Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G92 is due 11/12 - but is it 256-bit mid-range/mainstream?

Options
  • 30-08-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Okay, 8/29, Vr-Zone posted this article http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5207:

Recently, I heard that the nov. release is more likely to be an 8700 series than an 9800/8900 series. But, confusion ruled and no one was sure what it would be, with most hoping for a new high end.

However, the HKEPC article (http://www.hkepc.com/?id=45 - it is in Chinese), the same group that brought us concrete Intel price slashes for the last couple of times, translated says that the G92 is more likely to replace the 8800GTS as a mainstream card, while the G98 is slated to compete against the RV260/2600/2400 refresh. It *does* make sense, however, as the 2950Pro is slated to be released before the end of the year and im sure Nvidia will not pass up an opportunity to fight its archrival, AMD.

Also, this isn't the first time that the vaunted G92 was rumored to be more midranged than high-end. This does, however, lead to the question of whether a high end will even show up by the end of this year or if it will be held onto until ATI shows what it can do with R700 or the refresh of the R600. After all, Nvidia is the one waiting on what card ATI decides to show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yup thats pretty much what everyone was expecting I wasn't surprised either that they stuck with the 8 series name as it was too soon for a 9 generation.

An 8900GTS is certain at this stage. Anything higher up the table will be kept under raps but I would not be surprised at all by a an 8900GX2 either.

Also noteworthy in the hkepc article when spit through the translator claims that the pre-existing GeForce 8 series are all already DX10.1 compatible and NVIDIA is just waiting till Vista SP1 is ready to release a driver.

ATI have a R600 part coming out in September that is a replacement for the X1950pro after that at end of year will be RV670 which are the real refresh, R700 wont be raising it's head anytime soon I guess certainly not until well into 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

8900GX2

I think i just came.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

eww

It's pretty much history repeating itself with a refined version of the existing architecture.

GeForce 6 {NV4x} -> GeForce 7 {G7x}

GeForce 8 {G8x} -> GeForce 8 {G9x}

With the refined 7900GT NVIDIA just slapped two together and called it day owning the high end & thats all they have do again & they aren't even under any pressure this time. SLI 2.0 might make an appearance or not I'm not sure anyone knows what it was meant to be but NVIDIA referenced it some time ago but not has shown in any of their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

8T8 wrote:

Also noteworthy in the hkepc article when spit through the translator claims that the pre-existing GeForce 8 series are all already DX10.1 compatible and NVIDIA is just waiting till Vista SP1 is ready to release a driver.

This is good news.. I hope it rings true.

It stands to reason the GTS should have enough power to see most games on high settings through for a while givin the poor performance of midrange cards (I hope). I did read something about the 320 MB version suffering in DX 10 in Call of Juarez though.. Buyer Beware http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM4NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

• Advertisement

Well it is perhaps speculation no telling where they got that info from but it would be nice if true with 10.1 support.

Anyway VR-Zone who have been pretty good with NV info are saying that G92 is not in fact the 8900GTS that people have been thinking off but it's in fact an 8700GTS.
    VR-Zone has learned more about the upcoming Nvidia G92 where the official marketing name is most likely to be GeForce 8700 GTS. As revealed earlier, G92 is 65nm based and has 256-bit memory bus width. The reference 8700 GTS card has 8-layer PCB and comes with 512MB GDDR3 1ns memories so the memory clock of G92 is estimated to be between 900Mhz to 1GHz. Core clock is unknown yet.

Further details;
    VR-Zone learned that G92 reference card is 9-inch long, same length as the GeForce 8800 GTS but it is single slot. The PCB version is P393. The 1ns DDR3 memories are arranged in 16Mx32x8PCS array. The card has outputs like HDTV, HDCP, DVI, but no display port yet. Expect some interesting PCB and cooler designs from the card makers at launch.

Also G98 is some low end affair.

If thats all true then that changes a few things as depending on the name it may or may not be a replacement for the 8800GTS.

If for instance they are phasing out the 8600/8800 lines in favor of the 8700/8900 line then the 8700 might be better than the 8800GTS but if it is not then it surely filling in a gap in performance between the 8600 and 8800.

The fact that it's single slot to me is a strong hint that a GX2 is coming in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Advertisement