Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATHS Vs IRISH

Options
  • 30-08-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

hi im going into 6th year now and am currently doing honours maths and irish. i got 55% in the fifth year summer exams in both of them but now i have to decide whether to do honours in maths OR irish and drop one of them to pass.im definitly droping down to pass in one of th subjects in the next week or so and im just wondering which one has the lesser work load and which one takes up more time?any advice? CHEERS!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Didn't do honours maths but as a nationalist I simply must insist that you do honours Irish and do your counrty proud.

Pearse didn't die for nothing you know!!!

Baguh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Well, most people would drop Irish because
    Honours Maths is needed for Eng courses and the like, Irish is only needed for Primary Teaching
    Higher Irish As are generally seen as being sewn up by fluent speakers and Gaeltacht heads
    You need an ear for languages to get an A in Irish, whereas an A in Maths can theoretically be obtained by learning it all off
    It's easier to study Maths than Irish-papers, papers and then more papers-Irish involves learning off reams of phrases and essays and the like.

When all's said and done, it's more a matter of which you hate less-there's a lot of work involved in both.

IMO there's more work in the old Matamataice, because the only way to study is by doing papers, but I always found studying Irish monotonous and a real gring, learning off phrases. I didn't mind the same work in French, because I prefer the subject, but I always found it hard.

Try to stick with both until Christmas. After that, you'll be better informed by having done more of the course, and there's loads of time for you to get your A in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

cartman444 wrote:
    im definitly droping down to pass in one of th subjects in the next week or so!

Why? Wouldn't it be better to do them both till midterm, see which one you're struggling at most, and drop then? You can't make an informed decision based on what other people think, it mostly depends (i would think) on your ability at both subjects. My advice therefore would be to work at both subjects for maybe more than a day before you make a rash decision about dropping down in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Don't make mad decisions based on what people on the internet tell you. If you like/dislike both subjects equally which do you think you will be able to work in? Check the requirements for whatever courses you are thinking of and see do you need honours in maths or Irish. Ask your teachers whether they think you should drop down or keep working. In my school they adised people to drop in maths so loads of people did and got As rather than Ds or fails. In Irish a good few were terrified and dropped last minute to come out with high Bs and A2s. What I'm trying to say is people often decide to drop down before they give the course a chance. Keep both up until December at least. Once you start doing actual Leaving Cert exams you might be able to think about it more clearly.

Keep honours Irish!!

Baguh!

Baguh!

Baguh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anything goes

I did both honours Irish and Maths for the first few months of leaving cert and then dropped down to pass maths in march.There is definatly alot of work in both courses with Irish i always found if i worked hard I could get good results but with maths I always felt that the amount of work I put in never reflected my results. I'd give it some time at least maybe wait for your mocks. I found after dropping down that I had no problems whatsoever with the pass maths course and was able to spend more time on other subjects as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

In the real world of work, honours maths will be far more useful to you than honours Irish. Trust me, every day at work I regret my decision to drop honours maths (and I did do honours Irish).

It's a prerequisite for many of the more interesting courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I reckon hons. Maths would look a good bit better on your CV than honours Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

keep em both for the time being anyways n see what happens to your grades at midterm maybe?? check out the requirements for the college course u want to see do u need one in particular... personally id keep em both if there isnt a chance of u failing..could help u in the points race

Baguh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Selphie wrote:
    Why? Wouldn't it be better to do them both till midterm, see which one you're struggling at most, and drop then? You can't make an informed decision based on what other people think, it mostly depends (i would think) on your ability at both subjects. My advice therefore would be to work at both subjects for maybe more than a day before you make a rash decision about dropping down in either.

....yes because basing your decision on what the actual teacher thinks of your ability is just so ludicrous.;) Tell me, how would you make the decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Keep them both up... You still got a C in both, and besides that summer tests usually mean jack s**t. Both are actually very doable...I was never great at maths and got a B2 in honours. Many times during the year I wanted to drop back (and nearly did several times), there's simply no way you can tell by now unless you're clueless and/or failing. Dropping both now would just be laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

....yes because basing your decision on what the actual teacher thinks of your ability is just so ludicrous.;)

Actually, the majority of times it pretty much is... Grinds schools and all that aside, there are more bad teachers than good teachers in this country in case you haven't noticed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

....yes because basing your decision on what the actual teacher thinks of your ability is just so ludicrous.;) Tell me, how would you make the decision?

What I meant was; you can't make a decision on that based on the opinions of random strangers on the internet. That is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

In relation to an earlier comment, be very aware that maths is moving away from the whole 'you can get an A by learning things off' scene. The last few years have shown this. To get an A now you need to not learn things off, but be able to apply what you know to question types that you mightn't have seen before. If you understand the stuff it's simple, if you have it simply learned off now, it's not enough. You'll do fine, but you won't get an A.

That is why people have had such differences in opinion over the difficulty of maths in the last two or three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Selphie wrote:
    What I meant was; you can't make a decision on that based on the opinions of random strangers on the internet. That is just stupid.

Sincere apologies.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

done honours maths in the leaving, personally i would keep that up, so i did:p

dont forget that in some colleges they offer bonus points for honours maths too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 starkers-head

yea one college .....u creep

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are getting a C in both maths and irish at the moment, why change to ordinary level? Why do you say you have to drop down? A C in both is fine, make your decision after Christmas in LC, or after you have done your mocks, if you are passing your class tests, you shouldn't have major problems. It's only when you start failing regularly that you may need to consider changing. I did both honours maths and irish for my LC. I never got above 55 in Irish the whole two years but I came out with a B in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

yea one college .....u creep

Best thread revival EVER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

So what did the OP choose in the end?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement