Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manhunt 2 to be Released Uncut in Holland!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i dunno the dutch are very good with english. Id say it would be there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The box would be Dutch but the game itself won't be, they don't redo the dialogue into Dutch for example. Don't remember any game I ever bought having much or any Dutch in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It will still be illegal to import it here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I know that it's a lovely country for a quick weekend break.
    Great chips.
    Land's a bit flat though.

Oh and this, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Are you sure about that? Its legal to own it but illegal to sell it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

One article claimed customs would seize any copies people try to import, which is absolutely ridiculous.
    I'll just get my sister to send it to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Cmon,

This is a unique case where I would say a big **** you to the law.

I will get this version somehow be it downloading it or buying it from a relative in Amsterdam.

No way am I playing some watered down crap. This is actually looking really good unlike the first game.

Jules: So, tell me again about the video game stores?

Vincent: Okay, what you wanna know?

Jules: Manhunt 2 is legal there right?

Vincent: Yeah, it's legal, but it ain't a hundred percent legal. I mean, you can't walk into someone's house, power up their wii and start killing. You're only supposed to play in your home or certain designated places.

Jules: And those are the video game stores??

Vincent: It breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and, if you're the proprietor of a Video Game store, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if you get stopped by the cops in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

Jules: [Laughing] I'm going, that's all there is too it, I'm ****ing going

Vincent: Yeah baby, you'd dig it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

All technicalities aside, at least an uncut version of the game is going to be released somewhere in the world.

I was almost beginning to fear that we might never an uncut version anywhere.

I wouldnt get too worried about customs. i recently pciked up an asian version of Prey from play-asia.
    The game is in full english (including manual) and there is a sticker on the front of the box saying "not to be shipped out outside south east asia"!!!!

I agree with WellyJ, I too will be saying a big fook you to the law and getting my hands on this game somehow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

amsterdam is good, i bought kill bill 1 & 2 there special edition 2 disc DVD's they whrre out there almost 2 years ago and still arnt out here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So one can expect it on the torrent sites about 30mins after it goes on sale!
    Looking forward to seeing the Wii edition so!
    I believe Condemned 2 is almost as gratuitous, wonder of that'll get the ol' heave ho as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    So one can expect it on the torrent sites about 30mins after it goes on sale!
    Looking forward to seeing the Wii edition so!
    I believe Condemned 2 is almost as gratuitous, wonder of that'll get the ol' heave ho as well?
    They said they were working with the ERSB to make sure they don't get a AO rating. They already had to cut stuff :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

:eek:

Excellent. I knew the Dutch wouldn't let me down. Gotta love having them in region 2 ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

who cares tbqfh its a manhunt game.......

conzymaher wrote:
    who cares tbqfh its a manhunt game.......

Because its actually meant to be very good, unlike the **** original game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WellyJ wrote:
    Because its actually meant to be very good, unlike the **** original game

Correction, It's got one or two good reviews from magazines with exclusive reviews of the game. The same thing happened with the first manhunt which turned out to be a turd despite some great reviews. There was also a lot of controversy when Rockstar took the exclusive rights away from a handful of magazines that reviewd the game badly. Don't hold out much hope.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Are you sure about that? Its legal to own it but illegal to sell it here.

Yes. It's illegal to import for any use, the IFCO's ban made it so.

When I asked, Revenue pointed out the sections of law which made illegal and allowed them to take and destroy it.

I'm told by others in some cases (wasn't this game) the IFCO will give you a permit which allows import.

Master of the Universe

monument wrote:
    When I asked, Revenue pointed out the sections of law which made illegal and allowed them to take and destroy it.

Does anyone else find the thought of people actually going out of their way to physically destroy a videogame kind of...odd?

I wonder how they do it? Furnace? Big steam roller? Exorcist?

"Don't pick it up with your hands, use the tongs!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

Havent rockstar said although its not illegal in holland there still gonna just released the cut version over there too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It wouldn't make any sense for rockstar to release the uncut version in holland. Rockstar will almost definitely release a PAL version that is common to all European countries with all the languages across europe. Setting up just to produce an uncut version for a very small territory is not financially sound.

You must also remember that despite it not being banned in Holland it still has an ESRB rating of Adults Only and Sony and Nintendo refuse to support games with these ratings on their systems and therefore won't be released anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=20288

Great news, although I doubt the dutch version of the game will be in english :mad:

recent msn convo with my dutch mate

joe says:
    dude when the game is released in holland will it be in dutch or english?
    Ibo says:
    English DUH
    Ibo says:
    there are no dutch games

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You must also remember that despite it not being banned in Holland it still has an ESRB rating of Adults Only and Sony and Nintendo refuse to support games with these ratings on their systems and therefore won't be released anyway.

Games rated 18 are released in Europe by Nintendo and other publishers all the time. 18 in America would signify adults only. So there is a difference between what adults only is in different regions.

We already have an example of this situation happening. Fahrenheit was given an Adults only rating in America. Similarly to Manhunt 2, it was cut so these companies would allow it to be released on their systems.

It was released uncut in Europe on systems which have a no adult titles policy. Therefore it would seem that if a game is given AO in the States, it is viewed by publishers as AO in that region only.

Europe doesn't use ESRB but PEGI instead.

