, I will pose a question later tonight over on the windows forum.
    Thanks for your time and help anyway guys!
    James.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

For moving to linux one gotcha that got me when moving the folks was printer support.

If he has a printer check the model here. It might add a bit to the cost if he has to buy a new printer (I did).
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

he won't be happy with linux if he plays quite a lot computer games. but I recommend everyone Ubuntu whos not a gamer!

Advertisement