Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Rules & Violation

• 30-08-2007 9:33pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Iv a question. Boards.ie implements rules regarding signatures, and some users (often called the "Sig Police") report such signatures and send out messages. While the majority of people will kindly change their signature to match the guidelines, some wont.

For example, this user;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=37838

Been contacted at least twice. Ignored requests. (According to the SIGPO-Notify topic)

So, what happens to users who ignore the rules and requests? Iv seen plenty of signatures that are in violation been removed (mine was a good while back - wasn't notified though) but there are others who seem to just get away with it which isnt very fair on those who comply / had signatures removed. I'm just curious as to the procedure - this is in no way intended to be a complaint or a rant. :)

Post edited by Shield on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats wrong with that sig?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

:confused: - has it been changed since posting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Centered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Maybe he was asked by pm because its only a minor infringement of the rules?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think that signature was to wide, and to big (was a good bit over 20k). Though, I cant find the rule about not centering signatures so I just pointed it out it was to wide/big.

I believe the approach is you contact him once, and if they dont change it, a mod removes it.

EDIT: The user complied with my PM anyway, though I didn't point out no-centering as I cant find the rule. Had not noticed the change, the old version was still displaying to me until I cleared cache!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I was the first to PM him and used approved PM ... the response was "Report me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Fixed.

Grand so, I'll list another few hundred for you ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Go play with your baby for a while 6th

I'm not allowed have him in the office since the nappy incident.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Good job Ruu, but could someone please point out where it says "No Centering"? I might have over-looked it, but I cant seem to track it down.. ;|

So I take it, if the signature rules are ignored after a PM - a mod does snip/change it? Do the SIGPO come to the mods, or do the mods come to them?

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

People in glass houses???

All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, and you can't have both text and images.

* For text signatures: 4 lines normal size OR 8 lines small size, and up to 90 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. Do not use the [.quote] [./quote] tags.
    * For images in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size. No animated images are allowed.

Half of boards has text/images together. Even the admins do. I assumed that was acceptable.. always seemed a pointless rule..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have rules, then we have rules that we enforce. If you are a dick, we enforce the nasty rules we have. If you arent a dick you get to bend the rules a little. Implicit in this is that dicks get fncked because they are assholes.

I have to go lie down now.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We are waiting for the next version of vB that will (maybe) have better control of how signatures are set up.

Generally, if your sig stops the flow of reading the page because it's a big eyesore or a big fecking ad it will get reported and deleted. If a user that have been told puts sig back he/she might be banned for a bit.

DeVore wrote:
    We have rules, then we have rules that we enforce. If you are a dick, we enforce the nasty rules we have. If you arent a dick you get to bend the rules a little. Implicit in this is that dicks get fncked because they are assholes.

I have to go lie down now.

DeV.

Completely agree with that approach. I assume the bending of rules for the text/images together is the main one bended?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Here's a rough summary of what has changed over time:
    1. Text and images ARE allowed, provided they remain within the current rules.
    2. The flickr.com embedded links are allowed (I reported numerous and none were removed so I assume they are okay).
    3. Those userbars (userbars.org) are allowed.
    4. Centred (or right justified) sigs are generally a no-no.
    5. A few kB/pixels over the limit are generally considered okay.
    6. vB quotes tags are not allowed.

And SMod discretion always seems to apply.
    (Rule 6 clarified after that post)

Surely it would take no more than a minute for Cloud/Dev or whoever to copy and paste these 6 points into the 1st post of the Sig Rules?

I know there's no desire to re-write the rules until the vB upgrade, but these are accepted allowances to the rules all members should be aware of.

It would clarify the whole issue for newbies and old-timers alike, as currently, it's near next impossible to know what's allowed and what's not unless you follow the issue intently.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There's one "rule"... dont be a dick.

You'll know your sig isnt acceptible, when we chop it. I'm not making cast iron rules (no pun intended) because cast iron dicks come along and be cast iron rules lawyers.

Don't be a dick, is the rule. The rest is our approximate explanation of what is, and isnt, dickish.

eg: Sully's sig is non-dickish. It flies under the radar. If he was being a dick, we'd slap him back to one or the other, image or text. This is an incentive to self-balancing, self-regulation.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The word "dick" has now lost all meaning to me.

Which is handy as I never used mine anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DeVore wrote:
    There's one "rule"... dont be a dick.

You'll know your sig isnt acceptible, when we chop it. I'm not making cast iron rules (no pun intended) because cast iron dicks come along and be cast iron rules lawyers.

Don't be a dick, is the rule. The rest is our approximate explanation of what is, and isnt, dickish.

eg: Sully's sig is non-dickish. It flies under the radar. If he was being a dick, we'd slap him back to one or the other, image or text. This is an incentive to self-balancing, self-regulation.

DeV.
    Yeah, but you're a dick and you have more than 90 characters per line on two lines.
    Biko, get him.

Seriously though, what's the problem with the quote tags?
    Is it an extra strain on the database?
    Not that I want to use them or anything. Just curious.

Sorry Terry. Dev's Kung Fu is stronger than mine :(
    Tbh, I don't know why quote tags are bad, I'm just an enforcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

biko wrote:
    Tbh, I don't know why quote tags are bad, I'm just an enforcer.

Typical bloody polizei :p enforces the rules and they don't know why they're enforcing them..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53795301&postcount=2102

Perhaps that'll clear it up.. I believe you describe it as stopping the flow of the thread..

We have never had a explanation by Cloud afaik as to why quotes were bad. Maybe it's just the cosmetics of it all, rather than server load.
    Because it's does look like a post and draws attention.

A member of the SIGPO breaking its own rules! :P

Quote tags in sigs look like the start of a new post and frankly, they're ugly. Italics are much better.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I see where you're coming from.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

DeVore wrote:
    Quote tags in sigs.

Could the entry of quote tags into the sig editor textarea be prevented?

possibly in the next version of vB which Cloud is currently steeling himself to install. It has a lot more controls available to us on the sig editor.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

TBH the rules are there for a reason. It bugs me how people bend and manipulate the rules to suit themselves. :(

To be fair you probably should change it as its animated..

Ill pretend I didnt see it so wont send a message, but the others might.