PEGI have an 18+ rating but no AO specific one. So Rockstar should be able to choose to have a PEGI rating, get an 18+ cert which is the max they can give out. Then there'd be no trouble having it released by Nintendo or Sony in countries that haven't deemed the game illegal.

I hope so anyway :)

Alright I've been corrected. Still my point stands on it being very unlikely that Rockstar will only release the uncut version in Holland. It's financially better to just release a standard PAL version with the 5 languages across the whole of Europe like everyone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Alright I've been corrected. Still my point stands on it being very unlikely that Rockstar will only release the uncut version in Holland. It's financially better to just release a standard PAL version with the 5 languages across the whole of Europe like everyone else does.

I agree with Retr0gamer. Holland does not have a huge gaming territory/population like America or Japan.

Rockstar have appealed the rating in the UK.
    If the appeal was successful I still think it would not be financially viable for them to release it in the UK only.

Also, the cut version is due at the end of Oct. Anyone who is going to buy Manhunt 2 will buy that version and I cant imagine the uncut version making it onto the shelves in any region before then.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Still my point stands on it being very unlikely that Rockstar will only release the uncut version in Holland. It's financially better to just release a standard PAL version with the 5 languages across the whole of Europe like everyone else does.

Well yeah, that's a different matter. I'd really like to see Rockstar "stick it to the man" and release it there uncut, but as you said it doesn't really financially benefit them at all.

Unless of course they plan on shipping hundreds of thousands of uncut copies to Holland for the purpose of exporting all over the world. Would be an interesting example of how the internet makes regional censorship useless.
    Also, the cut version is due at the end of Oct. Anyone who is going to buy Manhunt 2 will buy that version and I cant imagine the uncut version making it onto the shelves in any region before then.

I certainly won't be buying the censored version. Not because I'm a blood thirsty loon, but because I don't like buying censored versions of anything. If I have to, I'll wait for a PC uncut release.

o1s1n wrote:
    Well yeah, that's a different matter. I'd really like to see Rockstar "stick it to the man" and release it there uncut, but as you said it doesn't really financially benefit them at all.

Unless of course they plan on shipping hundreds of thousands of uncut copies to Holland for the purpose of exporting all over the world. Would be an interesting example of how the internet makes regional censorship useless.

Thats something I believe will fail. I don't think it will sell that well over the internet from exporters. One reason is that the casual gamer would hardly ever use the internet to purchase games let alone import them. The other reason is that despite the 18's certificate the game will get this game's biggest market will be the kiddie and impressionable teens market, a market without credit cards or the means to buy the game online. I was that age once and thought the god awful Mortal Kombat games were the best thing ever while now I wouldn't go near them or games like manhunt. It would be nice if it worked but I severely doubt it would or if rockstar would be stupid enough to do it.

On a side note despite being 24 and not exactly youthful looking, in america I was asked for ID whenever I bought a 18's certificate game. In Ireland you can walk into a shop at 10, buy the latest game on the daily mails ban list or if they don't let you get your mother to buy it for you. Ratings enforcement is a lot stricter in America.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It wouldn't make any sense for rockstar to release the uncut version in holland. Rockstar will almost definitely release a PAL version that is common to all European countries with all the languages across europe. Setting up just to produce an uncut version for a very small territory is not financially sound.

The game is supposedly ready or near ready in its uncut form, could you explain to me what costs you think would hinder a release in the Netherlands?

(And I stress the Netherlands, not just Holland. A Holland-only release is highly unlikely)

The game could easily slip in large amounts to the other Benelux countries and to Germany, and then possibly to a lesser extent France etc.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    On a side note despite being 24 and not exactly youthful looking, in america I was asked for ID whenever I bought a 18's certificate game. In Ireland you can walk into a shop at 10, buy the latest game on the daily mails ban list or if they don't let you get your mother to buy it for you. Ratings enforcement is a lot stricter in America.

What happens here can hardly be blamed on the retailers or the State here, parents are responsible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The recut game to be released won't be so bad, and even if they do cut out some features, who the heck is going to know, aside from game journos who got to play the finished uncut edition.
    And who's to say that the uncut one won't get a release at some point in the future?
    And yes, if children are playing inappropriate games or watching inappropriate DVDs then it is entirely the parents fault for not taking a bigger role in their childrens upbringing and reckon once the kid is quietly suckling on his cathode ray nipple then all is well, to paraphrase the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

Parents, and righteous society as a whole, have always tries to shunt blame for societies ills as far from their doorstep as possible, not realising that their own ignorance and unwillingness to become properly informed, no desire for a balanced view, simply bounce from one kneejerk reaction to another, fuelling papers like the Daily Mail with tirades against games clearly labelled for adults being played by children, anyone in the chain from the retailer to the individual playing the game could be at fault in some way, but the developer and publisher of such material can't be held responsible, that is, in fact immoral in itself.
    I mean you wouldn't blame Dreamworks or Speilberg if a child watched "Saving Private Ryan£ and got upset at the violence? Why should games be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

koneko wrote:
    I'll just get my sister to send it to me :)

do she manhunt often :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Shouldnt the title of this tread be "Manhunt could be released uncut in holland/netherlands" seeing as there was no mention of Rockstar saying its going to? The Dutch government has no power and is not bothered banning the game.

Advertisement